Reversing camera ideas

Route66

CCCUK Member
Hi Folks,
i have just indulged myself and got a C6. 👍Great car but at this moment not enjoying the reversing experience. I would like to fit a reversing camera and if possible to connect it to the console screen. I would appreciate some guidance and suggestions on the best setup for this car please.
Many thanks.
Brian

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
FYI
That URL above is for the camera itself, you still need a video monitor that would expect camera to work with it
Normally the rear camera has one wire and that needs to be connected to the 12 volt wire of a reverse backup tail light bulb

If wanting this to be a rear live camera all the time, then do not cut the camera wire that would connect to that bulb
with it connected, that camera is not active until that bulb is commanded on when reverse is being used

The rest of video camera wiring then has to be run to cabin area to connect to the monitor, meaning you have to find a way to pass the cable though hatch area and the cabin where mounting the video monitor
There are wireless ones, but the monitor selected must also allow wireless connection

Also, before screwing down the camera, first look via monitor that the camera is not showing video upside down
and showing left view on right side of monitor (flipped left/right) and if so the monitor has a setting to flip that left/right

Last edited:

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Did you wire it so it only comes on in reverse? If so, what connections did you make? 👍
I bought this monitor & connected a camera to the front & another to the back. Wiring was easy as just plug & play apart from picking up a feed from the reversing lights. I switched the power to the monitor as no need to have it on all the time especially when the monitor is folded away. In normal operation you get the front view, when putting the car into reverse it changes to rear view automatically. Amazing value for money, & as I said earlier the quality of the visuals is excellent. The hardest part is feeding the wires through the car, although ample cable is provided.
One thing to note is that the camera provided in the above kit shoes the image in reverse & there's no way of changing it, hence I went for the other cameras as mentioned earlier which do allow the image to be corrected - happy days.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
I bought this monitor & connected a camera to the front & another to the back. Wiring was easy as just plug & play apart from picking up a feed from the reversing lights. I switched the power to the monitor as no need to have it on all the time especially when the monitor is folded away. In normal operation you get the front view, when putting the car into reverse it changes to rear view automatically. Amazing value for money, & as I said earlier the quality of the visuals is excellent. The hardest part is feeding the wires through the car, although ample cable is provided.
One thing to note is that the camera provided in the above kit shoes the image in reverse & there's no way of changing it, hence I went for the other cameras as mentioned earlier which do allow the image to be corrected - happy days.
Edited becasue I read the post wrong!

I've taken a punt on the £8.99, I already have a flip-out head unit with an Aux in I'm pretty sure I can hook a camera up to. Never felt the need for a reversing camera but at £9 I'm just curious what it's like now!

Last edited:

Route66

CCCUK Member
Thank you gentlemen for the suggestions. On Youtube there is an install of a wireless camera on a C6 with a slotted bar type attachment to the top 2 number plate screw holes. It comes with a monitor that he has mounted on a cylinder that fits nicely into the console drinks pocket and is powered via the cigarette lighter socket. Not sure if one can link up a front camera too. As i am new to the C6, does the nav screen have any aux input capability?
Brian

mach2andy

CCCUK Member
Hi Brian. I wrote an article which was published in February's club magazine about replacing the head unit & fitting a reversing camera to an 08 C6 which may give you some ideas. If your car has any of the original head unit options still fitted, you won't be able to display the reverse camera image on these units. So unless you're happy with a stand alone monitor, you'll need to start by replacing the head unit which is not a major undertaking. Some stand alone units may connect wirelessly with the camera [this is just a guess] but the monitor will require a power supply which will involve a cable trailing across the dash. Modern head units are light years ahead of the stock units, and fitting one is well worth the effort particularly if you pick one with Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I would be inclined to avoid the cheaper Chinese units and stick with mainstream brands such as Kenwood, Pioneer & Sony. If you want to talk to me directly about my experience, send me a PM.
Andy

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
The Vette News article Andy is referring to is in the online archive of this website, downloadable HERE
You're welcome 😁

Route66

CCCUK Member
Hi Andy and Chris, thanks everyone for your input much appreciated. I have read the article in my Feb mag, and is certainly a must have in the near future , but is a fairly costly upgrade for me right now. Got to save my pennies and get my wheel rims refurbished as a priority. The wifi camera setup is inexpensive and the easiest so will give it a try. :cool:(y)
Brian

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Just a little update on my £8.99 purchase, wired it up to the reverse light and plugged it into the AV feed on my head unit and it works! Didn't mount it permanently as I'd run out of time to run the cable properly and I needed to work out how to get the wire inside the trunk (I'm thinking the vent on the drivers side?) but it actually works. The power/ground wire is very small gauge so I might swap this out, also (and this is just my head unit issue) I can't quite work out how to set it up as a reverse camera but it works just fine on the AV channel of the unit. It's an old HU with no instructions and a million connections in the back.

But if anyone is thinking of getting one, for £9 I really can't see an issue.