Tyre dates

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Hi sll , I have a set of khumo radials on the 72, the resto was done in 2011 so I was looking for the build dates in case they sre getting a bit too old , altho they look like new , no tiny cracks showing between the tread blocks but if they were fitted on completion that makes them 13 years old. The only numbers I found that could be the date were YP , (year of production) ? 6V. Any thoughts? TiA👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
In the USA there is a federal law because of Ford, and they're using jap Bridgestone tires that caused tire blowing and Explorers then rolling over
and killing people and required tires being no older than 6 years old and that tire repair shops cannot work on them if older than that

That also forced nameplates to install tire pressure sensors

Finding Your Tire's DOT Number​

Examine all sides of your tires. You will notice a series of numbers and letters that might initially seem confusing.
However, this information is vital. Look for a number starting with "DOT" followed by a series of 10 to 12 characters.
This code contains information about the tire size, the manufacturing year, and the place of manufacture, as well as a unique manufacturer code.

Tires Manufactured After 2000​

For tires manufactured in the year 2000 or later, the last four digits of the DOT code indicate the date of manufacture. The first two digits represent the week, and the last two digits represent the year. For example, if the DOT code ends in "0203," the tire was manufactured in the 2nd week of 2003.

Tires Manufactured Before 2000​

For tires made before 2000, the date is represented by the last three digits of the DOT code. The first two digits represent the week of manufacture, and the last digit indicates the year within the decade. For example, if the code reads "229," the tire was manufactured in the 22nd week of a year ending in '9' of that decade, such as 1999.
Unfortunately, there’s no way to tell which decade you’re looking at, other than it’s before the year 2000.

If needing more info

dot-codes-6.jpg

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
In the USA there is a federal law because of Ford, and they're using jap Bridgestone tires that caused tire blowing and Explorers then rolling over
and killing people and required tires being no older than 6 years old and that tire repair shops cannot work on them if older than that

That also forced nameplates to install tire pressure sensors

Finding Your Tire's DOT Number​

Examine all sides of your tires. You will notice a series of numbers and letters that might initially seem confusing.
However, this information is vital. Look for a number starting with "DOT" followed by a series of 10 to 12 characters.
This code contains information about the tire size, the manufacturing year, and the place of manufacture, as well as a unique manufacturer code.

Tires Manufactured After 2000​

For tires manufactured in the year 2000 or later, the last four digits of the DOT code indicate the date of manufacture. The first two digits represent the week, and the last two digits represent the year. For example, if the DOT code ends in "0203," the tire was manufactured in the 2nd week of 2003.

Tires Manufactured Before 2000​

For tires made before 2000, the date is represented by the last three digits of the DOT code. The first two digits represent the week of manufacture, and the last digit indicates the year within the decade. For example, if the code reads "229," the tire was manufactured in the 22nd week of a year ending in '9' of that decade, such as 1999.
Unfortunately, there’s no way to tell which decade you’re looking at, other than it’s before the year 2000.

If needing more info

View attachment 27753
Thanks team, looks like last week of 2011 which is aprox completion of body off . So 12 yo tyres ! A shame as they look as new with just under 5k on them.
What are peoples thoughts. To renew for Peace of mind , And a chance to go with/ without white letter or red stripe🤔 and pos a bit wider ? (if no rubbing) . Any thoughts, advice , suggestions or opinions very welcome. At present, 225x70 x 15 with plain black sidewalls. Pics of widths and lettering on c3’s appreciated too along with suggestions and feedback for best suppliers. Witt look at northants website later. Thank you all 👍

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
There is no legal age limit on car tyres but commercial vehicles can't use tyres over 10 years old on the steering axle.
Tyres detoriate with age, more so if not used regularly, because they have anti oxidising chemicals in them that are only released when in motion so classic cars and cars that get little use the tyres detoriate quicker.
Tyres compounds get brittle and hard with age so don't grip like new ones, for this reason caravan tyres are recommended to be renewed between 5 and 7 years old maximum.
I just had two new tyres fitted to my daughter's car yesterday because I noticed they were 10 years old when I serviced it last week.
IMG_20240831_094018.jpg

Roscobbc

Thanks team, looks like last week of 2011 which is aprox completion of body off . So 12 yo tyres ! A shame as they look as new with just under 5k on them.
What are peoples thoughts. To renew for Peace of mind , And a chance to go with/ without white letter or red stripe🤔 and pos a bit wider ? (if no rubbing) . Any thoughts, advice , suggestions or opinions very welcome. At present, 225x70 x 15 with plain black sidewalls. Pics of widths and lettering on c3’s appreciated too along with suggestions and feedback for best suppliers. Witt look at northants website later. Thank you all 👍
Red and Gold strip 'period' looking tyres are extremely expensive. Yes, theoretically your tyres are recommended to be changes by now.........but if the car has been garaged when not in use there should be minimal affects from radiation - guess you need to check for any cracking.....and has the level of tyre grip gone 'off'? - I recall an old set of BFG's on my Vette never seemed to wear down but would squeal embarrasingly when cornering on tarmac surfaces.

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Red and Gold strip 'period' looking tyres are extremely expensive. Yes, theoretically your tyres are recommended to be changes by now.........but if the car has been garaged when not in use there should be minimal affects from radiation - guess you need to check for any cracking.....and has the level of tyre grip gone 'off'? - I recall an old set of BFG's on my Vette never seeming to age harden, never wear down and squeal embarrasingly when cornering on tarmac surfaces.
Were they the old bias belted construction , they were really squealy without trying.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Renew , renew , renew , unless you like playing Russian Roulette with your life / safety . It`s galling I know to bin tyres with thousands of miles left on the tread but at 12 years old they will be as hard as a tin drum and could blow out at any moment . Trust me , I`ve been there and bought the T shirt .

johng

CCCUK Member
I've got 255x60 R15s, which do get very close to the wheelarch on full lock. They fill out the width of the wheelarch though.
IMG_20240223_134942.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
When I imported my Vette from the states in 2016 it had very nice looking BFGs with good thread on them etc. The car drove horribly and I made changes here and there to suspension and bushes etc. Ultimately it was the tyres that had gone off. I ummed and errrred about having white letter tyres again, but decided I can live without which meant I could also go for a larger diameter alloy wheel (I know its criminal, but I didn't really like my standard wheels) and some more modern rubber in more easily available tyre sizes. As soon as they were changed over it was night and day - the car drove so much better. That was about 6 or so years ago now and I hardly do any mileage, so the tyres still look brand new. Shame to have to waste them when they are older.

Similar thing happened with my FTO - tyres were passing MOTs and looking good etc, BUT down our tiny country roads when you suddenly had to brake for an oncoming vehicle, the car would lock up and slide (no ABS). New front tyres put on and it all stopped as the fronts were now getting the grip they needed. Those tyres were only 10 years old at the time. I replaced the rear tyres the year after those, when they turned 10 years old.

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
When I imported my Vette from the states in 2016 it had very nice looking BFGs with good thread on them etc. The car drove horribly and I made changes here and there to suspension and bushes etc. Ultimately it was the tyres that had gone off. I ummed and errrred about having white letter tyres again, but decided I can live without which meant I could also go for a larger diameter alloy wheel (I know its criminal, but I didn't really like my standard wheels) and some more modern rubber in more easily available tyre sizes. As soon as they were changed over it was night and day - the car drove so much better. That was about 6 or so years ago now and I hardly do any mileage, so the tyres still look brand new. Shame to have to waste them when they are older.

Similar thing happened with my FTO - tyres were passing MOTs and looking good etc, BUT down our tiny country roads when you suddenly had to brake for an oncoming vehicle, the car would lock up and slide (no ABS). New front tyres put on and it all stopped as the fronts were now getting the grip they needed. Those tyres were only 10 years old at the time. I replaced the rear tyres the year after those, when they turned 10 years old.
Looks like i will be researching tyres, the khumo’s that are on there look as new but they were only a 100 pounds each so not a premium tyre. 👍

Roscobbc

I would imagine that a fair number of what were once 'budget' priced tyres (so Kumho, Hancook, Nankang, etc) are filling the places that once Toyo, Bridgestone and Yokohama once held. One only has to look at how some of the presumed 'budget' brands (Kumho, Hancook & Nankang) have become dominent in the race and track day tyre market.......they must be doing something right?.
Gonna guess that other brands will ultimately undercut their prices too - the Malasian Accelera range of tyres seem unbelievably cheap for a modern large diameter, low profile 'Y' and 'Z' speed rated wide tyre. Interesting that they seem to be used by the 'drift' boys. Is that and the cheap price indicative of how good (or otherwise that perform)?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Looks like i will be researching tyres, the khumo’s that are on there look as new but they were only a 100 pounds each so not a premium tyre. 👍
I think mine has Toyo Proxies (17 inch) on it which seem to be ok and keeps the Vette on the road. I don't drive it that hard, but when I do have a bit of fun on the B roads then the tyres seem to have no problems. Granted they are only middle range tyres, but its good enough for me to put on there and do my usual stuff, and then replace around 10 years ago when the tyres are barely broken in :ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

I think the analogy of 'premium' tyres has moved from 'premium' (as in 'premium' brand, 'premium' grip, 'premium' lifespan) has moved over to just 'premium brand and associated price. Toyo as you mention 'was' a 'middle range' tyre........I would say now its now up there with the top brands (except perhaps Michelin) in terms of performance (but not price?) - but haven't Michelin (as perhaps the very top premium brand, quality, grip longevity etc) gone through some confusing tyre specifications over the last few years......and even they seem to have wide variations of tyre prices for what seem to be very similar tyres.........seems to me they are trying to 'cover' both 'ultra high-end' and mid-range markets.
Look at this for a really cheap modern low profile tyre......can it be that bad?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 16-25-15 Buy Accelera PHI Online Prices and Reviews Tire Streets - 25...png
    Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 16-25-15 Buy Accelera PHI Online Prices and Reviews Tire Streets - 25...png
    129.8 KB · Views: 8