Very good news regarding Cancer treatment today

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
A British Biopharmaceutical company [AVACTA] I've followed for many years have been treating 'end of life' patients that have terminal Cancers for over a year at several hospitals throughout the UK and sites in the USA have also been earmarked for more human trials. I thought I'd share this as let’s face it, most of us will know of friends or family that are affected by Cancer, both my parents passed away from Cancer.

Today they announced the trials had gone better than expected and will continue and escalate.

Most will be familiar with Chemotherapy and some will be aware of the horrendous side effects that mean some people with other (than Cancer) underlying health issues cannot receive Chemo such as heart failure, fitness, age and other illnesses. There are several (16 I believe) different Chemo drugs each targeting different types of Cancer and Doxorubicin is one of them and is referred to as the red devil due to its bright red appearance and toxicity to organs and especially the heart.

So, in Layman's terms what are they doing?

Avacta have taken Doxorubicin and installed a switch that renders the drug inert when it enters the patient where it then seeks out a protein found in tumours (FAP) where it then activates and concentrates on entering the tumour itself limiting the amount of free-flowing Chemo drug in the bloodstream and therefore into other organs.

About AVA6000 (from the Avacta Website)

AVA6000 is a novel form of doxorubicin that has been modified with Avacta's pre|CISION™ FAP-activated delivery platform to improve its safety and therapeutic index. AVA6000 has been designed to limit cell penetration of the drug- and therefore its cell killing effect- until it is specifically activated by fibroblast activation protein α (FAP) which is in high concentration in many solid tumours compared with healthy tissues. The resulting reduced exposure of healthy tissues to free doxorubicin has the potential to significantly increase its therapeutic index by reducing the incidence of adverse effects, including cardiotoxicity and myelosuppression.

And from today’s announcement:

Positive safety profile of AVA6000 continues in the fourth cohort

Analysis of six tumour biopsies confirms the tumour targeting potential of pre|CISIONTM technology

Avacta Group plc (AIM: AVCT), a life sciences company developing innovative, targeted oncology drugs and powerful diagnostics announces that AVA6000 continues to show a very favourable safety profile in the fourth dose cohort of the ALS-6000-101 dose escalation phase 1 clinical trial. Additionally, analysis of tumour biopsies obtained from six patients across several cohorts indicates that doxorubicin is being released within the tumour tissue confirming the tumour targeting potential of the pre|CISIONTM technology.

AVA6000 continues to be well tolerated by patients in cohort 4 with a marked reduction in the incidence and severity of the typical toxicities associated with the standard doxorubicin chemotherapy administration. Typical toxicities include alopecia, myelosuppression, nausea, vomiting, mucositis and cardiotoxicity. Importantly, even at the highest dosing levels in cohort 4, equivalent to more than double the normal dose of doxorubicin, the typical drug-related cardiotoxicity of doxorubicin was not observed.

A number of tumour biopsies obtained from patients in different cohorts have also been analysed in order to confirm the release of the active chemotherapy, doxorubicin, in the tumour tissue. This analysis shows that AVA6000 targets the release of doxorubicin to the tumour tissue at therapeutic levels which are much higher than the levels being detected in the bloodstream at the same timepoint.

I’ve posted this (in off topic) as while there are still other trials to be done – one being increasing the dosage to find the maximum tolerated dose a human can receive it is without doubt a major step forward in the treatment of this dreadful ailment. I personally know of three club members currently receiving chemo as unfortunately a large part of the club’s membership are the wrong side of 50.

Avacta’s website goes into great depth and is a fascinating read www.avacta.com

Stuart

Roscobbc

That is extremely good news for those of us perhaps heading towards and beyond the 'half century' mark. I know a number of prostate cancer sufferers have been seeing good results from hormone therapy as an alternative to more invasive treatments.

Roscobbc

You don’t have to be the wrong side of 50, I was 29.
Sorry bud.......I was thinking in terms of the male equivalent to breat cancer........prostate which seems to be a blight for many after middle age. Didn't know you'd been a victim.....and perhaps we now know how you were affected?

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
You don’t have to be the wrong side of 50, I was 29.
true and sorry to hear that but the point being that the older we get the more the odds increase and 50 is generally the age that the medical field tell us to start regular checks. I'll never get used to having my prostrate checked (I'm 58) but had it done 6 weeks ago getting out of the way for a bit.

Rich

Administrator
I am currently undergoing treatment for a rather advanced prostrate cancer which was diagnosed shortly after I stood down from Club Chairman. Unfortunately it has moved into other parts of my body. C'est la vie.
I would urge any of you in the risk profile to get a PSA test. The earlier it is detected, the better. I didn't show any symptoms, but it was there.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
At the NEC recently there were a couple of young lads handing out info and wristbands on Men & Prostrate Cancer that I spoke to at length and discussed the idea of an article in Vette News but they never did as they promised to send me a load of info. It would I think offer a good perspective and maybe push some reluctant members to get checked out hearing from real life experiences? Yes it's barbaric but better than the alternative..

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I am currently undergoing treatment for a rather advanced prostrate cancer which was diagnosed shortly after I stood down from Club Chairman. Unfortunately it has moved into other parts of my body. C'est la vie.
I would urge any of you in the risk profile to get a PSA test. The earlier it is detected, the better. I didn't show any symptoms, but it was there.
Ok so Rich was one of the three now it's out there.

Best of luck Rich

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
They've announced that they're not stopping at 4 cohorts (groups of patients) and will carry onto 5, 6 or however many to try and find the maximum tolerated dose which they hopefully never will so it could be worth enquiring if there are places left and if there are it would depend on the types of Cancer they are treating:

Avacta Therapeutics

Scale Space, White City
Imperial College Campus
58 Wood Lane
London
W12 7RZ

+44 (0)20 3871 9700

One thing we don't know due to patient confidentiality is how many of the original patients are still alive but from a podcast recorded with the CEO today it was very bullish. Don't think that would be the case if patients had been removed from the trials.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Nice to have a bit of positive news in contrast to the doom and gloom prevalent these days. As regards prostate cancer this is one form of the disease that can be treated very successfully if caught early enough. I was diagnosed with it about 15 years ago at the age of 65 largely by luck. There was, and I believe still is, no mandatory screening for it. I was lucky in that my then GP (a woman incidentally) insisted on regular PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) tests in men of my age and over time noted significant change. A single reading is not particularly indicative, it's the change in level that demands attention. For this reason I would urge any man over 50 to ask for a PSA blood test if only to establish a baseline for comparison with later readings. The PSA change prompted a biopsy which proved positive and I was given the options of surgery to remove the gland or to have the tumors treated with radiation. I opted for the latter and the programme of radiotherapy involved daily doses of radiation at hospital as an outpatient over a period of eight weeks. After completing the treatment my PSA was taken again (it had now dropped to almost zero) and it's been monitored with six monthly blood tests ever since. So far, so good. A single test is not a very accurate indication as to whether you have cancer or not; in fact in the trade it's called the 'Promotes Stress and Anxiety' procedure, which is why a regular monitoring of PSA level is critical in ensuring early diagnosis and the best chance of successful treatment. The fact that we now have a less invasive treatment option on the horizon must be very good news.

PS. So sorry to hear that you were not as lucky as I Rich in getting an early diagnosis.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
antijam, good to hear of a positive outcome of which these days there are more and more thankfully. I have regular blood work as I'm on heart failure meds and my PSA came back fine but I did ask if the finger job was really necessary and she (this part is essential!) confirmed it was still the best way to check for any enlargement of the prostrate. Does that ring true with you?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Rich, I’m very sorry to hear this, I hope your treatment goes well and wish you a speedy recovery.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
true and sorry to hear that but the point being that the older we get the more the odds increase and 50 is generally the age that the medical field tell us to start regular checks. I'll never get used to having my prostrate checked (I'm 58) but had it done 6 weeks ago getting out of the way for a bit.
Sorry wasn’t a knock at your post but a warning if there’s something wrong get it checked out whatever your age. I’ll edit my post.

Last edited:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Sorry bud.......I was thinking in terms of the male equivalent to breat cancer........prostate which seems to be a blight for many after middle age. Didn't know you'd been a victim.....and perhaps we now know how you were affected?
As above. No need to apologise. Im sorry you took my post the wrong way.

Roscobbc

OK, here goes - my story (and its car related). I wanted to do something in the Vette engine bay. Can't recall what it was - I needed to get right over the top of the open carb, so perhaps changing an idle bleed jet........
Anyway I opened the hood and using a low stepladder carefully (but fooloishly) kneeled on the passenger side fender on both knees and leant over the engine.
A freshly waxed car meant that I slipped and fell on the fender.......one leg inside the engine bay......the other outside the car.......and yes, it was a 'crushed nuts' moment.
Later in the day (and for a few days later) I was passing pink urine............went to the doctor and was told it will pass in a day or so (and it did) but doctor (female) decided to check me out (so yes, the single digit insertion via my 'waste pipe').
The prostate was hard and as a matter of course doctor sent me to have a biopsy...... which came back negative.
Roll on a year and as a matter of routine the doctor called me back in and send me for another final biopsy. This one came back positive - two tiny tumours had appeared in the last year.
I was 58 then and given three options. A. Simply monitor the situation every three months. B. Inplanting radioactive pellets in to my lower body to neutralise the tumours (couldn't have that as I had previously had two hernia ops' where nylon mesh had been inserted in my groin area to encase the hernia repair (preventing surgical access to the prostate). C. Radical surgery. I decided to undergo that to be 100% certain of 'killing' the tumours.
For the same reason as above it had to be operated 'old school' rather than modern low scarring 'keyhole' surgery.
My PSA level (which had never ever been very high or indicative of an issue) zero'd after the operation and has remained at zero ever since. And yes I'm still here!
The thing that etched itself indelibly in my mind was attending prostate clinics and being one of the youngest 'old boys' there.
All of the other patients were there for regular weekly or monthly radiation treatments to try and address various body cancers. But not prostate cancer. Yes they had previously suffered from that......but operated on and probably removed several years prior.
No, they were there having treatment for other cancers caused by the infection spread around their bodies from un-diagnosed prostate cancer.
And these guys (many who were 60, 70 years of age and older) would suffer other cancers for the rest of their lives due to possibly ignoring early warning signs........some wouldn't have ever made it to the clinics...........so fella's - if not for yourselves - for your familes and loved ones ask your doctor to stick a digit up your
'arris - it might just save your life!