How rare is my car ?

Coltstingray

CCCUK Member
Hi just wondered if there is a way to find out how rare our cars are?
Mine is a 1989 c4 genuine Z51 can't imagine there are many in the uk of this year.
Be nice to know, iv done the usual google search which didn't help

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Average resale for 1989 C4 as of today $13,000 US

A bit of info for 1989 C4

1. ·The RPO MN 6 manual transmission no-cost option for 1989 was a new 6-speed designed jointly by ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen) and Chevrolet built by ZF in Germany. A computer-aided gear selection (CAGS) feature bypassed second and third gears (and locked out fifth and sixth) for improved fuel economy in specific non-performance conditions.
  2. ·The Corvette Challenge race series terminated at the end of the 1989 sixty Challenge cars with standard engines. Meanwhile, CPC Flint Engine built special, higher horsepower engines which were shipped to the Milford Proving Grounds for storage, then to Specialized Vehicles, Inc. (SVI), Troy, Michigan, where they were equalized for power output and sealed. Bowling Green sent thirty cars to Powell Development America, Wixom, Michigan, where the roll cages and safety equipment were installed and the engines from SVI we switched with the original engines. At the end of the season, Chevrolet returned the original numbers-matching engines to each racer.
  3. ·The RPO Z5 1 performance handing package option continued in 1989 available only in coupes with manual transmissions. A new suspension option, RPO FX3, permitted three variations of suspension control regulated by a console switch. It could be ordered only with RPO Z51. The RPO Z52 sport suspension (1987-1988) was not a 1989 option. However, through all 1989 Corvette with FX 3 were Z5 is, these had Z52 springs and stabilizers for a wider range of suspension control. The only exceptions were the sixty Corvettes built for the Challenge race series, which had FX3 suspensions with Z51 springs and stabilizers.
  4. ·The standard six-slot, 16x8.5-inch wheel introduced in 1988 was discontinued for 1989. The twelve-slot, 1 7x9.S-inch style included with 1 988~s Z51 and Z52 options became 1 989~s standard equipment wheel.
  5. ·On April 19, 1989, Chevrolet advised dealers that the ZR-1 would be a 1990 model, not a late-release 1989. The reason cited was "insufficient availability of engines caused by additional development." About 100 1989 ZR-1 Corvettes were built for evaluation, testing, media preview and photography, but none were release for public sale.
  6. ·Seats were restyled, but the three choices of cloth, optional leather, or optional sport leather continued. Due to weight and fliel economy factors, Chevrolet intentionally limited sales of the sport leather seats by making them only available exclusively with Z5 1 -optioned models during 1989. The manual top mechanism was simplified for 1989 convertibles.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My 1968 Corvette is very rare - 1 of 1. There won't be another one exactly like it :ROFLMAO:

But generalise it a big more, and I know they'll be a fair few 1968 base models out there. But my car is unique to me.

Roscobbc

My 1968 Corvette is very rare - 1 of 1. There won't be another one exactly like it :ROFLMAO:

But generalise it a big more, and I know they'll be a fair few 1968 base models out there. But my car is unique to me.
Capt. You'll no doubt be interested to know there are 13 no. '68 Corvettes listed to CCCUK members.
That'll be a mix of 327's and 427's. There'll be a further mix of coupe's and vert's. I could perhaps try and split those numbers down.
Note. Not everyone will list their car details or give full details when joining the CCCUK - or update website details if/when selling/replacing/adding-to a car collection so the number could be a little larger. And of course there will be cars owned by non-members - I can think of a couple at least.
Interestly there is a member with a '68 Vette who has the registration no. 68 VET.......fantastic eh?
The following breakdown may not be totally accurate - 6 no. of the 13 are convertibles (so 7 no. coupe's). Colours. White 1 no. - Red 4 no. Blue 2 no. Silver 1 no. Black 2 no.
As a matter of comparison there are 14 no. C4ZR1's currently showing as registered to CCCUK members.
So when one considers the fact that C3's owners generally dominate the numbers of all other years by quite a margin it shows how rare a '68 really is!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Capt. You'll no doubt be interested to know there are 13 no. '68 Corvettes listed to CCCUK members.
Thanks for that breakdown, I found it quite interesting. Only 13 of us with 1968 models. I wonder if any of them are 327 base models like mine?

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Mine is a 1989 c4 genuine Z51 can't imagine there are many in the uk of this year.
Greetings! We have ten '89s in the Club, three of which are manual. We don't have data on which, if any, of the three are Z51. There may be others , of course, who are not members. Why not consider joining us? Annual membership is less than the price of half a tank of fuel and you would be most welcome! Give it some thought.

Cheers

Mark

Coltstingray

CCCUK Member
Greetings! We have ten '89s in the Club, three of which are manual. We don't have data on which, if any, of the three are Z51. There may be others , of course, who are not members. Why not consider joining us? Annual membership is less than the price of half a tank of fuel and you would be most welcome! Give it some thought.

Cheers

Mark
Hi thank you I was a member quite a few years ago, I let it lapse, thank you for the information, as a point with there being only a few cars with a different spec not talking about seat options or colour, more like Z51, AND ZR1, and the other cars with stingray options as well, would it be worth taking them details to create a more accurate database of what's in the group, thank you again do you know where I could find the information I am after if you were trying to do this how would you go about it ?

Roscobbc

Each year when CCCUK members re-new their memberships (on line) they are encouraged to up-date, change and add-to their own personal and vehicle information held in the club records. So addresses, phone contacts, car photo's, vin numbers, history, vehicle options, colour, individual spec's, previous vehicle owners, etc, etc. The CCCUK fully observes the data protection rights of each individual club member and whether or not they choose to record their personal and vehicular details on the CCCUK membership database.

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Hi thank you I was a member quite a few years ago, I let it lapse, thank you for the information, as a point with there being only a few cars with a different spec not talking about seat options or colour, more like Z51, AND ZR1, and the other cars with stingray options as well, would it be worth taking them details to create a more accurate database of what's in the group, thank you again do you know where I could find the information I am after if you were trying to do this how would you go about it ?
I have found that one owner has noted his car as a Z51, but as Roscobbc says, we are dependent on people filling in the fields and/or giving us the information. Our MemSec tries regularly to encourage our members to update and fully complete the records, but it is hardly a legal requirement. Whilst quite a lot of fields allow for a member to enter multiple Corvette details if they own more than one [and most people only have one], we have 105 fields. Multiply this by the current membership of 964 members and we have a database with potentially 101,200 fields! We are reasonably confident that this is the most comprehensive database on the Corvette in the UK.

We have a rough rule of thumb that we have, we believe, around 50% of Corvettes in the UK as member's cars. This is based on various registration sites, word-of mouth etc. It could be 40% or it could be 60% but let's go with this!

We know from Corvette production figures that 2,224 coupes were Z51 [convertibles didn't have the option] out of 16,663 coupes made that year i.e. 13.34% or 1 in 7.5.

7 of our 10 are coupes, 3 of which are manual and one is known to be Z51. It is, on the balance of probability, that this is the only Z51 and would be half the UK total. Yours is the other as you are not yet a member. You could allow a balancing factor and add another one for good measure, but in reasonable likelihood, yours is one of 2 or 3 in the UK.

I am not aware of anyway of getting actual figures. Registration sites have the Corvette logged under multiple names [mine is known to the DVLA as a "Chevrolet GMC"!] Even if you could rely on this [which you can't], details such as the Z51 option just aren't captured. A reasonable "guesstimation" based on what info we do have is the best bet as above

Hopefully this will a] help and b] encourage you to join up and get to know other members and their cars. Just think what you might find out!

I now have a headache, so will go and lie down for a while!!!

Cheers,

Mark

Coltstingray

CCCUK Member
I have found that one owner has noted his car as a Z51, but as Roscobbc says, we are dependent on people filling in the fields and/or giving us the information. Our MemSec tries regularly to encourage our members to update and fully complete the records, but it is hardly a legal requirement. Whilst quite a lot of fields allow for a member to enter multiple Corvette details if they own more than one [and most people only have one], we have 105 fields. Multiply this by the current membership of 964 members and we have a database with potentially 101,200 fields! We are reasonably confident that this is the most comprehensive database on the Corvette in the UK.

We have a rough rule of thumb that we have, we believe, around 50% of Corvettes in the UK as member's cars. This is based on various registration sites, word-of mouth etc. It could be 40% or it could be 60% but let's go with this!

We know from Corvette production figures that 2,224 coupes were Z51 [convertibles didn't have the option] out of 16,663 coupes made that year i.e. 13.34% or 1 in 7.5.

7 of our 10 are coupes, 3 of which are manual and one is known to be Z51. It is, on the balance of probability, that this is the only Z51 and would be half the UK total. Yours is the other as you are not yet a member. You could allow a balancing factor and add another one for good measure, but in reasonable likelihood, yours is one of 2 or 3 in the UK.

I am not aware of anyway of getting actual figures. Registration sites have the Corvette logged under multiple names [mine is known to the DVLA as a "Chevrolet GMC"!] Even if you could rely on this [which you can't], details such as the Z51 option just aren't captured. A reasonable "guesstimation" based on what info we do have is the best bet as above

Hopefully this will a] help and b] encourage you to join up and get to know other members and their cars. Just think what you might find out!

I now have a headache, so will go and lie down for a while!!!

Cheers,

Mark
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to answer in such detail, I really appreciate that and because of this I will now look into joining again
Thank you

EJSC4

CCCUK Member
Its difficult to find this kind of info. I have a C4 which was manufactured in mid 1983 and was (I believe) the first euro spec C4 made. It was exhibited at the London Motorshow in October 1983 and registered for the road 1st December 1983. There are many differences in euro spec and USA spec cars. I have found that many second hand parts supplied do not fit mine. It has been suggested that my car was a prototype euro car, this might be true but I dont think there is any way to verify.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Its difficult to find this kind of info. I have a C4 which was manufactured in mid 1983 and was (I believe) the first euro spec C4 made. It was exhibited at the London Motorshow in October 1983 and registered for the road 1st December 1983. There are many differences in euro spec and USA spec cars. I have found that many second hand parts supplied do not fit mine. It has been suggested that my car was a prototype euro car, this might be true but I dont think there is any way to verify.
You've got the ex Jeff Beck car (How "cool" is that!!!) that was restored by Claremont/Tom Faulkener I think? Surprised there are "many" differences between US & Euro spec cars/parts dont fit. Seem to remember you were having probs with the ECU. Did you get that sorted if I may ask?

Last edited:

EJSC4

CCCUK Member
You've got the ex Jeff Beck car (How "cool" is that!!!) that was restored ny Claremont/Tom Faulkener I think? Surprised there are "many" differences between US & Euro spec cars/parts dont fit. Seem to remember you were having probs with the ECU. Did you get that sorted if I may ask?
Yes it is the Ex Jeff Beck car. There are many differences from the USA spec cars inc: no catyliser, 02 sensor, emission sensers, body work, glass, seat belts, lights(both front and rear) side repeaters, possibly more I cant think of. In answer to your question, yes we eventually got the problem solved. The original ECM no one could repair it, UK or USA, so we converted to USA spec ECM which neede the 02 sensor. So far it works. The car was not restored by Claremont they just got it running again and MOT,d. There has been lots of work done since and like all 40+ year old cars always more to do.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My 84 ( when I had it) was built in March 1983, but titled as an 84 as were all 1983 built cars. It was a US spec car. Didn’t realise the early Euro spec cars were that different. I know the glass issue was sorted out quite quickly so Europe would accept USA spec glass.