"Barn Find" '91 C4 ZR1 on Ebay

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Only 3 days left on auction
If looking at other auctions, they have done is like old trucks and trailers
I doubt they know what a ZR-1 is about

On their selling page says via eBay email can contact them with questions or shows a text phone to call

Last triumph

Well-known user
I'm wondering why a '92 is registered on a H plate. Earliest possible build date would be Aug 1st 1991, and that is if it was the first cab out the rank of Bowling Green and even if it was, that by default puts it on a J plate at the earliest.

Another thing to consider is the oeveral level of corrosions from damp / incorrect storage. Everything inside and out will have that fine coat of rust / corrosion on it that whilst maybe not structural, would make it a BIG job to bring up to scratch.

I think any prospective buyer (and I did consider it, very briefly) would need to do so on the assumption that bose amps will be toast, the weather stripping finished, the roof panel likely cracked / crazed, the A/C dry, a plethora of electrical and sensor issues and then a whack-a-mole of oil leaks from everywhere as soon as you turn it over as all the seals crack and or tear - and we all know how Mobil 1 just loves to find it's way out of even a suggestion of a gap. Tyres all all likely shot, interior probably scruffy as hell,t paint done for etc, etc

It's a full modern resto if you ask me, which given you could import a decent running car for less than £30k makes this one a 'for the challenge of it' rather than a sound economic route to market.

At much more than its at now, it becomes a parts car or race car project, which would make much more sense, albeit a real shame.

All in my humble opinion.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It will certainly eat up the money getting it to just look nice, that’s without any mechanical issues it may have. Only for the brave me thinks.
No idea as to why it’s on a “H” 1990 plate, the DVLA are pretty good at allocating the correct year plate according to the US title. Without that title it will be a mystery.

Last triumph

Well-known user
It will certainly eat up the money getting it to just look nice, that’s without any mechanical issues it may have. Only for the brave me thinks.
No idea as to why it’s on a “H” 1990 plate, the DVLA are pretty good at allocating the correct year plate according to the US title. Without that title it will be a mystery.
Yep, that and lack of additional pictures, conspicuous by omission, make this a real gamble. Also got to assume it was parked up for a reason and that the reason likely expensive / serious - motor? transmission? etc, etc.

Of course it could be that diamond in the rough where a weekend of cleaning, polishing, basic service items and some fresh fuel makes this a fabulous find, but I'd not be paying good money on the hope that is the case.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
The ad says its a '92, but if you check the taxed/Mot status it says its a '91 manufactured car. "H" reg was August '90 to July '91 me thinks? The seller has obviously attached a battery to it to get the photo of the illuminated dash. Obviously doesn't say whether he has attempted to start it, for whatever reason?

Last edited:

Last triumph

Well-known user
The ad says its a '92 but if you check the taxed/Mot status it says its a '91 manufactured car. "H" reg was August '90 to July '91 me thinks.
Indeed, and looking again at the single pic of the dash, under the dirt it is actually the 90' / 91 dark metallic grey finish, rather than the pure black of the '92, so yes, definitely a '91 MY. Good call.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Indeed, and looking again at the single pic of the dash, under the dirt it is actually the 90' / 91 dark metallic grey finish, rather than the pure black of the '92, so yes, definitely a '91 MY.
You know your stuff!! (y) Surely anyone "thinking about it" would have contacted the seller to see if they could inspect it before bidding and maybe trying to start it?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Being Lotus in the UK
This may have been a testpig for them and if so it may have some goodies and why model year is in question
Look at that large hose or wire loom on the left near firewall and ECM above it
That was not with stock productions in any years

Being the low build counts per year, anyone knows if C4 ZR-1s were even being bought much in the UK ?
I think with a good cleanup this ZR-1 might be much better looking then as is

s-l1600.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Also notice the ZR-1 emblems are not on the sides of clamshell hood as should be, does not look like they were taken off
Also, the color of the lens for taillights are not as in the USA

ZR1side.jpg

Last triumph

Well-known user
Being Lotus in the UK
This may have been a testpig for them and if so it may have some goodies and why model year is in question
Look at that large hose or wire loom on the left near firewall and ECM above it
That was not with stock productions in any years

Being the low build counts per year, anyone knows if C4 ZR-1s were even being bought much in the UK ?

View attachment 25739
I believe that all the Lotus development cars were based on '86 coupes.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member

View attachment 25739
[/QUOTE]

Indeed. You would have thought a nice wash and brush up would enhance its appearance no end, and it would look better to possible buyers.
All very well showing the “as found barn find” look, but that can be off putting to some.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If you look at the other vehicles this seller has for auction, they all look like barn finds and are filthy

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Yes, absolutely. I'm back in the market for another Corvette and currently considering a ZR-1 or C5 Z06.
The blue C5 Z06 Commemorative up for auction on the below looks great. Being sold by a CCCUK member. See his post about it on the Facebook page. I loved my C6 when I had it, just as much as my C7. Nice low miles yellow UK spec/supplied C6 limited number Victory editon for sale in the below too. LS2/400 bhp. Nice, once you get rid of the rear wing.
Used cars for sale - PistonHeads UK

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Do hate it when sellers put POA on their adverts. They know what they want for the car, so why the bloody hell don’t they price it up. ???

Last triumph

Well-known user
Do hate it when sellers put POA on their adverts. They know what they want for the car, so why the bloody hell don’t they price it up. ???
I think it's because it's just an ad stating that the car will be up for auction on 18th May.

But yes I agree, POA means not enquiry from me for a general ad.
And don't get me started on ads where they do not state the number of previous owners.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Yes Its in an auction. "Guide price" £23-29k + 15% Buyers premium on their website. Optimistic? I'd have the C6 Victory edition auto please/Dont need a manual. You can however change gears manually (6 speed) on the C6 with the paddle shifters on that, if thats what you like doing.
For Sale | 2004 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZO6 Commemorative Edition-For Sale

Last edited: