corvette c3

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I do have an outdoor cover for my C3, and I think it was one specifically for C3s, but I forget where I got it from. Sadly its deteriorated in recent years and just seems to fall apart or rip easily now. Last time I used it was for the British Motor Show where I discovered that it was really falling apart. Ideally I need a new one, but I don't really use it that often anyway as my C3 lives in the garage.

Roscobbc

As Gavin says.
Not many people can attest to using outdoor covers on Vettes without paint abrasion or even worse, micro blistering. Best use a Carcoon or cover that allows an air gap around the car that features a framework supported cover.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Mine's been 10 years under Stormforce 4 layer covers. They last about 3 years before they need replacing. As mentioned one or two areas rub through but overall it's much better than leaving the car in the open if you don't have access to shelter. Any micro blistering dries out in the spring/ summer I find.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I agree about not liking to use a cover, but it was a choice between a cover potentially causing paintwork issues (which I didn't get any), or have the inside of the car get wet and damaged every time it rains. Slowly being trying to fix the leaks when I can find them, but thankfully have most of the time managed to keep the car in a garage. But for a short time, the car cover was a necessary evil.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Don't, it can harm the paint due to trapping moisture
Seen several cars with microblister problems after being stored underneath covers outside. Certain days with rapid temperature changes are the worst for Condensation with pints and pints of water forming on the car, combined with the cover whipping the paintwork in the wind , not a good scenario. . I have even seen condensation on my vehicles in an airchamber on a couple of frosty days when the sun has come out and rapidly warmed the garage. Normally the moving air within the chamber keeps the condensation from forming on the cold surfaces but sometimes even the chamber cant cope. A separate insulated room within the larger garage seems the best solution , or a heated integral garage ajoining the house
Mine's been 10 years under Stormforce 4 layer covers. They last about 3 years before they need replacing. As mentioned one or two areas rub through but overall it's much better than leaving the car in the open if you don't have access to shelter. Any micro blistering dries out in the spring/ summer I find.
trouble is , a micro blister is a lack of adhesion between the paint and the substrate . Once it has blistered it cant just re stick itself, the bond is broken it either stays as a blister which may eventually break off leaving a spot with no paint, or at best swell with heat and then shrink back when cools but it is still not attached to the primer or gel so is on borrowed time. Glass cars can still have blistering issues even having never been under a cover. Mine has a few and these are from poor prep, and the PO just sanding back the paint instead of strippinback to glassfibre . This has left a few blisters but also lots of shrinkage around repairs and feathering of different paint layers. Will one day hope to strip and repaint properly. Probably when I finally find a short bb hood 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Seen several cars with microblister problems after being stored underneath covers outside. Certain days with rapid temperature changes are the worst for Condensation with pints and pints of water forming on the car, combined with the cover whipping the paintwork in the wind , not a good scenario. . I have even seen condensation on my vehicles in an airchamber on a couple of frosty days when the sun has come out and rapidly warmed the garage. Normally the moving air within the chamber keeps the condensation from forming on the cold surfaces but sometimes even the chamber cant cope. A separate insulated room within the larger garage seems the best solution , or a heated integral garage ajoining the house

trouble is , a micro blister is a lack of adhesion between the paint and the substrate . Once it has blistered it cant just re stick itself, the bond is broken it either stays as a blister which may eventually break off leaving a spot with no paint, or at best swell with heat and then shrink back when cools but it is still not attached to the primer or gel so is on borrowed time. Glass cars can still have blistering issues even having never been under a cover. Mine has a few and these are from poor prep, and the PO just sanding back the paint instead of strippinback to glassfibre . This has left a few blisters but also lots of shrinkage around repairs and feathering of different paint layers. Will one day hope to strip and repaint properly. Probably when I finally find a short bb hood 👍
Likewise on mine too . Only very minute blistering mostly on front wing tops and shows up most under fluorescent lights .