Jacking up the C5

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Just an FYI,

Lazy wrenchers instead of getting a new torque to yield bolt just used the old one
In doing so the clamping of the bolt is lost and over time the damper gets loose and spins with the belt instead
of crank rotation and causes ill engine functioning and not turning the pulleys for ALT, a/C or power steering and
damper and belts wobbles, so look for true straight rotation to know bolt is clamping down correctly to snout of crank

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
yikes, looks like a nightmare job, one I fear I will get wrong. I'm happy to work the extra hours and have a professional handle something as advanced as that.. Not that I need to replace my harmonic balancer (dampener) just yet, but anticipating the job, do we know anybody London, UK based that could attend to this? Is this something any respectable shop could do?
I was literally talking to Matt at CCM Vettes this evening about the balancer on C5s and how many he reckons he's done. Not sure where in London you are but he's in Snodland in Kent. Well worth the visit and easy to find.

VantaR

Regular user
Just an FYI,

Lazy wrenchers instead of getting a new torque to yield bolt just used the old one
In doing so the clamping of the bolt is lost and over time the damper gets loose and spins with the belt instead
of crank rotation and causes ill engine functioning and not turning the pulleys for ALT, a/C or power steering and
damper and belts wobbles, so look for true straight rotation to know bolt is clamping down correctly to snout of crank
Incredibly sorry teamzr1, but I am a complete newb and all of this is going right over my head :cry:. Too much time in the office and not enough in my non-existent garage!

VantaR

Regular user
I was literally talking to Matt at CCM Vettes this evening about the balancer on C5s and how many he reckons he's done. Not sure where in London you are but he's in Snodland in Kent. Well worth the visit and easy to find.
66 Miles / 1hr 23min drive. I am based in the West, but still doable! I think I'll give him a call closer to the issue presenting itself! (Hopefully not too soon on my current softly driven 60k miles..)

Being a new owner and somewhat of a perfectionist I have a few "issues" I'd like to tackle but have realised I have now sabotaged this thread. Apologies all..

Step 1: To Halfords for the jack, will get the job done as I have fortunately tackled my beer gut and have more space to work with now :LOL:
Step 2: To find some good jack-stands.
Step 3: To find some wood, easy enough.
Step 4: Race ramps via Amazon.

Am I missing anything? Rest assured you will hear from me soon, I'm planning on getting all of these quirks sorted so I can meet you all at future meets! There is one particular one I'd like to go to in Druid Street SE1 at the end of the month, although I'm not sure what the crowd is like..

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Incredibly sorry teamzr1, but I am a complete newb and all of this is going right over my head :cry:. Too much time in the office and not enough in my non-existent garage!

Real simple to know if the crank damper pulley needs replacement, or if its crank bolt is loose

With engine running at idle, easy to see on driver's side
follow the belt downward and you see the damper
If all is well, the damper will rotate smoothly
If it wobbles than needs someone to check if it's a damper degraded or the bolt to the crank is loose

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
YouTube is your friend! Pretty much every job I've done on mine I've had some excellent advice on here and then popped off to YouTube to find a video of someone else doing it. You'd struggle to find something someone has posted a video about on these cars tbh.