A different train of thought .

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Very familiar. In the Netherlands, it's called a Hippel.
It`s amazing how many British diesel locos got sold of to European countries once surplus to requirement in the UK . The official classification for that shunter was Class O8 but we always referred to them as ` Jocko`s `.

JonnyC4

CCCUK Member
It is, also a lot of German trains are still in action here at the railroad museum. Even WW2 trains are still here and working great.

Attachments

• 438127778_7745501752197318_3214064144487119473_n.jpg
    438127778_7745501752197318_3214064144487119473_n.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 1

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
It is, also a lot of German trains are still in action here at the railroad museum. Even WW2 trains are still here and working great.
Those Hunslet designed and built 0-6-0 Saddle Tank locos were built an many hundreds and so many were needed during and just after WW2 many were outsourced to other manufacturers in the UK such as Bagnell , Hawthorns and Robert Stephenson & Company and Hudswell Clarke . They are the most numerous type of preserved locos in the UK with 68 surviving plus your one in the Nederlands . In the UK they were known as `Austerities` due to their simple rugged design that were quick and easy to build for the war effort and the recovery of the Britain after the war . Many went abroad during their War Department years . Many survived here in active service in the UK in collieries , quarries , steel works etc for many years which is why so many avoided the scrap man and are now preserved in working order . We have one on the Great Central Railway. I took this shot of it in the loco depot yard a couple of years ago . DSCF2613.JPG

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Continuing the War Department theme and the North British Locomotive Works in Glasgow , here is another locomotive with a very interesting history which I was fortunate to have a close personal relationship with for many years . It is Stanier Class 8F 2-8-0 heavy freight loco number 48773 which was one of 852 built and was the London Midland & Scottish Railways ( LMS) standard heavy freight loco design dating back to 1935 with many being built at the LMS main workshops in Crewe . As demand increased with the onset of WW2 , many were built at other factories including North British in Glasgow where 48773 was built in 1940 . It was sent brand new to join the Royal Engineers Regiment in Egypt during the war and managed to survive unscathed other than being derailed by a camel whilst crossing the desert !!
At the end of hostilities it stayed in Egypt and used by Egyptian State Railways . It was withdrawn from service as it needed a new firebox and was due to be cut up but amazingly the newly formed nationalised British Railways saw fit to buy it back in 1948 and send it the Crewe Works for a major overhaul and it survived with British Railways and became one of the last operational steam locos when BR axed all steam loco operations in August 1968 . I traveled behind it on a `Farewell To Steam ` special train in April 1968 and to a photo of it that at Bolton in Lancashire . I never imagined as a 16 year old lad that day saying " goodbye " to steam on British Railways that I would eventually become a fireman and the driver covering many hundreds of miles on it over the years as well as two major overhauls in it throughout . Unfortunately it is now on static display in the Severn Valley Railways ( SVR) Museum as its boiler is life expired and the there is little hope of it steaming again due to lack of funds which is very sad as it was purchased by the SVR in full working order straight from British Railways in 1968 .
Of many happy memories , two really stand out . One was as support crew on in it to take it ` double headed ` with another loco down to Penzance in Cornwall to haul a charter train as far as Taunton in Devon . After a two day lay over at the nearby West Somerset Railway where the fire was dropped , firebox cleaned out , full preparation and oiling up before getting a timetabled slot on the national rail network where I was fireman back to Kidderminster on the Severn Valley Railway . The second occasion was a few years later when as driver on it an old gentlemen stood admiring it from the station platform . He had tears in his eyes and told me as a young Royal Engineer soldier in WW2 he was fireman on 48773 in Egypt and never thought he would live to see the `old girl` again . I felt a bit choked myself and just had to invite him up on the footplate . It made his day and mine too ! 😢
Photo 1 - Bolton 1968
Photo 2 - 48773 in action
Phot0 3 - 48773 leading 45110 as we power away from Penzance in atrocious weather .48773 at Bolton.jpg48773.jpg48773 & 45110.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Today was more steady progress on rust removal from Sir Lamiel`s boiler barrel and getting the first of two coats of heat resistant paint on . This time it was the turn of the left hand side of the boiler and at least I had help from a mate for half the day rather than the left hand side done all on my own recently . We are getting there slowly !!
Another minor milestone has been the delivery of the four new piston valve liners from the foundary complete with new molds for future use . The first liner is already in the machine shop ready for machining the external diameters to interference fit size and then the bores machined and having the valve ports milled out . These along with the new piston liners and piston rings next on the list will improve the locos performance no end once the valve events are set properly .
Meanwhile there was plenty of activity and excitement going on in the loco yard as the famous LNER A1 Class Pacific replica `Tornado ` moved for the first time under its own power after a circa £1 million overhaul since its boiler certificate expired in 2019 . It was undergoing the statutory `steam test` to ensure that everything works as it should . Still to come will be testing of even more high tech electonic systems that have had to be fitted to comply with the latest European Train Communication Systems for when it operates on the national railway system . Would you believe it now has LCD screens in the cab and display screen equipment for the crew to monitor modern signalling systems . How all that high tech will cope with the heat and steam on the footplate I await to be convinced !! I thought the amount of technology built into the loco when brand new in 2009 when I first drove it was incredible but it has now reached mind boggling levels to complexity to meet with the ever increasing demands of the modern railway systems of today and the future . How much longer can steam loco operations survive other than on Heritage Railways I wonder ? :unsure:
An interesting photo shot presented itself when Tornado pulled up next to the nemesis of all of the original A1 Class Pacific`s , the A3`s like Flying Scotsman and the streamlined A4 Pacific`s on the crack express`s from London Kings Cross to York and Edinburgh . That nemesis was the 3,300bhp Deltic diesel electrics that would run at 100mph all day long if pressed . ( The yellow `flashes ` on Tornado`s boiler and driving wheels is not a camera fault but the reflection of the Deltic`s yellow front end in the sunlight on Tornado`s prestine paintwork ) .DSCF3527.JPGDSCF3528.JPGDSCF3521.JPGDSCF3526.JPGDSCF3530.JPG

rubyragtop

Committee Member
It will be a sad day if (when?) they stop steam on the main lines. To see a steam train at full speed is something to behold and can't be replicated on heritage lines.
If only they would increase the allowed speeds on heritage lines to allow these beasts a bit more free rein.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
It will be a sad day if (when?) they stop steam on the main lines. To see a steam train at full speed is something to behold and can't be replicated on heritage lines.
If only they would increase the allowed speeds on heritage lines to allow these beasts a bit more free rein.
Unfortunately that will never happen on Heritage Lines due to their very nature as all except the Great Central Railway are restored branch lines or sections of minor cross country lines . This means mostly single track with relatively tight curves over shortish distances not to mention being engineered to lighter construction standards . Most Heritage Railways have been maintained over the years to comply with Light Railway Order standards for purely 25mph speed limits . None of them could afford the massive investment to re engineer to high speed standards . 25 mph can feel quite brisk on a single track heritage railway with lineside vegetation and cutting sides flashing by but I totally agree that these beasts are awesome at full tilt on the main line as I know from personal experience on the footplate at 80 mph . In a car it feels like nothing at all but on a steam locos bucking and bouncing noisy footplate it`s borderline scary !! I hope it continues too but the investment costs required for loco owners and ever more OTT legislation is immense , not to mention the long term availability of decent coal already costing over £300 per ton .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
25 mph can feel quite brisk on a single track heritage railway with lineside vegetation and cutting sides flashing by
After having my stint on the WSR with Odney Manor steam loco, I can say just moving it around a siding whilst practicing and at maximum getting up to 10mph that it can feel quite fast indeed. The max 25mph down the line that I did later did seem quite involving and felt fast. So I can only imagine that 80+mph must be a lot of "fun". I guess you'd get used to it if you were doing it regularly, but still.....

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
After having my stint on the WSR with Odney Manor steam loco, I can say just moving it around a siding whilst practicing and at maximum getting up to 10mph that it can feel quite fast indeed. The max 25mph down the line that I did later did seem quite involving and felt fast. So I can only imagine that 80+mph must be a lot of "fun". I guess you'd get used to it if you were doing it regularly, but still.....
I did a lot of Steam Loco Driving Experience courses as an instructor and always told the participants that it would be the farstest 25 mph of their life . My party trick was to hang my Grease Top cap over the speedometer ( if one was fitted ) and ask them to guess our speed . They were usually miles out ! :LOL: