Nice looking Vettes with Attitude here please

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I saw a 1975 corvette convertible at the Daytona Turkey run a good few years ago with a 400 in it. The car was for sale. I was very tempted to buy it, but it was in the 1975 Bright green Color, and I thought better of it. Never seen another, but I very much doubt other people haven’t done it.

Roscobbc

I think from the aftermarket performance 'view' Chevy's 400 block has historically presented a challenge re. durability when tuned and revved to the same degree as a typical 350 build. Perhaps GM were concerned about potential warranty issues in service.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think from the aftermarket performance 'view' Chevy's 400 block has historically presented a challenge re. durability when tuned and revved to the same degree as a typical 350 build. Perhaps GM were concerned about potential warranty issues in service.
Totally agree. The Pontiac 400 was always considered far superior over the Chevrolet version.
We bought a couple of 1987 El-Camino’s from American pursuit Performance ( a couple of die hard Pontiac guys who were serving Ohio state troopers ) they put ‘hot” Pontiac 400’s in a couple of SS Choo Coo’s. Could those mothers move..
Took them both to Damm Yankee’s, the white one sold there and the red one shortly after.

Roscobbc

I know certain OEM engines are renoun for longevity under arduous conditions (so SBC, BBC, SB Ford, probably others) - always understood that Poncho engines were strong as long as one kept the revs down......5000 rpm onwards and they could 'blow'. Mopar's 440's seem to be good too.
Rolls Royce (when they made car engines) I seemed to recall used to mention machined-in small oil recessed sections of bearing surfaces to act as oil reservoirs in the event of oil starvation. Cadillac made a big thing more recently about their North Star engine (I think thats the one) that also had a similar feature and the capability of isolating/shutting-down individual cylinders in the event of a major problem - and the ability to run without coolant for a limited period.
Just reminds me of the BBC engine in my car - when a big end bearing shell broke-up on one cylinder there was in excess of 30, possibly 40 thou' of play on the 'rod.....yet it still ran fine (albeit a little 'clattery') - no contact with cylinder head or valves. Much later when an oil pump drive shaft sheared at high rpm and resultant zereo oil pressure it was only when the lifters started 'bleeding down' a mile or two later that it became apparent.....with no long term damage to the engine. Really good design by GM I'd say!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Watched an early episode of The six million dollar man. The man himself (col Steve Austin) was driving a 1974 T-top coupe. He used this vehicle in a few episodes as his personal screen vehicle before he was upgraded to a Mercedes SL.
IMG_1656.jpeg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If I recall, way back than the Chevy 400 CI was called a "wide block" as not being a small or big block
and was wanted only the fact there were lots of performance parts for it where the Pontiac 400 did not

Can still buy these, though about $7000-8000 long block with 500 flywheel HP

400ci.jpg

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That orange one is bloody awful. I just hate the oversize wheel look on any vehicle. 1970’s full size vehicles seem to be a favourite at the moment.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Well, I suppose with the donks the engine RPMs will be much lower at cruising speeds. :ROFLMAO: (assuming same standard gearbox ratios used).

Letank

CCCUK Member
Sold $100k + change. Good price for buyer and seller I think. Might need to up the insurance on yours
I didn’t see the BAT ad but another YouTube vid by the same guy would suggest it’s an L89, which iirc was effectively a 435bhp L71 big block but with aluminium heads from the factory. Only 300 or so ever made!
That would be in another league to my L46, although I probably should look at the insurance value, especially now that it’s a CCCUK Nationals winner 😉

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Here’s a very, well extremely rare car. A special 1963 stingray built by Chevrolet for Sermon “ Buckie” Knudsen. Chevrolet’s General manager.
Plenty of personal custom touches including his personal car color crimson firefrost poly. ( all his cars were painted in this color.) full white racing stripe and a White Naugahyde interior with firefrost inserts finished it off.
Looks pretty good. I think it made $1 million when last sold
3F88F433-827F-4E3D-AF14-AE832E8274F2.jpeg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
The two Nassau blue one's were in a photo shoot for Classic American today where we were blessed with stunning weather. My mate Gary with the red '65 helped out with the driving pics and after CA were done we lined them all up (and somewhat trashed some grass!)

IMG-20231015-WA0015.jpg

20231015_114608_resized.jpg

20231015_131332_resized.jpg

IMG-20231015-WA0020.jpg
Don't know if it will make the magazine or the cutting room floor? Got some drone pics but need to download them

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Do love a Nassau blue C2. There's one that turns up at Brooklands with the reg # 66 VET on it. No CCCUK stickers on it though, so presumably not a club member? "Spotted" it "at home" a few months back on my morning walk, going down a road I don't normally go down. Car was at Brooklands American Car Day in September. The owner had put a copy of the V5 in the window, presumably to demonstrate that the reg# is genuine? :)

Attachments

• 66 VET  0623.jpg
    66 VET 0623.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 13

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Nassau blue was the most popular colour for the corvette in both 1965 and 1966 model years. It was thought of as a quite outrageous colour back then. I especially like the white rag top on the car. My own car has a black top, if I ever needed to replaced it, I would change the colour to white.