High Speed Driving Days - North Weald 2024

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
North Weald “Activity” Days – 21st May & 20th August 2024

For some of us, this is perhaps the most exciting event of the season, a real chance to put your car and driving to the test. With large parts of North Weald aerodrome being bought by Google for a data centre, this will be your last chance to enjoy what is described as an activity day. Regardless of the age or car or driver, this is suitable for all abilities and types.

If you have read the reports in Vette News, you will know that this means that, in the morning, you get to do high-speed handling tests, during which you will learn a lot about you and your car and how to drive it. The afternoon will involve a “sprint” around the MSUK sprint track, against the clock [one car at a time] which, I can tell you, is really, really fun.

There are very few places in the country where events like this can be held. Because it is an aerodrome, there is a lot of space. Couple this to the fact that only one car is “on track” at a time and it is impossible to hit anything. It is also limited to 20 cars; last time out we had 10 Corvette’s present, so let’s see if we can top that record for what may be our final times. Also, it is just off the M11/M25, north of London, [CM16 6HR] with good access for many of you around the country.

For those of us that have been before, it is difficult to overstate how much fun it is – challenging certainly – but a pure thrill. Also, meeting up with other members and chatting about each run is really enjoyable.

We realise that this sort of excitement and finding out about what you and your Corvette can do and learning to develop that is not something that many people want to experience, but if you do, you will be most welcome to join us. This will be the last year we can do this which, from my perspective, is bad news, but let’s make the most of it whilst we can. You can sign up for one, either or both.

This is NOT a Club organised event – you have to book it yourself. Please go to:

DRIVE LIMITS - North Weald Driver Training

and scroll down the calendar to find these events. It is self-explanatory from there.

Please let me know if you do book – many thanks.

Hope to see you there!

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark Eaton

PS Both events are booking fast, so get in while you can.

Last edited:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I saw that Google were buying up parts of the airfield. I did wonder if that meant it'd affect the sprint days there. As some of you will know, it was my first time there last year and really enjoyed it. I'll have to see if I can go again this year, but it'd depend on time and finances etc. Oh and I'll be bringing the FTO again - don't fancy the long journey in the C3 and having to leave it in a cramped carpark overnight at hotel.

In case anyone new to this was wondering - the airfield is JUST outside the ULEZ area. Which is good for me when I bring the FTO.

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
I saw that Google were buying up parts of the airfield. I did wonder if that meant it'd affect the sprint days there. As some of you will know, it was my first time there last year and really enjoyed it. I'll have to see if I can go again this year, but it'd depend on time and finances etc. Oh and I'll be bringing the FTO again - don't fancy the long journey in the C3 and having to leave it in a cramped carpark overnight at hotel.

In case anyone new to this was wondering - the airfield is JUST outside the ULEZ area. Which is good for me when I bring the FTO.
Hope you can make it!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Hope you can make it!
Well, someone from the club has got to be there to take the "Slowest Time of the Day" trophy :ROFLMAO:

But yes, I'm hoping to be there for one of them. Not sure which yet, as I was thinking of inviting a mate along in whatever car he brings, so he too can feel better about me having the slowest time.

Termie

CCCUK Member
I'm booked for both days. I may not use the vette for both though, and will decide closer to the time.

Sad to hear it may be the last year - I first visited North Weald over 10 yrs ago when I still lived in Scotland.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I'm booked for both days. I may not use the vette for both though, and will decide closer to the time.

Sad to hear it may be the last year - I first visited North Weald over 10 yrs ago when I still lived in Scotland.
Nice one Manish👍
So is your Yaris quicker than the C8 on this circuit?….not sure I want to know actually😂

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Hah, that is a good question! But alas, the Yaris is with me no more. If you recall, I had an itch to own an Alpine A110 at some point, so the Yaris has changed to a 300 GT.
Alpines are an unusual sight. I imagine that will be extremely quick around the twisty track.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Well, someone from the club has got to be there to take the "Slowest Time of the Day" trophy :ROFLMAO:

But yes, I'm hoping to be there for one of them. Not sure which yet, as I was thinking of inviting a mate along in whatever car he brings, so he too can feel better about me having the slowest time.
I think you might have some competition for the slowest time this year because I am attending for the 1st time 😂

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Gosh, down to 6 spaces in August now, and 9 in May. I was going to book August like last time, but can't find any cheap hotels nearby. May have to be May, unless I fancy getting up and driving for 4 hours, do the day, then drive back 4 hours in the same day. Possible I guess..... Andy will have to take me for a spin in his C3 before I drive home - that'll wake me up :ROFLMAO:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have now booked the May date in, and my cheap hotel. So I'll be there in the FTO again. I'm hoping to bring along a mate in his car too, but we'll see if he books. As per above, I originally wanted August, but the hotels were around 3 times more expensive than the cheap one I got last year and in May this year.

phn

CCCUK Member
I'm interested to attend, but how hard is the day on the car? I always drive my cars smoothly and wouldnt want to do anything that could damage or overstress the car in any way - it's just too nice for that!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I'm interested to attend, but how hard is the day on the car? I always drive my cars smoothly and wouldnt want to do anything that could damage or overstress the car in any way - it's just too nice for that!
It’s only as hard on the car as you want it to be, you can stick with a pace you‘re comfortable with for the car, that’s absolutely fine.
The time on the track is relatively short bursts with a good rest for the car each time, so you’re unlikely to overheat anything. There are no long straights where the car might be at high revs for ages. Much less stress/ duration than a track day on a circuit, plus no barriers or other cars to collide with.
We will have all driven our cars there and intend driving them home too!! We’ve also all thoroughly enjoyed these days in the past.