Well-known user
Most of you are aware of the three different hoods available on C3 Corvettes:
- standard hood for small-block engines
1969ChevroletCorvette-small-block.jpg

- raised hood for most big-block engines
1968ChevroletCorvette-427-hood.jpg

- double-raised hood for L88 and ZL1 engines
1969ChevroletCorvette-L88.jpg

However, those weren't the only differences in Corvette bodies in 1968 and 1969, among different engine choices. If you ticked those very expensive option boxes, L88 or ZL1, the factory threw in a set of four fender flares to stroke your ultimate warrior ego.
L88-fender-flares-repro.jpg
Why didn't they install them at the factory, you may well ask. Chevrolet realized that very few of these cars would be purchased, so it made no sense to reconfigure body jigs for such a small number, not to mention the associated problems with shipping wider cars by transport or rail. They simply threw them behind the seats. It was up to the purchaser to install them, and most did not.

But, don't they just make the car?
1969ChevroletCorvette-ZL1-Duntov-mule.jpg
Zora Arkus-Duntov's 1969 ZL1 mule. Hood and fender flares. The complete package.

GM PART NUMBERS: 3958681 (LF), 3958682 (RF), 3958683 (LR), 3958684 (RR).

The L88/ZL1 hood (minus the flares) still looks good though, no?
L88-ZL1-hood.jpg

Keep-Calm-Zora-250.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have the raised hood (middle picture) on my 327. Its amusing as I often hear people at car shows exclaim "OMG its a big block!!!". So I leave the hood down and let them just think it is a big block. In actual fact it is the base 327/300hp model and it is more than enough for me. I should add that if anyone asks then I do correct them that it is a 327, and I don't badge it as a big block or anything. To be fair though, some people sound disappointed when I say it is a 327 small block. So best to let them live in their happiness I guess.

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
I have the raised hood (middle picture) on my 327. Its amusing as I often hear people at car shows exclaim "OMG its a big block!!!". So I leave the hood down and let them just think it is a big block. In actual fact it is the base 327/300hp model and it is more than enough for me. I should add that if anyone asks then I do correct them that it is a 327, and I don't badge it as a big block or anything. To be fair though, some people sound disappointed when I say it is a 327 small block. So best to let them live in their happiness I guess.

Thank you very much for responding CaptainK. It is interesting to hear people's reaction to big-blocks. Given that I have one, it works with the hood closed or open for me. ;)

There is no doubt that Chevrolet has done wonders with the LSx line of engines. Many, many years of development by skilled people will do that. I understand why they stopped doing so with big-blocks, but one can imagine the performance outcome had they put that kind of effort into big-blocks too. It is still possible to buy a dinosaur big-block crate engine from Chevrolet, across the parts counter, right up to the ZZ572/720R. Yes, that's 720 horsepower with a simple OLD-FASHIONED, OBSOLETE NON-FUEL-INJECTED CARBURET(T)OR. Just imagine what could have been. C'est la vie.

CLICK HERE for a look at 720hp from a simple carb

Roscobbc

Just think - all that power and the only limiting factor is YOU and your right foot - no ABS, no YAW or other nanny electronic controls - you get all of the power (unlike late model car that actually restrict the amount of power put down to the road depending on traction available):eek:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I'd love a 572 big block in my C3. But there are two things that put me off: 1) the cost, 2) I'd probably kill myself. With that in mind I'll just leave the hood down and just continue to let other people think I have a big block.

Roscobbc

Not much chance of hiding that 572 under the hood - its a tall deck block. Be afraid (very) of braking something in the driveline before you manage to 'kill' yourself!

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
Not much chance of hiding that 572 under the hood - its a tall deck block. Be afraid (very) of braking something in the driveline before you manage to 'kill' yourself!
That's the main reason why I chose the ZZ502. The 572's tall deck block presents a number of problems to overcome, not the least of which is intake manifold, distributor fitment and needing room for a wider cylinder-head-spread which moves the exhaust manifolds/headers further apart. They're already very close to the steering box as it is. Not impossible, but there are some complications...money complication too. LOL.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Well yes, quite. But if I'd gone to the effort (and money!) of putting a 572 in there, then you could bet your bottom dollar I'd want to show it off at shows etc - so very much hood open :D

Roscobbc

Well yes, quite. But if I'd gone to the effort (and money!) of putting a 572 in there, then you could bet your bottom dollar I'd want to show it off at shows etc - so very much hood open :D
I drove mine sans hood for quite a while - spending months polishing the Brodix valve covers I wanted my hard work to be visible!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Before I got to my car it had a 454 in it, ex hollywood marine powerboat engine, went well with the hood off and not so well with the hood on - all down to a tall deck and consequent low induction air flow. Size is important but not if it constricts - now running a 454 with normal deck height, high rise inlet manifold, normal pancake filter with a twin turbo high rise hood, it just clears the filter housing and has the twin turbo inlets at the front to let more air in under the hood and of course vents at the back of the hood to let the excess hot air out.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I'd love a 572 big block in my C3. But there are two things that put me off: 1) the cost, 2) I'd probably kill myself. With that in mind I'll just leave the hood down and just continue to let other people think I have a big block.

There are plenty of times when someone has said to me, (usually a sales person) why go for the bigger engine, they both have the same 0 to 60 mph times and max speed - the answer is "TORQUE" TORQUE Talks - it is lazy brute power and I love it.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I drove mine sans hood for quite a while - spending months polishing the Brodix valve covers I wanted my hard work to be visible!

Ross, there are of course different schools of thought on this, but I think the general consensus of opinion on engine polishing is you apply the mop to those components within the interior of the engine, rather than do a valet job on the exterior.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
On the question of Hood open or closed for me, generally although 454 chromed and polished etc, it is Hood closed for me, otherwise I have people leaning in over the wider fenders with zips and buttons on my paintwork - I just lift the Hood when individuals want a peep.