Ride control

c4tree

CCCUK Member
When i turn the ride control dial from tour to sport or performance , i honestly cant feel the difference in the driving comfort. Is it so slight a difference i wouldnt notice it much, or how can i tell if it is actually working?

rubyragtop

Committee Member
I had the FX3 option on my old 1993 Ruby Anniversary and I could never tell the difference either. I have heard that the ride doesn't feel much different that the ride is similar in either setting. Many owners have swapped out the FX3 for coil overs. Not sure how easy or expensive it is to do this, but those that do it say it improves handling, not that I had a problem with mine

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
Under 30 miles an hour the switch makes very little difference in tour to sport mode, but the stiffness ramps up in sport after that. Perf mode should be noticeable even at lower speeds, it is on my 94. How old are your FX3’s.? Also worth checking the actuators are actually working. Front ones are easy to get at.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Go into diag mode and check out the FX3 system

Codes telling you :
code 12 - start of code sequence
code 13 - Left rear time out
code 14 - Right front time out
Code 21 - Left front time out
code 22 - Right rear time out
code 23 - Loss of vehicle speed signal (Code 23 will set if the ignition switch is cycled on and off 3 times without driving vehicle. the "service
ride control will turn off once the vehicle has been drivin if the system is ok,
but the code will remain as a history code and should be cleared to avoid future misdiagnosis.
code 31 - Left front out of position
code 32 - Right front out of position
code 33 - Left rear out of position
code 34 - Right rear out of position
code 41 - Selective ride control switch short to voltage
code 42 - Selective ride control switch open contacts (Code 42) will set if the selective ride control switch is not properly positioned in one of the three detente positions.

HOW to READ THE TROUBLE CODES:

Selective ride trouble codes may be read with the vehicle stopped by grounding terminal "C" of the assembly line diagnostic link (ALDL).
  1. Observe the "service ride control" indicator with the ignition switch in the "run" position.
  2. The trouble codes are comprised of two digits.
  3. A digit is read by counting the number of flashes that occur within a half second of each other.
The second digit will appear about one second after the first digit has gone. each code will repeat 3 times before the next code begins with a 3 second pause between codes.
The entire trouble code sequence will reappear as long as terminal "C" is grounded.
The trouble code display begins by showing code 12 three times, marking the beginning of the sequence.

If the diag mode cannot be entered (no codes appear, not even code 12) refer directly to chart #5: "trouble codes cannot be read"

When the diagnosis is complete and any necessary repairs have been made, the trouble codes must be cleared to prevent further misdiagnosis.

To clear the system, ground pin "C" of the ALDL connector for two seconds and repeat the procedure twice for a total of three groundings.

Check fuse for FX3 controller

Common issue is the small wire C-Clip that holds the FX3 motor to top of shock falls or breaks off and then motor is turning
but not latched to end of shock shaft