C5 UK market question

Z28DUNC

Busy user
A quick answer, yes manuals are more expensive and less plentiful so command a premium. Mileage definitely will matter but in a good way, if you don't mind higher mileage you can pay a lot less. Maintenance is key. Don't worry about the engine Id be looking at everything attach to it backwards (torque tube, clutch etc) and all the suspension. I bought mine with 142k on it but nearly everything has been replaced.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member

Last triumph

Well-known user
Yes think you can forget Germany/higher prices. But think you will find that mobile.de has the most cars? Be interested to know whats the top of your budget for this elusive car?
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?dam=false&isSearchRequest=true&ms=6325;4;;&ref=quickSearch&s=Car&sb=rel&vc=Car
Noted. I've only just re-entered the market so in the research stage. A good delve into sold results on Bring a Trailer as a home market litmus test suggests that mid-miles 6 speeds can sell for between $15-$20k, give or take, a little more for super low milers

For example:

So if we said $17,500 plus all the charges and fees, RoRo, US and UK shipping, taxes, duty etc, etc would work out about £20k in my garage, which would be toward the upper end of where I'd want to be.

Last triumph

Well-known user
@Last triumph Are you buying as an enthusiast/owner or investor/prospector or mix of both?
Good question.

The only way I can afford to play with and enjoy these kind of cars is to make sure that whatever I put into them, I can get most of it back with relative ease. I can't afford to get burned or take a significant depreciation loss. I have to buy very carefully to mitigate as much resale risk as possible.

Adopting this strategy has permitted me to enjoy and experience cars that within a traditional depreciation curve or trade/retail profit margin gap, I could have never afforded.

Last triumph

Well-known user
The white convertible looks nice, always liked white with a red interio think there's a colour combo I'd not be happy with. My favourite exterior colo
Yes, does look good.
I like most of the colour and trim combos and especially like Yellow, Pewter and Red.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The factory yellows to me have always looked good on the various model years. I wouldn’t like a bright yellow on a mid-year but the factory pastel shade looked great. The bright yellow used on later C3/4/5/6 suited the car great.
A bright yellow C5 convertible 🙂 yeh baby.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Noted. I've only just re-entered the market so in the research stage. A good delve into sold results on Bring a Trailer as a home market litmus test suggests that mid-miles 6 speeds can sell for between $15-$20k, give or take, a little more for super low milers

For example:

So if we said $17,500 plus all the charges and fees, RoRo, US and UK shipping, taxes, duty etc, etc would work out about £20k in my garage, which would be toward the upper end of where I'd want to be.

The red 99, lists history in Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri.
All those states have high humidity, rain, snow, ice, sand or salt on winter roads

Means lots of corrosion hidden by the body

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The thing is, yes, the northern states have the harsh winters so rust is/can be a problem, but the southern states have the warmer sunny climate that causes problems with paintwork and interiors.
Even the fabled “Californian” cars that are raved over have problems due to that never ending summer sun.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The white ragtop listed above is in Washington state, so all above about weather, plus they tend to use a chip seal on roads
Those sharp rocks break off and really do a number to like hood and windshields

States like Il, WI, etc also have tended to use fricking cinders on winter roads and can do a real number to paint jobs
That adds to the issues of everything exposed to outside as rotting gaskets, grommets, seals, rusted bolts/nuts

All of that should be thought of when choosing a non-local Corvette to buy as to selling price

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
As it’s a rag top, it might be tucked away at the beginning of October in a nice warm garage only to reemerge in springtime.
A bit like my sister’s tortoises who have been asleep since October and are STILL sleeping peacefully 🐢💤💤

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
would work out about £20k in my garage
This one has been for sale on Autotrader for months. Obviously a club member who, for whatever reasons. doesn't think its a good idea to advertise it on here. Offer him/her £20k and see what happens?

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
This one has been for sale on Autotrader for months. Obviously a club member who, for whatever reasons. doesn't think its a good idea to sdvertise it on here. Offer him/her £20k and see what happens?
Looks very nice to me. Good colour, fantastic mileage, and a convertible to boot.

BobbyV8

CCCUK Member
This one has been for sale on Autotrader for months. Obviously a club member who, for whatever reasons. doesn't think its a good idea to advertise it on here. Offer him/her £20k and see what happens?
That's the one on eBay

Last triumph

Well-known user
<Darth Vader voice>. I find the lack of clutch pedal disturbing.