New owner

David123

Regular user
Hi all .. just bought a c7 Grandsport manual .. fancy doing a few mods like short shifter , x pipe /secondary cat delete and maybe a wilder cam .. I am based near guildford Surrey .. is there anyone near me that anyone could recommend to do all of this ? Thanks

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Great car! Ian Goss at IGS American, just off the A3 when you get to Surbiton. He's on 020 8391 9090.
IGS American Ltd

PS If you've bought a UK spec/Ian Allan supplied car that still has the nasty big oblong number plate/holder on it, I have a new/unused Chevy accessory "Aero" # plate holder in the garage. I'm in Walton-on-Thames.

Attachments

• Ian Goss 3.jpg
    Ian Goss 3.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Roscobbc

A C7 (and especially a GS I'd guess) is such a good driving car (and extremely rare in UK) I'd consider very carefully the thought of irreversably changing anything like camhaft. With a C7, especially a GS being so thin on the ground there's a significant risk it would limit any future market if you wished to sell in the future.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I bought the Uk 5k mike car from collecting cars last week
Aaah, the Admiral Blue manual one with the Z07 pack and full PPF. Thats a "fab" and probably unique UK spec C7 GS. Got all the options on it. Great price! Congrats!
2017 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) Z07 Grand Sport - 5,085 Miles for sale by auction in Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom

I agree with Ross above. If it was mine, I wouldn't be doing camshafts. Exhausts and quick shifter OK. Might be thinking also aftermarket/improved induction kit/filter and fitting a "catch can? First thing I would do is fit "PowerStop" ceramic brake pads. Gives you virtually zero brake dust on the wheels compared to the OE/factory pads. But thinking about it, maybe you have those already, as you have ceramic brakes with the Z07 pack?

Last edited:

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Aaah, the Admiral Blue manual one with the Z07 pack and full PPF. Thats a "fab" and probably unique UK spec C7 GS. Got all the options on it. Great price! Congrats!
2017 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) Z07 Grand Sport - 5,085 Miles for sale by auction in Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom

I agree with Ross above. If it was mine, I wouldn't be doing camshafts. Exhausts and quick shifter OK. Might be thinking also aftermarket/improved induction kit/filter and fitting a "catch can? First thing I would do is fit "PowerStop" ceramic brake pads. Gives you virtually zero brake dust on the wheels compared to the OE/factory pads. But thinking about it, maybe you have those already, as you have ceramic brakes with the Z07 pack?
Wow that's a great spec, love the look of that!

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Ah, See from the ad above, that it already has the cold air induction kit! 466bhp was enough for me when I had my C7 Stingray. No doubt Keith (Beschi) can recommend a remap if you want more power from that? Now UK spec auto C7s dont go into petrol saving V4 mode at any time, unlike US spec cars. UK spec manual Camaros do, so owners have bought "Range Technologies" ODB port plug ins to stop that happening. Cant remember if UK spec C7 manuals go into V4 mode, but if they do, might need a "Range" plug in?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I would suggest reconsidering using that 3rd party POC Vararam so-called "True Cold Air" and ditch it
Always has been very high-priced but cheap quality causing more hot engine bay air temps being pulled into the engine, degrading performance, Uses cheap plastic that warps over short time

Notice the ill fit right above the word Vararam to pull the hot air in and sucking dirt into the intake manifold to cylinders
Look where I put the red arrows, simply crappy designed even see the filter exposed and worse than the OEM one
No way, a true cold air box. And wonder if water from washing or rain if leaking down between the edge of the hood would roll down and leak into the filter ?
In fact, looks like some water stains by filter ?

All this does is replace the better built stock airbox for a high profit and will warp worse and no colder air flow than stock setup
I have tested many Corvettes with this vendor's so-called CAI and air temps into engine is hotter than stock

varacrap.jpg

Last edited:

David123

Regular user
Thanks for all your advice … have almost taken myself out of a cam as the engine is almost too sweet to mess with .. the airbox is a piece of crap but have original_ has anyone tried an mgw short shifter kit .. my only reservation is often these kits just make the shift stiffer … so going to start with an x pipe | secondary cat delete .. has anyone tried this ?

David123

Regular user
Great car! Ian Goss at IGS American, just off the A3 when you get to Surbiton. He's on 020 8391 9090.
IGS American Ltd

PS If you've bought a UK spec/Ian Allan supplied car that still has the nasty big oblong number plate/holder on it, I have a new/unused Chevy accessory "Aero" # plate holder in the garage. I'm in Walton-on-Thames.
My car has gone back on LJ67DGX .. so must have been registered with yours … I have the reg holders thanks

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Keep in mind the shifter connects to a single rod back to the manual tranny, so there are no real gains like pre C5s got with a short shifter
consider you have to take the center console apart to do a swap and if all goes back and fits like it did when GM installed the console

As to an X-pipe, it depends on if you're doing so for sound changes or for a performance gain
I did a very lengthy design and long term testing of size, shape, sound in Dba, and best location using my C5 you can read up on
via my website at :

The X-pipe was swapped in this case in place of the CATs

eh5.jpg

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
has anyone tried an mgw short shifter kit .
Someone on here has in the past, but can't find the thread. Remember him saying that it improved things and there was a factory recall for manuals which didn't improve things much. I cant remember if its the 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 shift that can be "sticky" That recall was maybe on earlier C7s? Ian Allan can tell you that, as well as doing a printout of the cars details, including all the RPO build/option codes on the car.

Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
My car has gone back on LJ67DGX .. so must have been registered with yours … I have the reg holders thanks
Yes, September 2017. The reg holder you have on the front is the US spec one. Looks nice enough! Your car was for sale with "Millenium" in April 2020 and in a "Historics" auction at Brooklands too.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Keep in mind the shifter connects to a single rod back to the manual tranny, so there are no real gains like pre C5s got with a short shifter
consider you have to take the center console apart to do a swap and if all goes back and fits like it did when GM installed the console
Aah! Just read that. Guess I'd be looking on YouTube too, to see what thay say on there? LargeLunchBox on here had a Ian Allan/UK manual GS. Maybe he might "chirp in"?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
As you see from my 1999 C5
I replaced the stock shifter with a Kirban like 23 years ago that the shifter has a ball at the end of the shaft that rides in the end of the shifter rod

Kirbanswap2.jpg

The Kirban is about hand made by a little race shop in the hills of like Kentucky

Kirban5.jpg

kirban.jpg
Kirban handle is a bit shorter, thus the throw is bit shorter

shifterswap5.jpg

David123

Regular user
Air filter now removed and replaced with stock one … who ever installed that piece of crap should be shot .. everything was loose and hardly a cool air filter as must have been sucking in hot air from the engine bay

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I thought I spotted it at Historics but I don’t think it sold ..?
Yes, you are right it didn't sell for whatever reason? Maybe the Reserve was too high? Looked a bit out of place with all those classic cars at the time. 3 or 4 years ago? And for sale quite recently (?) at this dealer in Yorkshire for £69,950

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The only thing VaraRAM does it RAMs it up guys asses when shelling out $400 plus for their junk that is not even designed tested

We find it hard to understand why people continue to believe the marketing hypes of vendors who claim to have a ton of customers have to spend their time soaking the forums selling car owners hype and people buying it.

We have seen countless times when doing custom tunes that every time the car has this product of an ill performing powertrain.

Anyone believing the RAM effect at the nose of the front end needs to look at the C/D, fuel mileage and drag to know no air would be RAMMING into designs such as the Vararam and in fact if you look at its design limits airflow

Worse is cheap design slanted for high profit margins and their claims of performance overhyped.

In this example we look at two Corvettes, one has more overall mods and outputs more HP and Torque yet the captured engine data from feedback sensors such as the MAF prove this product is not what you want to spend your hard-earned money on.

If you look at the results related to airflow between the car with the Vararam and then the other with the Blackwing and our Icebox CAI you see even though the car outputting more performance ( as a CAM where the other does not) is getting less air to the cylinders.

Both C5s are in the same weather, city and elevation

Measured airmass through the MAF

Vararam C5 ------------------------ Blackwing/Icebox

37 lbs/min Max ------------------- 41 lbs/min Max
0.770 grams/cylinder ------------ 0.970 grams/cyl
492 CFM air volume ------------- 590 CFM

The Vararam C5 ran average intake air temps 10–15 degrees hotter than what the weather was, where the Blackwing/Icebox C5 had average temps that equaled the weathers temp

In this case, the Vararam C5 I had custom tuned 1 month ago.
We told the owner what we saw in the OBD collected scanner data as to the performance costs using this product.

Owner contacts us 1 month later that rich DTC error codes suddenly after 1 month tripped.

We had the owner do a testrun with an Ease OBD scanner in record mode and email us the recording to analyze. From that data, we concluded that the Vararam caused the engine to go -14 % too rich.
Owner checks out the Vararam to find what we see is common due to bad design and cheap makeup of their product in that corners of the top and bottom cases do not seal causing the air to divert.

As seen with the lower image below to make this car function correctly we had to tune fuel flow in a odd way in that airflow was poor in some engine loads needing less or more fuel throughout the engine load and RPM range.

vararamcmp2.jpg

Image shows the Blackwing/Icebox C5 and how linear the commanded fuel flow is where the Vararam required odd tuning to correct airflow issues but in no way can solve the poor design that causes the cheap airfilters used to break up or the CAI to be ill fitted and cause unmetered airflow that confuses the PCM and how it adapts to this plus the fact hot dirty air from engine bay gets sucked into the leaks.

David123

Regular user
Yes, you are right it didn't sell for whatever reason? Maybe the Reserve was too high? Looked a bit out of place with all those classic cars at the time. 3 or 4 years ago? And for sale quite recently (?) at this dealer in Yorkshire for £69,950
That’s where the guy I bought it from got it … he paid near that