Newbie advice please - looking at a 1972 C3 targa this weekend

marchartog

Regular user
Hi all,

I am looking forward to getting back into classic car ownership and have always admired the Stingray. The kids are excited, the Mrs has said 'do what you want' - which sounds like an interesting conversation if I actually do ;o) - and I have found one that I like. It is in St Albans, we are viewing it on Saturday, the seller (Virgo Performance) won't allow a test drive, which makes me a little nervous though I appreciate there are probably a lot of joy riders out there. This is the car: 1972 Chevrolet Corvette 350 C3 Targa (manual) For Sale

So a couple of questions, if I may:

1. Does anyone know of this car?
2. Does the price sound about right?
3. I have read quite a bit about what to look for, but am no expert (though the panel gaps seem quite big on the images) - I need someone who knows what they are looking at to inspect the car, so does anybody know of a business or individual who would offer that service in the Hertfordshire area, and what sort of inspection cost is reasonable?

That's it for now. Whether this car or another, I hope to meet some of you at an event soon.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

Roscobbc

Hmmmmm - your comment about panel gaps is true enough - passenger door seems OK - can't see drivers door - front end has obviously had a wallop. If the front bumper is straight and true then the front end where is meets up with the bumper is all over the place - indicative also that pop-up headlights (certainly the passenger side one visible in the photos) fits poorly and the front of the hood fits badly to the nose cone. Shame there is no image of the engine compartment.
C3's have been too far behind C2's in terms of prices asked for too long - they are starting to catch-up but Ā£27500 and the seller won't allow a test drive........that not good IMHO. Having said all that (and other than the points noted above it looks OK) although I don't think the cheapo side pipes do the car justice.
If you go see the car and decide to procede I have someone who is a club member and very experienced in C3 restoration who is about 35 miles away and may be prepared to do a thorough inspection for you.

marchartog

Regular user
Hmmmmm - your comment about panel gaps is true enough - passenger door seems OK - can't see drivers door - front end has obviously had a wallop. If the front bumper is straight and true then the front end where is meets up with the bumper is all over the place - indicative also that pop-up headlights (certainly the passenger side one visible in the photos) fits poorly and the front of the hood fits badly to the nose cone. Shame there is no image of the engine compartment.
C3's have been too far behind C2's in terms of prices asked for too long - they are starting to catch-up but Ā£27500 and the seller won't allow a test drive........that not good IMHO. Having said all that (and other than the points noted above it looks OK) although I don't think the cheapo side pipes do the car justice.
If you go see the car and decide to procede I have someone who is a club member and very experienced in C3 restoration who is about 35 miles away and may be prepared to do a thorough inspection for you.
Thank you I appreciate the notes and if the car looks good on the face if it I will take you up on the intro for a possible inspection. šŸ™

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
although I don't think the cheapo side pipes do the car justice.
Yeah my first thought was about those side pipes too. They just look wrong. Like you said, shame about no photo of the engine bay too. And not having a test drive? That's just weird.

Another thing worth checking is the removable kick panels on the inside of the car, just behind the front wheels. Its where you can see a part of the birdcage to give an indication of how well it is. When you sit in the car, its the interior panels just next to your feet - aka to the left of the pedals on the drivers side, and another one on the passenger side in the similar place.

Roscobbc

Yeah my first thought was about those side pipes too. They just look wrong. Like you said, shame about no photo of the engine bay too. And not having a test drive? That's just weird.

Another thing worth checking is the removable kick panels on the inside of the car, just behind the front wheels. Its where you can see a part of the birdcage to give an indication of how well it is. When you sit in the car, its the interior panels just next to your feet - aka to the left of the pedals on the drivers side, and another one on the passenger side in the similar place.
Given the 'seller' isn't allowing a test drive.........can we really see them just agreeing to remove the door cill plates etc to facilitate inspection?........the standard if that front-end repair would be enough for me (nor forgetting the 'blacked-out' grill surround and lower bumber bars.....)

marchartog

Regular user
Given the 'seller' isn't allowing a test drive.........can we really see them just agreeing to remove the door cill plates etc to facilitate inspection?........the standard if that front-end repair would be enough for me (nor forgetting the 'blacked-out' grill surround and lower bumber bars.....)
I did think that too - have confirmed that they would be happy for a full inspection. It is a dealer, though I am not sure if they represent private buyers, does sound like a fair bit of work has taken place recently. There are some engine bay pics on this link (dealer site): 1972 Chevrolet Corvette C3 Targa ā€“ for sale ā€“ Virgo Performance

marchartog

Regular user
Depending on your budget I have seen the 2 cars in the link below and they looked very nice, not cheap though.

Thanks Mick, they both look fab but well over budget sadly, right at/beyond the top end of prices I have seen, though not many will have gone through this kind of meticulous restoration.

marchartog

Regular user
What is this for with no hoses on it, for windshield washer ?

No A/C, for a hot C3 cabin area, not fun ?

Thank you - I will ask. This is the info. in the ad, not sure if the cooling system mentioned relates to engine or cabin cooling!

Features:

- This Corvette was imported into the UK in 1981
- Matching numbers car
- It is believed to be stroked to a 6. 5-litre capacity (396 CU) at some stage in its life, definitely feels quicker than a regular 350 and the log book states 6. 5L
- Original Rally wheels fitted with new BF Goodrich Radial T/ A tyres
- Upgraded cooling system
- Side exit exhausts (you have got to hear this thing, it sounds incredible)
- Targa top with its storage bag
- Disc brakes all round
- Power steering
- Original radio unit
- UK registered

We have carried out the following works:

- Complete overhaul of the braking system, new calipers, pads, discs, master cylinder
- Full service
- Electric motor conversion to popup headlights
- BF Goodrich Radial T/ A tyres all round
- Additionally, we have replaced/ changed the following:
ā€ƒ o Driver and passenger door mirror
ā€ƒ o Driver and passenger door handles
ā€ƒ o Rear view mirror
ā€ƒ o Interior mats
ā€ƒ o Interior wiper switch
ā€ƒ o Front emblem
ā€ƒ o Rear emblem
ā€ƒ o Steering wheel
ā€ƒ o Steering wheel emblem
ā€ƒ o Emblem for fuel filler door
ā€ƒ o Fuel filler cap
ā€ƒ o Lighter
ā€ƒ o Ashtray
ā€ƒ o Exterior rear number plate chrome surround
ā€ƒ o Interior armrest
ā€ƒ o New wheel trim rings

This is actually a car that wants for nothing and everything works as it should, i. e. the headlights, wiper system, clocks etc.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Thank you - I will ask. This is the info. in the ad, not sure if the cooling system mentioned relates to engine or cabin cooling!

Features:

- This Corvette was imported into the UK in 1981
- Matching numbers car
- It is believed to be stroked to a 6. 5-litre capacity (396 CU) at some stage in its life, definitely feels quicker than a regular 350 and the log book states 6. 5L
- Original Rally wheels fitted with new BF Goodrich Radial T/ A tyres
- Upgraded cooling system
- Side exit exhausts (you have got to hear this thing, it sounds incredible)
- Targa top with its storage bag
- Disc brakes all round
- Power steering
- Original radio unit
- UK registered

We have carried out the following works:

- Complete overhaul of the braking system, new calipers, pads, discs, master cylinder
- Full service
- Electric motor conversion to popup headlights
- BF Goodrich Radial T/ A tyres all round
- Additionally, we have replaced/ changed the following:
ā€ƒ o Driver and passenger door mirror
ā€ƒ o Driver and passenger door handles
ā€ƒ o Rear view mirror
ā€ƒ o Interior mats
ā€ƒ o Interior wiper switch
ā€ƒ o Front emblem
ā€ƒ o Rear emblem
ā€ƒ o Steering wheel
ā€ƒ o Steering wheel emblem
ā€ƒ o Emblem for fuel filler door
ā€ƒ o Fuel filler cap
ā€ƒ o Lighter
ā€ƒ o Ashtray
ā€ƒ o Exterior rear number plate chrome surround
ā€ƒ o Interior armrest
ā€ƒ o New wheel trim rings

This is actually a car that wants for nothing and everything works as it should, i. e. the headlights, wiper system, clocks etc.

I suspect Upgraded cooling system, means the engine coolant system as would be needed with the engine mods to 6.5 liter

As seen no belt off the crank pulley for A/C and do not see any Freon lines or compressor, unless not in view of this photo

Roscobbc

I suspect Upgraded cooling system, means the engine coolant system as would be needed with the engine mods to 6.5 liter

As seen no belt off the crank pulley for A/C and do not see any Freon lines or compressor, unless not in view of this photo
Certain early C3's that 'did not' have a/c still had a dual pulley which came with a redundant 'slot'/1709220012624.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Iā€™m a great lover of side pipes, but I think the ones on that car look horrible. Will definitely need replacement. IMO.
They make the car look unappealing.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Rust is your biggest enemy with a C3 (others too but this is a C3..) The fiberglass panels are bonded to a steel birdcage which sits atop a steel framed chassis so while the exterior of the car can be made to look presentable what lurks beneath is the important bit. C3's leak water in, in numerous places (I have a '71) and have had others. Often the water just sits quietly chomping on the available metals with no where to go such as the body mount pockets which are a crazy design. Drain tubes are often plugged so again water just sits and sits and sits.. As Mad mentions ask to remove the inspection covers in the rear arches and front footwells to see what condition the body mounts are in which will kinda give you an overall idea of condition. Stay WELL away from a rusty C3. Look for signs of blistering around the front screen trims as that includes the upper most section of the birdcage. Looking at the condition of the engine bay and that so many exterior items have been replaced all points to a bloody good rust inspection being done. Good look though, C3's can be a blast to drive especially the earlier one's

CC2017.PNG

Roscobbc

Sorry Ross but the washers were not vacuum, but came into action via a solinoid on the wiper motor,
This topic is a brilliant example for buying from someone who knows C3s not just a dealer wanting to profit with a C3
Thanks for info Gavin - I 'presumed' vacuum operation - mine (like the one in the image) simply sit unconnected. Have a small in-line pump next to OEM washer bottle.