Another oil leak

Krusty

CCCUK Member
Not sure if you mean the upper oil pan when you state "sump"

starting with C5 LS1 the oil pan is 2 pieces
If the lower pan gasket is leaking, is simple, less than 1 hour labor

If it is, the upper pan mounted to the bottom of the engine block is a huge job

Yup, we call the bottom of the motor a 'sump' over here.
It does seem I have been that unlucky (as the thread title says). It is definitely the upper gasket that is leaking and not the easier one... it's never the easy one πŸ™ˆπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‚
It's a big'ish job I know, but at least it has been found. It is what it is and it will be sorted at the end of next month.
I just hope that it is simply a defective gasket and not a bad mating surface on either the motor or pan (or both πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ).
We'll soon see in a few weeks 🀞😬🀞

Krusty

CCCUK Member
Worth an update on this thread in the hopes to help others in the future (y)

I've had my car back for about a week and a half now but honestly, I've not had much time to drive it due to not being too well last week.
PartsUSA were great as ever with me! They redid the whole job again in the hopes of finding the issue once and for all... but sadly, nothing was obvious! It was a real head scratcher as to why it still leaked. Gaskets not damaged, mating surfaces in perfect condition, silicone where GM says to apply was perfect also.
All they could do is repeat the job again... 2 new sump gaskets, all fitted as GM recommends again.
Additionally, we noticed also that I had a small weep from the sump plug itself as the O ring had decided it'd had enough. They also changed the oil level sensor because that was showing signs of a leak too. But these small things are all located below the original and obvious leak coming from the upper pan gasket.

After they completed the work, we discussed on the phone about a possible blocked PCV that had maybe caused oil to be forced out of the weakest gaskets due to too much pressure inside the motor??? (which might of explained why my gaskets and seals have now ALL been replaced... we've just been chasing 20+ year old gaskets in turn failing one after other? MAYBE!!!).
I did tell PartsUSA that I'd fitted a new PCV pipe system around 18 months ago (supplied by Eurovettes), so I was quite sceptical that this was the issue... but you never know?! Just because something is new, doesn't mean it can't be faulty! πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
With a new PCV fitted, they also installed a new vented oil cap to see if that helped as my original is just a standard cap.

With all that done, PartsUSA drove the car around 30 miles in total and left it running on the ramp a number of times... no oil leak present.
I then drove it 30 or so miles home and checked it straight away... no oil leak present.
A week later, I drove it on Saturday night for around 30 miles and checked when I got home. Again... no oil leak present.
I drove it tonight after work for approximately 20 miles... still no oil leak present.
So... yeh... certainly a head scratching mystery as to why it leaked last time???

Obviously I'm not wanting to speak too soon, but here's hoping that the new PCV and vented oil cap might of finally solved the issue... on top of replacing every gasket, O ring and seal over the last 2 years πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ€£
I'm going to a small classic car meet on Thursday afternoon which is going to be around 140 miles as a round trip. So I will update again when I get back from that and check again for any leaks.

WISH ME LUCK PLEASE EVERYONE 🀞😬🀞

Krusty

CCCUK Member
***THE UPDATE YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR ***

What can I say?... other than I have no more oil leaks πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°
I drove the car 20 miles yesterday, all good.
Drove it just short of 140 miles tonight, and I did give it some 'spirited' driving in places 🀫
Got home and not a single smell of oil, also nothing I can see anywhere either... the entire motor is dry β™₯️

Thanks everyone for putting up with me through all this ☺️

Picture of my car this evening
20240919_183439.jpg