Trans fluid cooling

Lewis117

CCCUK Member
Hi all, I have a 95 C4, I've started drag racing her, but when doing qualifying you may have to do multiple runs in a short space of time

Obviously no air going through her when in the pits or staging lanes

So I've noticed the auto trans fluid can get up to 220+ at which point changing gear is a struggle

I was thinking of wiring up a little fan to just blast air onto the fluid reservoir, was wondering if anyone had any other advice for keeping the trans fluid cool

Thanks in advance

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Depends on what you're willing to spend

1. Swap to a dual row radiator as this will double the fluids volume flow and help reduce the temps of the tranny fluid flowing through the end caps

2. Swap to a higher flowing radiator cooling fans

3. Add an external cooler that is in series with the tranny hose to radiator, some styles also have its own cooling fan
Example

4. Replace the tranny fluid pan with one that holds more fluid so less heat buildup
Example

5. Swap out the coolant thermostat from the stock 195 F degree to like a 170 degree will then prevent temps over 200 deg

6. Choose a tranny fluid type to one that handles heat better

Lewis117

CCCUK Member
Depends on what you're willing to spend

1. Swap to a dual row radiator as this will double the fluids volume flow and help reduce the temps of the tranny fluid flowing through the end caps

2. Swap to a higher flowing radiator cooling fans

3. Add an external cooler that is in series with the tranny hose to radiator, some styles also have its own cooling fan
Example

4. Replace the tranny fluid pan with one that holds more fluid so less heat buildup
Example

5. Swap out the coolant thermostat from the stock 195 F degree to like a 170 degree will then prevent temps over 200 deg

6. Choose a tranny fluid type to one that handles heat better
Thanks for the help, will probably try better fluid and better fans and go from there 👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If not done in some time, it maybe a good time to change the internal tranny filter when changing fluid