1968 Coupe for sale on ebay

Roscobbc

Both front and rear wheel arches have been 'radiused' - the rear ones significantly so......and look rather odd. When people use a 225/235 '60' series 15" tyre (rather than correct '70'/'75' series higher profile tyre) the wheel openings will look strange and kinda empty......perhaps at some point in the cars history someone has used some seriously tall 'meats' on the rear.
Inner rear lights are off later car. Unfortunately no engine shots. TBH considering all that has supposed to have been done to the car (and even allowing for restoration of 'proper' wheel openings a good buy I'd say. Having said all that - perhaps a good opportunity to (like Oneball has) to use some L88 flares and period style wheels and tyres?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Same letters in the reg plate as my 1968, and was also imported in 2016 same as mine. I'd say a good buy indeed for a manual 427 with that amount of work done, despite the other minor issues.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
An excellent buy if it’s as good in person as the pictures. The 427ci motor is a BIG plus in its factor. At £25k just get in and drive, any improvements can be made as you go along. You wouldn’t buy this stateside for $30k

Roscobbc

An excellent buy if it’s as good in person as the pictures. The 427ci motor is a BIG plus in its factor. At £25k just get in and drive, any improvements can be made as you go along. You wouldn’t buy this stateside for $30k
So many people regard the L36 390hp 427 only in performance terms.....correctly too. But there is another side to this engine......when set-up correctly with its OEM Rochester carb etc what a really sweet running engine it can be and a total pleasure to drive, especially with an M21 4 speed. The choice of 'running' the gears and 'cog-swapping through the close ratio's.....or if in a lazy mood the engines ability to pull cleanly in top gear from 8/900 rpm at sub 20 mph speeds even with a typical 3.08 rear end.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
A LOT of Corvette for the money with everything that's been done listed. Strange that there's no under-hood pics and the usual checks need to be done to the body mounts, bird cage, headlight support frame and radiator support frame. Looks like a BMW colour and I don't have my BB to see what silver was offered in '68. Hate the steering wheel

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Looking at the car, it’s hard to believe that it’s some 56 years old. In 1968 that was like buying a car from 1912. Probably not many people did that.
When you see what people are asking for stuff out there, it seems cheap.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Looking at the car, it’s hard to believe that it’s some 56 years old. In 1968 that was like buying a car from 1912. Probably not many people did that.
it is if there are no rust issues. I sold a base 200hp auto coupe 4 or 5 years back for £25k

Roscobbc

Fascinating when you think back on certain dates. And back then at the age of 18 in 1968 we all seemed to do so much in such a short space of time. The magic Hippy era which set the future standards for all pop and rock music almost passed by without anyone realising the significance. Much like the American performance/muscle era. TBH in 'the day' we all thought it was gone for ever. Back then a 10 year old car was most definitely and 'old banger', lucky to still be on the road and usually 'tonsed-up' with body and floor panels filled with newspaper, chicken wire and huge dollops of Isopon.
As apprentices we would be amazed at the condition of the guvnor's pre WW2 Aston Martin sports and how something as old as this (perhaps 35 years old) and his London to Brighton legible 'two lunger' Renault could be in such good condition and still exist.
And to top it off I still think a C3 looks modern.....and consider Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild, Canned Heat's On The Road Again as being definitive and ageless from a time when 'less' was really 'more'.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It certainly seemed more fun back in the day, but as they say, you’re looking back through rose tinted glasses.
Certainly once cars were 10 years old, sometimes sooner they were old bangers. Yanks too fell into that category, my 1969 GT500 was £650 in 1977, dad bought it for me before I passed my driving test to stop me getting a Kawasaki KH 250.
Those were the days.

Roscobbc

It certainly seemed more fun back in the day, but as they say, you’re looking back through rose tinted glasses.
Certainly once cars were 10 years old, sometimes sooner they were old bangers. Yanks too fell into that category, my 1969 GT500 was £650 in 1977, dad bought it for me before I passed my driving test to stop me getting a Kawasaki KH 250.
Those were the days.
Even 'iffy' or 'tatty' E types, Dino's and AM DB5/6's and DBS6's were on the cusp of affordability if you were happy to buy an untidy auto version that no one wanted.
Whereas Vettes, certainly C2's and earlier C3's were always expensive pro-rata!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Dad actually scrapped a Dino GTS flares and chairs. Gallio fly yellow. Daytona seats. Rotten as a pear. I jumped in it to move it and suddenly I was Fred Flintstone.
If only we knew.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
In 1977 my friend bought a 1969 or 1970 Aston DB6. White with black interior, webasto roof for £600. Boy did it like a drink. It was a bit light on brakes until we did them . Fond memories.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There was a John Wayne film where he came to London on a case ( can’t remember the name) about 1975. the “Baddie/Assassin drove a 60’s black e-type coupe that the filmmakers bought for £500

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Looks nice up in Newcastle? No CCCUK stickers on it? Is that an original colour?

IMHO
They ruined this C3 as the arches of the fender wells are not in proportion to the style/design of a C3

68wheelwell.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
As with all body modifications the person who had them done obviously liked them. The next owners choice to accept them or buy another. The cost involved putting it back to original would be expensive.
And let’s be fair C3 Corvettes saw Plenty of customisation over the years

Last edited: