Start to get engine parts for rebuild ?

Waynio

CCCUK Member
As i am being held back on the engine removal for a couple weeks i mite aswell get the parts together for it.
At the minute i am not sure on whats in there. So mite aswell start from scratch. Its a 5.7 GM Goodwrench crate engine. If i could work out wat the cam is in it etc i would as that would help out but i have been unable to get any help on how to get the specs of the cam.

It has a Quadrajet carb so a good start i believe being a 4 Barrel. Next is a Cam. i be;ieve a Comp 252 Cam. Now which one as i see theer are a good amount of 252 cams to choose from.

And the Inlet Manifold is standard i think along with the heads.

It will be used on the road, maybe the odd track day so i ahve been told a 252 cam is the way to go. Any suggest on what to go for without blowing thousands on it for now.

BTW it was meant to have around 300bhp, i was planning on refitting the heads as that is all that was removed for an upgrade by previous owner. I went to replace the ehads and one head bolt has stripped the block so it has to come out now anyway. And while its out ill upgrade it now.

Waynio :)

MilkyNoSugar

CCCUK Member
Hi Waynio, I am by no means an expert but have recently started a similar process on my big block engine following a cam failure and have learnt a lot in the last few weeks.

There is a wealth of advice on the forum, and I suggest you take a look at my Engine Issue thread as it might fast-track you a little bit.

Cam choice is a bit of a minefield with loads to choose from. If you are using it for fast road use, stick with one of the milder cams to give you a wide power band and good idle. Be careful not to get too carried away trying to upgrade while you have things in bits as that can get expensive and you may end up needing new headers, changing pistons etc to gain compression, changing final drive gears and upgrading the auto box (if you have auto) . Look to replace as much as you can with new bits, but unless you plan on upgrading loads of other stuff, I would advise that you keep things relatively standard/mild.

Comp Cams has a UK distributor, Performance Unlimited, who I contacted. They liaised with Comp Cams directly to advise on the most appropriate cam and rocker set. Their advice for my requirements was to go for an Xtreme Marine cam. Odd I know, but it does seem to have characteristics in the lift, duration and lobe separation that many people suggested I should be aiming for and from reading loads of information.
AD_4nXd5JrOAAhyrOn0qrZ68IUqFe8OTgMrvKSC83HFMRRq_1zoQ1-Dpmmi_Jsj-Ut5HU6-MRD5-U3BRpS2qX2CjzzhRiwkTgYVZ9uZspHBn8Q_oNqz8Vof63l1mgbLRxCjNiAhuyaNtbprKfHB92UyQYEQncdJ2

I did end up ordering a complete kit K11-236-4 with RPM1411-6 to include timing gear, rocker arms, valve spring, push rods etc so that I refresh as much of the top end as possible, but stuck with the standard heads. I will be removing the heads to lap in the valves and fit new seals and springs.

They have a full parts catalogue online https://www.performanceunlimited.co.uk/brands/comp-cams/ which I found quite useful.

I ordered new gaskets, head bolts, water pump and other bits I will need from Rock Autos.

If you are getting new heads then quite a few of them come as complete top end packages from various suppliers. I did consider this, but the 454 appears to suffer with air cleaner clearance issues so stuck with my heads, LS6 intake and carb as I know they fit and it keeps my costs down. My car is relatively standard throughout and is a matching numbers car, so I did want to keep it looking relatively normal and standard.

Recent knee surgery has slowed me down and I am waiting for the last few bits to arrive before I start work on this.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
@MilkyNoSugar
Thanks for the reply kida. My god it is a mine field with all the choices isnt it. I keep going bac after looking into it more to just put the engine back together for now and see how it goes, run it a while then get parts together for next year and rebiuild the engine.

It is jsut that as the engine is coming out to be Helicoiled i thought to upgrade the engine now as i am sure now its not what it was thought to be a 300bhp crate engine. Its got standard heads and inlet and a Quad carb.

I have been suggested something like this kit to start with. Then later get a inlet manifold, heads maybe. if i can find a full top end kit that would be easier i think, depending on cost.

Well they recommended I274/276 or thereabouts. with .55 lift. HRT being better.

It is a 4 speed manual aswell, so i believe these are easier to cams for for the better tickover.

MilkyNoSugar

CCCUK Member
I think and I emphasise the think, you will need shorter rods to go with the roller lifters. if you are changing the rods you may also need to change the rocker arms.

Also check to see if you need different length or strength valve springs to go with the cam profile.

Exciting times ahead for both of us.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
I think and I emphasise the think, you will need shorter rods to go with the roller lifters. if you are changing the rods you may also need to change the rocker arms.

Also check to see if you need different length or strength valve springs to go with the cam profile.

Exciting times ahead for both of us.
just looking at complete kits now to make it easier. Summit Racing has a lot in but the kits i find are as all out of stock that i `think ` are suitable.

I am that keen to get it on the road i can see me just putting it back in as is lol

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Ok after a more I.depth read this is a good o e to go for street /strip.i reckon git this to the blaock with standard heads and inlet manifold with the headers to get it running then go from.there.

Complete kit