Slotted vent panel between hood and wiper door question.

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Hi all, anyone with a pre 73 , if you look at the slots on the hood vent panel, 4 of them have 2 fixing screws in them to secure the panel. Was there a cover strip from the factory to hide the screws.
They just look like something is missing. TiA ๐Ÿ‘

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I wondered that too, as the screws being on display just seems at odds with the rest of the smooth "hidden" design of the rest of the car.

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Donโ€™t think so. Why do they look odd, you canโ€™t really see them?
They need a rubber tube or something the right size that will fill the slot neatly and look finished. I am on it, it is the small things that pull it all together ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘

Roscobbc

IMG_20240724_155254.jpgIMG_20240724_155254.jpgThese on mine are wrong - correct screw is black and has what Zip call a Phillibuster head...... presumably what we would call a Pan head?. Oddly the rear deck vent fixing screws are also black but Zip offer them also in chrome.
I would have suggested the use of mirror or furniture two piece screw caps to tiny things up a little but can't see their being enough room in slot for these.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Mine were painted with the car but still look rubbish, I have a plan and will post before and after images ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘
Like Ross said , paint them body colour or you could try the plastic cup washers with the hinged cap like used to fix registration plate if they fit through the slots . You could then paint them body colour .

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
View attachment 27190View attachment 27190These on mine are wrong - correct screw is black and has what Zip call a Phillibuster head...... presumably what we would call a Pan head?. Oddly the rear deck vent fixing screws are also black but Zip offer them also in chrome.
I would have suggested the use of mirror or furniture two piece screw caps to tiny things up a little but can't see their being enough room in slot for these.
A quick fix til I find the correct rubber window seal I used on my beach buggy build . May upset the ncrs crew ๐ŸซฃIMG_8631.jpegIMG_8640.jpeg

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Hmmm....is that really an improvement? When painted body colour the exposed screw heads are practically invisible unless you actively look for them.
Your solution looks as is you've got something black caught in the grille - which of course you have. :unsure:
Wow! Funny isnt it, to my eye that looks infinitely better , as I always thought something was missing . And mine were already painted blue but I still thought they looked wrong. They say each to their own. Thanks for everyoneโ€™s thought's and input. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Like Ross said , paint them body colour or you could try the plastic cup washers with the hinged cap like used to fix registration plate if they fit through the slots . You could then paint them body colour .
I dont think the mirror or number plate caps would fit and I think they would look even more out of place ๐Ÿ˜ตโ€๐Ÿ’ซ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ‘

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Wow! Funny isnt it, to my eye that looks infinitely better , as I always thought something was missing . And mine were already painted blue but I still thought they looked wrong. They say each to their own. Thanks for everyoneโ€™s thought's and input. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘
I think I'm with you on that - to me the screws just stand out a mile away, and make it look like a cover is missing / been stolen from that section.

antijam

CCCUK Member
I doubt GM/Chevrolet would worry about seeing a screw back in the 1970โ€™s probably even during the 80โ€™s.
Too true. Certainly early C3 'Vettes bristle with unconcealed fasteners to a level we wouldn't tolerate in a modern car. Fastener heads are visible in the instrument panels, the centre console, the handbrake console, the door cill plates, the rear quarter trim panels and retainers, and the windshield header moulding, to name but a few. The one that strikes me as particularly clumsy, although not readily striking, is the rear door panel fixing to the door....

P1390114.JPG

It doesn't even work very well. (n)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think all car manufacturers in those days didnโ€™t worry about visible fasteners. They could be seen everywhere. Rear lights, front light surrounds etc. Joe Public just accepted them as part of the package.
God forbid seeing one now, it would probably pull the plug on the sale.
Now itโ€™s a work of art trying to remove something without breaking it because of concealed fixings.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Too true. Certainly early C3 'Vettes bristle with unconcealed fasteners to a level we wouldn't tolerate in a modern car. Fastener heads are visible in the instrument panels, the centre console, the handbrake console, the door cill plates, the rear quarter trim panels and retainers, and the windshield header moulding, to name but a few. The one that strikes me as particularly clumsy, although not readily striking, is the rear door panel fixing to the door....

View attachment 27213

It doesn't even work very well. (n)
1980 C3`s aren`t any better either but at least you can take things apart like Nassau said without breaking anything or needing a degree in Origami to work out how things fit !
The upside of exposed screws is if Mad4 makes sure all the slot heads and cross heads line up he will still be in with a chance of winning concours delegance ! :ROFLMAO: