Something new?

antijam

CCCUK Member
I've always thought the 'gills' of the first C3's emphasised the 'shark' origins of the design. That said the 'slatted louvres' in the fenders of my '71 seem a well integrated design element, perhaps emphasising speed rather than 'sharkness'. Must admit I can't see the point in changing unless you're trying to fool people that you have an 'early' early C3 rather than just an early one.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The “shark” gills as they became know were first introduced on the 1965 Sting Ray as approved and liked by bill Mitchell. Modified into Five for the last mid year model for 1967.
They the gills proved a very popular styling feature so we’re once again incorporated into the all new 1968 Corvette, carried over for the 1969 but stylist thought that something new was needed for the new decade hence the egg crate design for the 1970. Gills were old hat by then.
But of course sharks have gills hence this popular modification, and with the fitment of the trims add bling to the car.

Roscobbc

'Open' gills for early C3's, 'louvres' for later chrome bumper C3's each have their own styling appeal and suit the respective vehicle - surely 'converting' over to the early style gills runs a risk of devaluing a 70' onwards car? - and lets be realistic - the chrome gill inserts are far from being the best of fits!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Not having had close inspection of the side grills on 1970-72 cars for ages, I can’t remember how they come out. It may be a case of just removing the grill panel and replacing it with a gill panel painted in the cars colour. It certainly looks like that in the photo I posted. If that’s the case it’s easily returned to factory when the owner comes to sell. He’s had the enjoyment seeing his car with gills so to him it’s money well spent

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Retro seems to be all the rage, and 1969 seems to be “the year”
1969 Camaro rear Louvre’s/trims fitted to the 5th generation cars.
I must say it looks great
IMG_1965.jpeg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
FYI
If looking for some oldie Corvettes, the Big Boy Toy auction has begun with auction deadline 4/27
See some C2s to C4s

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
To many chrome bumper corvette owners the 68-69 side Gills are the ultimate design. At the 1970 models unveiling many thought the side Grills were not as striking as the previous models side “gills”

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I must confess before I bought my C3, I hadn't really noticed the gill changes. I knew I just wanted a chrome bumper C3. Looking at them now, I'm glad I have the early gills as they look more seamlessly integrated into the body than the egg crates in Nassau's middle photo above. The actual egg crate section itself looks great, but IMHO is slightly ruined by the fact its a removable panel with gap lines all around it, instead of being seamlessly integrated like the top and bottom photos above in Nassau's post.

All that said, I must be kind of a hypocrite because the top photo (and my car) have the gill inserts, so no longer are "seamless" :ROFLMAO:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Agreed that both the 1968-69 and the 1973-79 side gills/scoops “flow” in the fenders as opposed to the panel of the 1970-72 models.
I have always liked the gill inserts of 1969 and immediately fitted them to my personal 69 when I had it. I like chrome/shiny bits so it was a no brainer for me. Yes, they do look like an add on, but to me they look good.

Roscobbc

IMHO GM finally 'nailed' the ultimate style generally with the '70 - '72 model Vettes......not just in terms of overall styling (and I do prefer the 'gills' over 'mesh') but also in terms of many other items which didn't appear on earlier years.......having said that the actual OEM finishing of the satin chrome effect with polished edges of the castings seems very variable and the fit IMHO is 'questionable' - inspect the image.....
1713786715993.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The mid years side “ gills” arrived in 1965 and looked pretty good. Blended into the body as opposed to a panel ( which in fact it was, but bonded a different way) carried over to 1966 without changes.
For the final year 1967 they were changed to smaller but more and again looked good. Many will say better.
IMG_1969.jpegIMG_1970.jpeg