What have you done today ?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Good in some ways, but if a few of you are going to a show with stuff, nothing beats a full size convertible like a Caprice. Room for a least 6 adults and all their gear in the boot.

Roscobbc

Good in some ways, but if a few of you are going to a show with stuff, nothing beats a full size convertible like a Caprice. Room for a least 6 adults and all their gear in the boot.
Occupant safety is a big deal nowadays I know......but how do families with, say more than six children travel....so mum and dad up front, three ankle snappers in rear seat and then (if an MPV 7 seater) two in rearmost fold-out seats
In the 'good old days' with a full size Yank station wagon it was three up front on bench seat, three more behind (all with seat belts)......then there could be either a single fold-up, rear facing bench seat suitable for two kids in the rear......or even two fold up seats lengthwise seating two lots of 2 kids. So a real 10 seater, yet not a minibus!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My dad used to collect our whole football team from the game in a yank estate ( whatever he had at the time) my friends liked the Oldsmobile vista cruiser with the glass roof panels. Soo cool back then. We just all piled in, dogs and all.
No safety issues in those days. Once all in, off we went home to various houses, one by one the car emptied out. Great memories.

antijam

CCCUK Member
People never cease to be amazed at how little practical accommodation the C3 provides. Spotting the alarm switch on the rear of the '71 and assuming it to be the boot (trunk) release, interested parties at a recent show were saying "Must be plenty of space for luggage then?" Errrr ....No!

P1370172.JPG

While it can hardly be called a people carrier, my other fibreglass bodied, V8 engined, fully disc braked sports car knocks spots off the 'Vette for practicality.

P1210662.JPG

In earlier times it would comfortably transport , in addition to me and my wife, our two young daughters in child seats in the back (this was before they grew legs of course) and two large dogs, one in the large passenger footwell and the other sitting happily on the transmission tunnel. The necessary luggage for extended holidays was easily accommodated in the capacious boot....

P1210687.JPG

When driven with enthusiasm in the UK the 'Vette is really only a 'monoposto' , anyone in the passenger seat usually being in a state of frozen terror at the proximity of oncoming traffic. Still, as has been pointed out, this may be an advantage. ;)

Roscobbc

Not much room in the back of a C3 - rubbish.....(It's just not suitable for air breathing creatures) There is the storage space for the rear window. Containers of oil, ps fluid, coolant and brake fluid plus jump leads all share space in rear underfloor cubby hole. Centre one keeps odds and ends perhaps needed during a trip. Main storage area is large enough to store T roofs in their padded soft suitcase, a mounted fire extinguisher🧯, socket set, screwdriver set and toolbox. And then we have the passenger seat and it's related footwell for anything else you might want to carry. What's that you say? "The wife"....yes theoretically I suppose 🆗

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I have always wondered why the mid year C2 convertibles never had a boot. . ( trunk) Especially as the 1961 and 62 models which have a similar rear end had decent boots ( trunks)
On C3’s I do like a luggage rack. To me it looks good, and offers some additional storage. On 1968/1973 models it also offers more chrome to match the bumpers.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Dads favourites were Chevrolet Impalas. Now your talking boots ( trunks) they would take everything you had and more.

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Visited the Sussex region today at a breakfast meeting, great turnout, good to meet friends old and new :)
Great job Gary and Mel for organising.FB_IMG_1715444546574.jpgFB_IMG_1715444560882.jpgFB_IMG_1715444579027.jpgFB_IMG_1715444553396.jpgFB_IMG_1715444585416.jpgFB_IMG_1715444593046.jpgFB_IMG_1715444573280.jpgFB_IMG_1715444567469.jpg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I have about 200 Franklin mint and Danbury mint 1:24 corvettes. I found 1:24 to be easier to display than the 1:18.
Not sure what the plan is yet. Three display cabinets included but I've built benches through the garage that won't accommodate the cabinets and a big job to cut them down to fit. Never planned on a toy collection but Rich did me a stella deal and it keeps them all together at least. It'll be like Christmas unpacking them tomorrow. 200 🤯

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I know people who just keep them displayed in their boxes. The obvious problem is dust. It really does get in everywhere. Periodically dusting them helps, problem with the Danbury/Franklin 1:24ths is they are so detailed and delicate you have to be soo very careful.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Had a great day in glorious sunshine at the Daventry Festival of Motoring . There were 7 Corvettes at the show , 5 of which were CCCUK members . The pale blue C5 was an awesome 800 bhp supercharged job who`s owner only lived a few mile up the road from Daventry so I did my best to talk him into joining the club . DSC_4120.JPGDSC_4119.JPGDSC_4117.JPGDSC_4116.JPGDSC_4115.JPGDSC_4123.JPGDSC_4126.JPGDSC_4132.JPGDSC_4144.JPGQuite an array of other Americana too included an AMX that you rarely see in the UK . It had actively been rallied too and was complete with mucky mud flaps !! It was great to soak up the very warm sun and catch up with friends . BBNC Region Member Rodney Joffe ( RJ ) eschewed bringing either his Big Block C2 or his C8 and arrived in his road legal Lola that has a Corvette LS 1 engine and his wife Miranda drove their Porche GT3 and were accompanied by their friend in his Gulf Liveried Ford GT40 . The Corvettes drew lots of admiring looks and comments from Joe Public with many a photo shoot opportunity when I invited kids and mums and dads to sit in the C3 . It`s all part of the fun :D . RJ seemed permanently awash with crowds of visitors s being allowed to climb in the cramped cockpit of his Lola and occasionally firing up the mighty V8 to the delight of all .

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Went to a C&C this morning. Too many ricers so won't be back but some cool trucks

Attachments

• 20240511_102137.jpg
    20240511_102137.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 6

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I know people who just keep them displayed in their boxes. The obvious problem is dust. It really does get in everywhere. Periodically dusting them helps, problem with the Danbury/Franklin 1:24ths is they are so detailed and delicate you have to be soo very careful.
Chuffed to bits with them

Attachments

• 20240512_133712.jpg
    20240512_133712.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 6

antijam

CCCUK Member
Took in the South West Classic Car Club meet at Hanley Farm Shop just outside Chepstow today. The good weather produced a bumper turnout with Classic Americana well represented although not a great 'Vette turnout. Interestingly C8's outnumbered C3's - I counted four, three of them in this pic........

P1030338.JPG
...and a lone C7.....

P1030340.JPG

Only two C3's, my '71 Vert and a '74 T-top....

P1030339-001.JPG

...and the pièce de résistance.....

P1030344.JPG

....a (replica) GT40. :love:

A nice day, although the weather was so warm the car vapour locked a couple of times on the way home. A short rest with the 'lid' up soon brought it back to life.:)