Wipers clanky

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
IMG_8806.jpegIMG_8805.jpegHi All , took the 72 to a nice local show in cornwall , a nice selection of british and american cars and bikes. Only downside it drizzeled on us , hardly enough to wet the roads but needed to clear the screen. The wipers are rarely needed as dry road queen unless I get caught out on the road.,I was happy that they seemed to all working but then after 3/4 wipes they started clanking as if they were hitting something, not horrendous but definately clankier than normal. Switched them off as rain passed. Any ideas what or where to start checking, ? TiA πŸ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
View attachment 27618View attachment 27619Hi All , took the 72 to a nice local show in cornwall , a nice selection of british and american cars and bikes. Only downside it drizzeled on us , hardly enough to wet the roads but needed to clear the screen. The wipers are rarely needed as dry road queen unless I get caught out on the road.,I was happy that they seemed to all working but then after 3/4 wipes they started clanking as if they were hitting something, not horrendous but definately clankier than normal. Switched them off as rain passed. Any ideas what or where to start checking, ? TiA πŸ‘
Look at the rods that drive the wiper arms from the motor . They are adjustable via screws in elongated slots . Also if anything like my 1980 they have little ball joints held by small clamps that may be warn / need adjusting / need greasing .

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Look at the rods that drive the wiper arms from the motor . They are adjustable via screws in elongated slots . Also if anything like my 1980 they have little ball joints held by small clamps that may be warn / need adjusting / need greasing .
Thanks chuffer, , i did a bit of a general grease up on parts of the mechanism a while back, I will run them and look what is touching what, I was inside the car so couldnt see. πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
the knob between the wiper door and headlamp over ride switches under the steering column? Do the wipers stop wherever they are at the moment I switch it? Or do they stop in a pre set position ?
πŸ€”πŸ‘

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I must confess I can't remember. I just remember it was a PITA replacing the wiper blades on mine as the wipers wouldn't pull away from the window far enough to change them nicely (either the wiper blade or wiper arm was limited in movement by the screen or wiper door. I forget now).

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The arms themselves are adjustable as well as the drive mechanism. You really need to follow the factory procedure in the manual otherwise they will hit somewhere or not park.

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Thanks chuffer, , i did a bit of a general grease up on parts of the mechanism a while back, I will run them and look what is touching what, I was inside the car so couldnt see. πŸ‘
I am having a look at the clanky wipers, and can see that the drivers side one (on top) is hooking up on the lower passenger side one and making the the clicky clacky sound as it separates. Cant see the adjustment point yet , do I need to remove wiler door as well as the slotted vent panel ? TiA

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Searching shows correct length is 16.2 inches for C3s

Via GM parts

How long are yours that you're having a problem with ?
I fitted the new 16. β€œ blades today and lubes the wiper mechanism. The clank has gone and I think was just as they had hardly been switched on in 4 years. I will test them every time I wask the car now. Peter in the usa said to make sure I get low profile ones to fit under the wiper door. The one’s I have fitted are 1/2 inch or more higher and the door is closing down on top of the passenger side arm as the blade is holding it higher off the screen. Any suggestions as to a lower 16” blade ( with the same side pin fixing )
TiA πŸ‘

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The GM Part number URL I listed above,
look to see its shape and is for the C3 or

look at this one

or

Or

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
The GM Part number URL I listed above,
look to see its shape and is for the C3 or

look at this one

or

Or

Thanks for that info teamπŸ‘I will get another set ordered.

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Searching shows correct length is 16.2 inches for C3s

Via GM parts

How long are yours that you're having a problem with ?
Fitted a pair of new 16” blades today but noticed that altho the old blades were catching each other and clicking as they released, the bigger clanking is the gearbox with the revolving arm that drives the linkage. When i switch on the wipers the gearbox makes a noise for a few revolutions then is quiet again. Wipers all working and parking correctly and isolating knob under steering column working correctly too. Anyone else had this issue. ? TiA