Starting issue

mickn

CCCUK Member
Went to start my '73 a couple of days ago and encountered the following problem, anyone have any suggestions before I ring the auto electrician I've used before. Opened the door and courtesy lights came on, turned key and dashboard lights came on, turned key to start car and nothing, absolutely nothing. I'm guessing a problem between the battery and the starter but being completely non-mechanically minded thought I would ask. Car was running and starting perfectly before this.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Give the gear selector a wiggle. I had this happen to a couple of cars. Only happened every now and then. I wiggled the selector , tried again and they started. Never bothered to find out what the problem was tho.

mickn

CCCUK Member
Give the gear selector a wiggle. I had this happen to a couple of cars. Only happened every now and then. I wiggled the selector , tried again and they started. Never bothered to find out what the problem was tho.
Will try this tonight, hopefully a nice and inexpensive solution :)

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Could be a number of reasons as stated above. But I had the exact same scenario on my 78 auto, intermittently. Turned out to be a bad connection between the ignition key & the solenoid on the starter. Garage said it was in a block connector on the bulkhead, the wire was just touching & sometimes not. I also had the same on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, loose spade connector on the solenoid.

mickn

CCCUK Member
Thanks Nassau65, just tried it and the car started first turn of the key, how strange is that, how did you ever discover that? Thanks to everyone else btw for your replies.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks Nassau65, just tried it and the car started first turn of the key, how strange is that, how did you ever discover that? Thanks to everyone else btw for your replies.
There is a neutral cut out switch that stops you starting in gear. Common still on autos.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Glad it worked. Can’t remember how I first done it, probably by accident.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Interesting!
I sometimes get no reaction to the keyed start. My solutions include: shorting the starter power terminal to the solenoid terminal with a long screwdriver, big spark, then it starts; a tap on the starter motor with a hammer.
I believe my problem solutions cause the starter cog to retract from the flywheel ring. Perhaps I need a new motor/solenoid.