DIY a head

Waynio

CCCUK Member
So just faffing with ideas now. Time to chill as had a bust day on work and the Vette.

As i have the engine out and back to be done for spring i have time to spend on it. As well as other bits.

What can i do to standard cylinder heads to help it along a bit. I want to get 350hp, max really. So along with heads i will be getting a cam kit etc. also new inlet as that is standard aswell.

What can ii do to the heads myself. grind/polish up etc new valves maybe ?

I am not decided so open to all ideas on what to do and no rush.

Faffer :)

Biff.bailey

CCCUK Member
It depends on which heads you have.....if you have later, smog heads, then in all honesty, you are better off changing them.....vortec heads are a bolt on swap, although you would need the corresponding intake and valve covers etc....and they're probably the most cost effective way of better heads.
You could go to a set of ratio rockers to give a little more lift and duration to your cam.....

I just swapped mine to a pair of Chinese aluminium heads with 64 cc chambers and cut for 2.02 and 1.6 valves and an air gap intake.....I bought the heads bare, and sourced my own, quality valves/springs/ roller rockers etc....total price to me was about 1200 quid.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Getting a back-angle cut on the valves is supposed to be a good trick. I think 350 bhp with standard heads could be very difficult to achieve unless you fit a turbo!! Go for torque not bhp. The car with more torque vs bhp is the better one for street driving.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
When you say aiming for 350bhp, do you mean "at the wheels", or do you mean at the engine flywheel? There is a difference, and on a rolling road you can get 350hp all day long if you ask the rolling road chap to change the calibration so it reads all wrong - after all, if the machine says "350hp mate" and the printed bit of paper you have matches it, then its all good for pub bragging rights :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note -as FG above says - torque is better for a street driver. My little 327 last it was on a rolling road popped out around 245 ish BHP and about 300 lbs/ft. So no fireball when it comes to power, but has plenty torque for me and I'm finding it quick enough*.

*I still want Forrest Gump's or Roscobbc's engine in my car though.

Roscobbc

Pretty much exactly twice the torque of my tiny 327 :cool:. Envious? Me? Never..... :ROFLMAO:
Yes but perhaps you don't have the associated issue of the potential lack of traction (even with wide modern tyres) at higher speeds that can sometimes occur when you least expect it on our sometimes 'greasy' (from leaking and overfilling diesel trucks) road surfaces. Add-in some early evening dew on a cool summer evening and one can be heading off-road in no time.......

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Yes but perhaps you don't have the associated issue of the potential lack of traction (even with wide modern tyres) at higher speeds that can sometimes occur when you least expect it on our sometimes 'greasy' (from leaking and overfilling diesel trucks) road surfaces. Add-in some early evening dew on a cool summer evening and one can be heading off-road in no time.......
You are quite right - I can drive my "low power" C3 without too much thought about lack of traction as it just seems to grip all the time. I'm quite glad about it.

The only time I've ever lost traction in it was on grass, and even then it was just a tiny squiggle for a split second as I was pulling away.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Now why have these posts not been showing or any notifications shown up until now.

Anyway. As i need more to be done i am leaving this on the back burner for now. Wayyy to much to think about to get it back on the road.

Could be getting over excited here :)