Charcoal canister query

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Hi all, any one know the correct pipe work to and from the carbon cannister in the inner fender of a 72 ? I saw a pic of an LT1 today and noticed two pipes exiting the pcv bung on the drivers side rocker cover. One was going , I presume to the carb, the other was heading down toward the inner fender. My 72 only has the one going to the carb, my engine bay smells a bit fuelly when hot and I seem to remember s pipe from my cannister blocked off with a cloth bung and a cable tie. I wondered if this was a possible reason. Do the cannisters need filling or servicing? TiA 👍

johng

CCCUK Member
The canister on my 78 seems to be a bit more complicated than yours, see diagram below. You probably don't have the carb bowl vent valve (from what I've read it's not that important anyway). I replaced the charcoal in mine, but had to cut the canister in half to do so and then glue it back together. You can buy a new filter that fits in the bottom of the canister.

carbon canister hoses.gif

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
The canister on my 78 seems to be a bit more complicated than yours, see diagram below. You probably don't have the carb bowl vent valve (from what I've read it's not that important anyway). I replaced the charcoal in mine, but had to cut the canister in half to do so and then glue it back together. You can buy a new filter that fits in the bottom of the canister.

View attachment 27844
Thanks johng, Crikey ! That is a complicated system ! Dont know if mine has much of that left or if ever had it from new. I will have a delve into what goes where on a 72 And what I actually have . 👍

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member