Replacing passenger window - how difficult?

Jimkounter

CCCUK Member
Quote a while ago I unfortunately had to smash my passenger window in order to gain access to the car after the door automatically locked me out with the keys in the ignition and it running on a fast idle.

I've struggled to find anyone local who has the skills and experience to fit the replacement which recently arrived from Claremont Corvette (thanks for the quick shipping!)

So it looks like I'm going to have to do it myself. I have a Haynes and the factory manual for my '81 model but all of them assume I'm replacing an intact window that's in the fully up position, not one where it's on pieces inside the door....

How hard is this for an amateur who's never done this before? What are my chances of success or should I leave it to a classic car repairer who will have no experience of C3s?

I'm in Wiltshire near Swindon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Have you tried any bodyshop / accident repair companies near you? They must be used to replacing broken glass as part of their work.

But fail that, you could have a go at replacing it yourself. I've not done it, so don't know how hard it is. There might be Youtube videos out there to help you too.

Jimkounter

CCCUK Member
Thanks antijam. At 1.26 CorvetteBen states that the window has to be able to go up and down to remove it. My issue is that the window is no longer present and in fact bits of it are rattling around the inside of the door.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Thanks antijam. At 1.26 CorvetteBen states that the window has to be able to go up and down to remove it. My issue is that the window is no longer present and in fact bits of it are rattling around the inside of the door.
I think it's only necessary for the window lift mechanism (manual or electric|) to go up and down, not necessarily the glass itself if it's broken. Once you remove the interior door card and any access panels you should be able to extract the broken glass pieces - obviously be careful not to get cut on any remaining pieces.
This pic shows the door with the interior metal panelling cut away to reveal the glass and actuating mechanism. This might help you visualise what has to be tackled - although with more limited access.
door.jpg

Emc

Supporting vendor
It's not a hard job at all, just a list to follow, feel free to call me I can talk you through it