GT World Challenge America this weekend at VIR

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
After a break of nearly two months, GT World Challenge America powered by AWS reconvenes this weekend at Virginia International Raceway in Alton, Virginia. The track, located just 90 minutes up the road from the team’s home base in North Carolina, has served as the site of many DXDT tests and shakedowns over the years. Additionally, Tommy Milner, driver of the No. 63 KÜHL Chevrolet Corvette Z06 GT3.R, and Team Manager Erin Gahagan are both local to the area, and will certainly be hoping to continue the team’s upward trajectory at their home race.

After a Pro-Am class win in 2021 and a podium in 2022, the team will be eager to regain their spot on the podium after a lean year at this event last summer.
If the team’s last event is anything to go by, they’re in perfect position to do just that.
At the Circuit of the Americas in May, DXDT earned the first wins for the Corvette Z06 GT3.R in worldwide competition by sweeping the weekend. Milner and co-driver Alec Udell will be looking to return the No. 63 to victory lane this weekend, something Milner has done here in a Corvette twice previously in IMSA and ALMS competition.

“Corvettes have been very good in the past at VIR. The C8.R was superb there,” said Milner. “As we’ve seen so far this year with the Z06 GT3.R, the style of racetrack lends itself to what this car does so well.
I’m always excited to race there. It’s kind of my home track.
The people are great Connie [Nyholm], Kerrigan [Smith] and Mike [Rose] all just great people to work with, and they put on a good show for the fans.”

On the other side of the garage, the No. 08 FENEX Corvette of Scott Smithson and Bryan Sellers will be looking to capitalize on the strong pace they’ve shown in their recent outings. After narrowly missing out on a podium in the team’s debut weekend with Corvette in Sebring, they continued to run at the pointy end of the field but ran into issues in both races in Austin that prevented them from earning representative results.
Finishing the job is something that Sellers says will be of paramount importance this weekend.

“I think the Corvette will suit [VIR] very well,” expressed Sellers. “It’s a track that it will excel at. The more time we can continue to get our hands on the car and get familiar with it, the more we’ll grow and the better we will become.
“That’ll be our goal at VIR – to take the next step and hopefully get both cars in contention and on the podium.
There’s still a massive learning curve, and it’s a big undertaking, but we are moving in the right direction.”

The action, running from July 18-21, kicks off with a test day on Thursday and practice on Friday before two 90-minute races on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. As always, you can follow along with the action on our social media channels and watch every session from qualifying onward on youtube.com/GTWorld!

From the Drivers

Alec Udell: No. 63 KÜHL Corvette Z06 GT3.R

“I’m looking forward to being back behind the wheel of the DXDT Corvette Z06 GT3.R with Tommy in GT World Challenge America. It’s a wonderful series and I really enjoy the competition there. We’re looking to build on the success of the last round at COTA and to continue the momentum that the Corvettes have gained over the last few rounds in IMSA and other worldwide competition. It could definitely be a tricky one this weekend at VIR. It’s a classic American circuit with high commitment and high risk.

There’s a risk of rain, like there always is in the summer in Virginia. I’m looking forward to navigating those tricky conditions, trying the Corvette in the wet for the first time, and continuing to learn as much as I can throughout the process.”

Tommy Milner: No. 63 KÜHL Corvette Z06 GT3.R

“Corvettes have been very good in the past at VIR. The C8.R was perfect there. Tracks like Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and Laguna Seca have suited this car pretty well, and I think VIR will follow along.
As we’ve seen so far this year with the Z06 GT3.R, the style of racetrack lends itself to what this car does so well. I’m always excited to race there. It’s kind of my home track.
The people are great Connie (Nyholm), Kerrigan (Smith) and Mike (Rose) all just great people to work with, and they put on a good show for the fans.

“With DXDT having done Sebring and COTA, things are still a little new too, and they’re still learning about the Corvettes. But the feeling is that they have a decent handle on the cars at this point. It helps by having a couple of Pratt Miller engineers to help along the way.
So it does help speed up the learning curve.”

Bryan Sellers: No. 08 FENEX Corvette Z06 GT3.R

“I love VIR. It’s such a special place for so many reasons. There’s the fan side of you that loves the history, the layout and the beauty of it. You have the driver’s side that loves the purity it still possesses that is so different from many other tracks we go to. And not to mention that it’s such a great layout.
It’s a good racetrack and fun to drive. It races well, which I think is super-important.

“I think the Corvette will suit it very well. It’s a track that it will excel at. The more time we can continue to get our hands on the car and get familiar with it, the more we’ll grow and the better we will become.
If you look at Austin, we had really good results with the 63 car. We all went away happy, but still striving to improve and gain more.
That’ll be our goal at VIR to take the next step and hopefully get both cars in contention and on the podium.
There’s still a massive learning curve, and it’s a big undertaking, but we are moving in the right direction.”

Scott Smithson: No. 08 FENEX Corvette Z06 GT3.R

“VIR is such a challenge for both the drivers and the team, which is what makes it such a great track. It’s a mix of technical and fast, and should give us opportunities to race hard against our competitors.
On one hand, if you miss one corner you’re compromised for that entire sector, but on the other hand, getting it right is so rewarding here.

We’re really looking forward to getting the Corvette out on track, and based on our runs at Sebring and VIR, we should be right there challenging for the podium this weekend.”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Qualifying for this afternoon’s GT America powered by AWS race at Virginia International Raceway has been canceled due to rain, with the grid for Race 1 set based on Practice 2 times from Friday’s dry session.

SRO America made the call moments prior to the start of qualifying, which was turned into an additional 15-minute practice session for series competitors.

Jason Daskalos posted the quickest time in the session, a 2:02.379 in his No. 27 CRP Racing Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo.

Overnight and early morning rain showers soaked the 3.27-mile circuit, which resulted in sweeper trucks on track to clear off standing water prior to the start of on-track activity on Saturday.

Justin Rothberg, who set the quickest time in Practice 2, will therefore start from the pole, alongside SRO3 points leader Daskalos.

ACI Motorsports’ Curt Swearingin, meanwhile, is set to lead the GT4 class cars to the green at 1 p.m. EDT.

The 40-minute race will be streamed live on SRO’s GT World YouTube channel and on Twitch.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Tommy Milner and Alec Udell picked up their third consecutive Fanatec GT World Challenge America powered by AWS victory in Saturday’s caution-filled round at Virginia International Raceway.

Milner drove his No. 63 DXDT Racing Chevrolet Corvette Z06 GT3.R to a 1.654-second win over the No. 120 Wright Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R of Elliott Skeer following an eight-minute shootout to the finish.

Trent Hindman came home third in the No. 85 RS1 Porsche that he shared with Spencer Pumpelly, followed by the No. 93 Racers Edge Motorsports Acura NSX GT3 Evo22 of Zach Veach and Luca Mars in fourth.

Pro-Am class honors went to the No. 32 GMG Racing Porsche of Tom Sargent and Kyle Washington, which survived a race of attrition in the category that saw all cars except for the winners hit trouble.

A clash between BMW factory drivers Neil Verhagen and Robby Foley, while battling for second in Pro-Am at the time, resulted in Foley’s No. 29 Turner Motorsport BMW M4 GT3 suffering a heavy accident in Turn 3.

It brought out the race’s fourth full-course caution and saw Verhagen pit while under the yellow for loose right-rear wheel.
Verhagen was later forced to serve a drive-through penalty for incident responsibility with Foley, handing the class lead to GMG’s Sargent, who held off Verhagen for the class win following his comeback drive.

A fifth yellow came out moments after the restart for the No. 29 ST Racing BMW of Varun Choksey, which cut a tire and stopped on track, setting up the sub-ten minute dash to the checkered flag.

The pole-sitting No. 91 Regulator Racing Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo of Jeff Burton, which led early in the hands of Philip Ellis, meanwhile, spun just moments after Choksey’s incident. Burton recovered to finish third in class.

The first two cautions were for the No. 08 DXDT Corvette of Scott Smithson, who initially got stuck after an off-course excursion at the Esses prior to suffering suspected ABS failure to crash on the restart.

The No. 8 Flying Lizard Motorsports Aston Martin Vantage GT3 Evo of Elias Sabo, meanwhile, also got stuck in the wet grass to bring out another yellow.

There was suspension-related issues for the No. 19 Esses Racing Mercedes-AMG, which saw Will Hardeman make an early pit stop, while the No. 50 Chouest Povoledo Racing Mercedes-AMG didn’t make the race start due to an electrical problem.

Race 2 takes the green at 2:15 p.m. EDT with live coverage on SRO’s GT World YouTube channel and on Twitch

win.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
DXDT Racing’s Tommy Milner and Alec Udell drove their way to another Pro-class sweep with the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 GT3.R in GT World Challenge America, including an overall victory at Virginia International Raceway.
Milner and Udell were overall victors in Saturday’s first 90-minute race and were second overall Sunday to cap another stellar weekend for the Pro-class Z06 GT3.R.

The VIR weekend was doubly sweet for DXDT Racing as Bryan Sellers and Scott Smithson recorded their first Pro-Am podium finish in the team’s No. 08 Corvette Z06 GT3.R and second of the season. The duo finished third in class Sunday to match their best result as a pairing.

The team spent the two days of testing and practice before Saturday morning’s qualifying exploring different setup options to find the optimal configuration for its two Corvettes, and that paid off with the Pro-class pole positions for Udell in Race One and Milner in Race Two.

Just as it did at COTA, the DXDT team executed perfectly in Saturday’s race, with the third straight win for the No. 63 Corvette. Three full-course caution periods in the opening 35 minutes kept the field packed tight before Udell pitted from second in class and third overall with 49 minutes to go.
Milner held the position once he got on track, and the team was rewarded for its pit strategy when a fourth full-course yellow bunched up the field again, with the top two cars having yet to pit.
Milner inherited the lead with 40 minutes to go and led the rest of the way despite two restarts, including one with 10 minutes to go.

Sunday, Milner led from the outset until the race’s only full-course caution with 50 minutes to go. Udell rejoined second in the overall order but moved back to the class lead inside the final 20 minutes before finishing second overall.
Meanwhile, Sellers led Pro-Am early the first time this season for the No. 08 Z06 GT3.R and handed off to Smithson during the full-course yellow, as well. Smithson entered the race second in class and held off the fourth-place BMW for the better part of a half-hour to earn the podium finish.
DXDT Racing’s next event with the Corvette Z06 GT3.R in GT World Challenge is August 16-18 at Road America.

DXDT RACING POST-EVENT DRIVER QUOTES

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 63 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“The team is working very well. All the guys at DXDT have a lot of experience. They’ve been working really hard the last couple of years to put this kind of program together. It’s cool for me to be a part of it and help them get over the hump. This shows what this team is capable of. It shows what this car is capable of. Alec is doing a fantastic job, as well. We’re hitting on all cylinders right now.
Everything is working really well right now, so we’ll ride this for as long as we can.”

“Nothing feels like home than VIR in a Corvette. So it was a lot of fun this weekend with DXDT and the Corvette. The car wasn’t the best to start with, and we spent a lot of time with the engineers and finally sort of hit it in Race One. No changes for Race Two, and the car felt the same. Great qualifying from Alec, and a pole for me was also a great place to start from.
It was a little racey at the start of Race Two with the Porsche, but was able to stay out front. Alec had a little bit more of an exciting race than I did but still did an amazing job all weekend. We both had to work harder Sunday, but the car was great, and the team did a fantastic job with all the right strategy calls. I’m super-happy. Going four-for-four is pretty special.
The goal is to keep that rolling as long as we can. We might have a little harder time at Road America, but you never know. We’ll do our best to get two more wins.”

ALEC UDELL, NO. 63 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“We made steady progress throughout the weekend. That was really nice to see that every time we made a change, the car would respond the way we were hoping it would. So we were able to really develop on the balance of the car all the way through the practice sessions and even into qualifying.
We were all expecting rain (Saturday) and it never came, so from that perspective it would have been nice to get some running in the rain just to have that experience with the car from my side.

I know that it’s going to be a good car in the wet from what I can feel. From an execution standpoint, everything that we did this weekend was great from DXDT, the support from Corvette and Pratt Miller was very helpful. We came in with some good knowledge, and we were able to put it in the real world. I’m happy for the success the team has had on the Pro side and the Pro-Am side.

It’s cool to see the development there. Each time out, we are gaining more knowledge from a team perspective and from my side. Tommy has a ton of knowledge with this car, and it’s helpful for me to be able to learn from some great drivers like Tommy and Bryan. I’m looking forward to what can come next. It’s special to have those four wins. We will focus on the next point that we can improve on.”

BRYAN SELLERS, NO. 08 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“I’m super-happy with how Sunday went. Scott drove a great race at the end there under a ton of pressure from the Turner BMW. He kept his cool, drove defensively really strong, and it was nice to see him take that step and gain that confidence in that scenario. I’m super-proud of the team today as a whole. When you look at the Corvette program, the sister (Mercedes) program, it was just a strong day.

It makes me proud of what we are all building together. I can’t wait to see what comes down the road. I feel like we are really starting to get our heads around the Corvettes and what it takes to be successful with them. Furthermore, I’m excited about the next round at Road America.”

SCOTT SMITHSON, NO. 08 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

It was another great weekend of learning and processing in the No. 08 Corvette.
We were kind of looking at the radar prior to this weekend wondering if it was going to be wet or dry, and in the end it stayed dry for the most part, but wet conditions off track made for a tricky Race One for us. In Race Two, though, it turned around for us.

Bryan made an awesome start to get up to third and the Pro-Am lead, and then I got in under the yellow, and it was basically a street fight from there on out. Philip (Ellis) and Samantha (Tan) made it by, but I was pretty determined to hold on to third. (Justin) Rothberg made it up alongside me on the final lap, but I broke a little later into Turn One, was able to hold on to the position, and now we’re able to celebrate our first podium with Corvette!”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>