Grease nipple points

Nigel curry

CCCUK Member
Hi all can someone tell me how many grease points I am looking for on my 1979 coupe and should I just buy a standard every day gun and grease,I guess what I’m asking is,is a standard grease gun going to fit and is there a preferred grease
Many thanks all
Nige

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Hi all can someone tell me how many grease points I am looking for on my 1979 coupe and should I just buy a standard every day gun and grease,I guess what I’m asking is,is a standard grease gun going to fit and is there a preferred grease
Many thanks all
Nige
Nige, I had a look on the Haynes manual I got from a friend the other day (much better version than the one I bought recently) and it highlighted suspension and steering lube points on a diagram, but not how many there were. I duly stuck my car (72) up on ramps and axle stands and just lubed what I could find/see, steering linkage balljoints, steering control valve adapter, suspension lube points, all at the front of the car, couldn't see any at rear. (Was used to lubing my propshaft and jag IRS on my Morris Hot Rod, but none of that on the Vette, or I couldn't see any) I just used a grease gun that I've had for a few years now (Swiss made) which fitted all the above grease nipples no probs and I had filled it with decent CV grease that I purchased at local Auto Store a few years back too. All seems fine to date! Hope that helps? Jim G

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Also look in the rear as to ball joints and maybe each end of driveshaft universal joints also have zert fittings
Maybe in the past OEM parts were replaced and new ones had the zerts
Also check tranny linkage for shifter need to be lubed up

Maybe a good time to see if the wheel bearings need to be repacked with grease

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Nigel, yes a "standard" grease gun will work. I have a Wanner item that I've had for about 55 years! But the sort of thing that someone like Halfords do will be fine.

You should find that there is a grease nipple on each track rod end, so 4. Plus, one on the ball joint on the power steering ram, one on the P/S control valve and one on the idler arm. Plus, there is a nipple on each ball joint at the front, all four "on top" of the A arms. So, in total, eleven. I have read some suggestions that the P/S Control Valve should only be greaseed when the engine is running and the fluid pressurised,to save the seals in the valve, but I don't know how true that is. The ball joints have a "standard" nipple on the tops, but an angled one on the bottom (well, our does!), which means you can reach the lower one without removing the wheel, but it's a faff to get to the upper one with it in place!

At the rear, if you have greaable U/J s on the half shafts, there will be another 4. They (the U/Js) of course need to be properly positioned with the nipples correctly orientated in order to be accessed by the gun with the shafts in place. If they are you'll still need the car in the air so you can turn the shafts to reach each nipple.

I think you sometimes find grease nipples on the prop shaft, but I'm not sure.

Use general "chassis" grease, LM standard.