Aftermarket seats advice

ami_roberts

CCCUK Member
Just fulfilled a lifelong dream and bought my beloved 1979 C3. I am a petite (ish) woman and struggling a bit with the recline of the driver seat. Obviously i can adjust front and back for me short legs but the backrest is just too reclined for comfort. The cushion trick wedged behind works but looks rough. Anyone tried any aftermarket seats? I have found quite a few different ones that look to be the right dimensions but a bit nervous to purchase in case they're wrong/need too much adjustment on the frames etc.

Roscobbc

Quite a few people have fitted C5 seats to a C3 which seems to give an improved degree of comfort and perhaps raised the seating position a little (probably ok for you) - but it'll cost you to do this. I'd be inclined to experiment with thick spacer/washers under the rear seat mounting bolt positions (using longer bolts if needed). This will have the effect of tipping the seat-back slightly forward......although it will obviously also raise the rear of the seat which you may find unsuitable - inexpensive way to experiment though!

TimP

CCCUK Member
Hi Ami,

Just seen your post on this subject and it reminded me that you asked this question at the Sussex Club meeting. Good to meet you there - that's a lovely car you have and it has some interesting and really nicely done mods.

This should work for your '79 as well as the 68-76 as shown here. I think the actual cushion design changed in '78 but the basic frame stayed the same.

To answer your question - the seats do have some adjustment for recline although they are not quite as easy to adjust as they might be.

There are 4 large headed bolts that control the recline angle - two are fitted to the back of the seat squab frame and 2 are fitted to the bottom of the back rest (see pics of my rather ratty seat). They should be clear to see if you pull the seat backrest fully forward.

here's one on the seat base... and secondly all four
Interior-62.jpg Interior-63.jpg

Unscrewing the bolts on the bottom of the seat back (or screwing them in) changes the recline angle - just make sure to do the same amount on both sides or else it will twist the frame.

I found a video regarding this on You Tube...

76 Corvette Recline adjust

.... which shows it very well. Incidentally this is quite a good channel for later C3 info and 'how-to's'

Whether this will be enough for you depends on how far these bolts have been adjusted already but it's worth a try before considering an expensive swap option.

Hope this helps.

phill78

CCCUK Member
Just fulfilled a lifelong dream and bought my beloved 1979 C3. I am a petite (ish) woman and struggling a bit with the recline of the driver seat. Obviously i can adjust front and back for me short legs but the backrest is just too reclined for comfort. The cushion trick wedged behind works but looks rough. Anyone tried any aftermarket seats? I have found quite a few different ones that look to be the right dimensions but a bit nervous to purchase in case they're wrong/need too much adjustment on the frames etc.
Hi you should look out for a set of Mazda Mx5 seats
they fit

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I think '79's don't have the adjustment screws found on our earlier versions Tim. Place a cushion or rolled up towel behind the seat back to push it forward maybe?

Congrats on your dream Corvette

ami_roberts

CCCUK Member
Hi Ami,

Just seen your post on this subject and it reminded me that you asked this question at the Sussex Club meeting. Good to meet you there - that's a lovely car you have and it has some interesting and really nicely done mods.

This should work for your '79 as well as the 68-76 as shown here. I think the actual cushion design changed in '78 but the basic frame stayed the same.

To answer your question - the seats do have some adjustment for recline although they are not quite as easy to adjust as they might be.

There are 4 large headed bolts that control the recline angle - two are fitted to the back of the seat squab frame and 2 are fitted to the bottom of the back rest (see pics of my rather ratty seat). They should be clear to see if you pull the seat backrest fully forward.

here's one on the seat base... and secondly all four
View attachment 24343 View attachment 24344

Unscrewing the bolts on the bottom of the seat back (or screwing them in) changes the recline angle - just make sure to do the same amount on both sides or else it will twist the frame.

I found a video regarding this on You Tube...

76 Corvette Recline adjust

.... which shows it very well. Incidentally this is quite a good channel for later C3 info and 'how-to's'

Whether this will be enough for you depends on how far these bolts have been adjusted already but it's worth a try before considering an expensive swap option.

Hope this helps.
Hi Tim, hopefully you will be there next Thursday so we can chat a little more on it. I think i know what you mean but might be easier to explain in person as i can't see any of these bolts on my seats (albeit i cant see underneath properly)