Insurance

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I sit here staggered. I've had the renewal for my daily this morning. Expecting yet another hike I'm amazed to see that the premium is £302. Last year it was £434!
Have insurance company's had some kind of epiphany? Mine's through the Post Office (apologies for dealing with such a thoroughly corrupt organisation) but they were the best quote on GoCompare about four years ago.
Anyone else found the same?

johng

CCCUK Member
Even stranger, I recently renewed my insurance and despite me picking 3 points on my licence for speeding, my insurance went down by £20.

johng

CCCUK Member
Couldn't have gone down much more, it was only £106. When I told the insurance company for my daily driver about the 3 points, they gave me a £20 rebate! I'm almost tempted to get another 3 points;)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Both my "classic" car insurance policies shot up this year by about £80 - £90, which as a percentage is pretty much 50% more added on to the premium from last year. No changes at all my side. Argued the toss with them and got it down to only a smaller increase. Annoying, as I don't drive them much and kept safely away etc.

phild

CCCUK Member
I had two pleasant surprises at renewal. Firstly my Corvette insurance went down by about £40 so all well there. Secondly my daily driver renewal quote was stupidly high. Did a comparison and went with Saga, as I'm and old 'un, for less than last years premium. Upon application they asked me about a claim I made last year. It was for a windscreen which i didn't think I needed to declare. Gave them the details and they revised the quote, went down by a further £20, great result.

Roscobbc

For those (perhaps like myself) of the septuagenarian generation with 'clean' licenses (but not always 'clean' driving intentions) and no recent insurance claims.......what is the going rate currently for insurance on a late model C6, C7 (perhaps C8) Vette.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
what is the going rate currently for insurance on a late model C6, C7 (perhaps C8) Vette.
Are you thinking of buying one Ross? Dont know about now, but 2 year ago my UK spec 2017 C7 Stingray was £335 (Full/Protected NCB/4k miles). That was with LV (Liverpool Victoria) including the special discount/deal you got (allegedly) for being a member of "Boundless" (previously CSMA). Unfortunately, LV dont seem to do "yanks" anymore since being taken over by Allianz. Guys with UK C8s, were getting the best deals with Admiral Gold policies according to discussion on the UK C8 Corvette Facebook page a couple of months ago. Howden insurance worth looking at too I think (they took over A-Plan).

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Unfortunately, the management of most motor insurers treat it as a commodity transaction rather than a risk-based one. There is some justification in this on the basis of the number of units of exposure i.e. there are a lot of cars to spread the risk [compare this with aircraft hull insurance]. Unfortunately, somebody high up usually wants to get revenue up, so they either drop prices or don't increase them enough [given that claims costs like everything else are going up]. This normally gains business but, given that the premium arrives [notionally] on day 1 but it then has to cover the next 364 days, the resultant pool of money is often not enough to cover the claims over those 364 days and then they panic and put the premiums up. This is where we are in the main market with all premiums being hiked. Sometimes this is even to discourage business, but that too will change and we will go round again. It has always been thus because of short-sighted decisions. A steadier rating and thus pricing structure would serve us all better over time but there you are. The classic car market should be better IF people with knowledge are allowed to do their job properly but this isn't always so. Couple this with the fact that many such insurances are actually part of a scheme which is run by the broker who has delegated underwriting authority from the insurance company. Again, this can go well or not. Generally it is better until someone comes along in the company and wants to make a name for themselves and changes things for no good reason! Regarding the C8 and LV - we will never know whether LV lost money on this type of vehicle and hence Allianz canned it or someone at Allianz just didn't like the thought of it. Either way, it will probably change again. Although I never did motor insurance per se, 30 years in the industry taught me that the ways of insurance company senior management are often dark but never pleasant.

Roscobbc

Are you thinking of buying one Ross? Dont know about now, but 2 year ago my UK spec 2017 C7 Stingray was £335 (Full/Protected NCB/4k miles). That was with LV (Liverpool Victoria) including the special discount/deal you got (allegedly) for being a member of "Boundless" (previously CSMA). Unfortunately, LV dont seem to do "yanks" anymore since being taken over by Allianz. Guys with UK C8s, were getting the best deals with Admiral Gold policies according to discussion on the UK C8 Corvette Facebook page a couple of months ago. Howden insurance worth looking at too I think (they took over A-Plan).
'IF' I 'moved-on' from my C3 (and that increasingly seems to be a big 'IF') perhaps a late C6/C7 could replace it...... I'm happy enough with limited mileage classic cover on the C3 at less than £200.......(it minimalises 'standing costs' if I choose not to use the car for an extended period) but given perhaps the fairly limited mileage I'd be likely to do in a late model car the provisional quotes I received a couple of years ago on a C6 were indicating around the £6/700 figure. Ok, so I live in an outer London borough and I 'only' have 4 years NCB.....but the £335 figure you mentioned is more or less what I'm currently paying to insure my 60 hp 999cc VW Up! daily driver!
The downside perhaps of living in a large, busy City I guess?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
'IF' I 'moved-on' from my C3 (and that increasingly seems to be a big 'IF') perhaps a late C6/C7 could replace it...... <SNIP!> Ok, so I live in an outer London borough
Out of interest, would a C6/C7 then mean you'd get stung for ULEZ? Or are they compliant?

Roscobbc

Out of interest, would a C6/C7 then mean you'd get stung for ULEZ? Or are they compliant?
Post 2005/2006 and one 'should' (repeat 'should'!) be OK in theory, certainly if an official GM UK dealer supplied car, and personal import too. But I do hear stories of American cars registered (which should be Ulez compliant) but with personal number plates getting charges and fines levied because the idiots at TFL haven't amended the cars compliancy status correctly. Most people do seem to 'get there' eventually.......

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
'IF' I 'moved-on' from my C3 (and that increasingly seems to be a big 'IF') perhaps a late C6/C7 could replace it?
Loved my C6 just as much as my C7 and would deffo have another C6. Bit surprised to see that a club member who was talking about selling his late 2007/"57" Plate LS2 Victory Edition (#23 of 250) on the CCCUK Facebook page a week or two ago has decided to auction it? And with a guide price of £16- £18k, plus buyers premium etc presumably.

Last edited: