Wheel blocks

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I saw these blocks someone in the states had made . Handy to raise the vette up on . Gives another 20cm to work underneath but still on its wheels . Good for getting under for cleaning and checking trans and diff fluids etc. done one but need more wood for the others. Can then add axle stands if need to turn wheels bolts etc to remove prop. They are big enough to fit a bottle jack on to level drive shafts while adjusting park brake too. 90E50F4B-A4D3-4004-A4CE-741F0DE6DFCD.pngF3C16CFE-0BA8-4E0B-8771-D00B3FB66DE8.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have been toying with the idea of making some myself for a while . Maybe time to pull my finger out and get on with it .

antijam

CCCUK Member
Some years ago I made a wooden trolley from 2"x4" timber to move a car body around during restoration....

P1050648-001.JPG

With the resto completed I chopped up the trolley to make cribbing blocks. These were made in three layers......

P1370866.JPG

The top and bottom assembled together give a 7" height and with the middle layer inserted the height is 11".

P1370868.JPG

Assembled the layers are fully interlocked to prevent any movement when supporting the car. Jacking to get wheels up to a foot off the ground with the suspension dropped requires a longer stroke jack than I have so the split levels allow the jacking to be done in two stages if necessary. Cribs are particularly useful when you need to work on suspension in the fully loaded condition - tightening up nuts and bolts after replacing parts for example.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Some years ago I made a wooden trolley from 2"x4" timber to move a car body around during restoration....

View attachment 20746

With the resto completed I chopped up the trolley to make cribbing blocks. These were made in three layers......

View attachment 20744

The top and bottom assembled together give a 7" height and with the middle layer inserted the height is 11".

View attachment 20745

Assembled the layers are fully interlocked to prevent any movement when supporting the car. Jacking to get wheels up to a foot off the ground with the suspension dropped requires a longer stroke jack than I have so the split levels allow the jacking to be done in two stages if necessary. Cribs are particularly useful when you need to work on suspension in the fully loaded condition - tightening up nuts and bolts after replacing parts for example.
Nice job, I like the 3rd layer . May add them . On another point , the daimler dart , some love them but I always wondered , being the sixties whether the stylist should have laid off the Wild Woodbines a bit more. 🤣🤣

antijam

CCCUK Member
On another point , the daimler dart , some love them but I always wondered , being the sixties whether the stylist should have laid off the Wild Woodbines a bit more. 🤣🤣
Certainly a Marmite car - not to everyone's taste. Sir William Lyons didn't think much of it either and when Jaguar bought Daimler in the '60's he redesigned the body as the SP252. It was actually the last body shape he designed personally.Capture.JPG
Underneath it was pretty much unchanged from the SP250 with the brilliant V8 engine retained but the interior was typical Jaguar of the period. The lines of the car are definitely better integrated but to my eyes it's a bit bland and reminiscent of many other sports cars of the era. It never got to production though as Jaguar had their hands full with the new E - type and didn't need any internal competiton - and the E - type was certainly the better car :love:.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Certainly a Marmite car - not to everyone's taste. Sir William Lyons didn't think much of it either and when Jaguar bought Daimler in the '60's he redesigned the body as the SP252. It was actually the last body shape he designed personally.View attachment 20752
Underneath it was pretty much unchanged from the SP250 with the brilliant V8 engine retained but the interior was typical Jaguar of the period. The lines of the car are definitely better integrated but to my eyes it's a bit bland and reminiscent of many other sports cars of the era. It never got to production though as Jaguar had their hands full with the new E - type and didn't need any internal competiton - and the E - type was certainly the better car :love:.
It looks like the love child of an illicit relationship between a Sunbeam Alpine ( rear wings ) and an MGB ( front end ) . As you said , the SP250 was definitely Marmite but I think like many things it mellowed with age .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Certainly a Marmite car - not to everyone's taste. Sir William Lyons didn't think much of it either and when Jaguar bought Daimler in the '60's he redesigned the body as the SP252. It was actually the last body shape he designed personally.View attachment 20752
had never seen one of those , a bit mgb meets alpine but definitely a big improvement. The 2.5 and4.5 daimler hemi engines were great as well . 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
It looks like the love child of an illicit relationship between a Sunbeam Alpine ( rear wings ) and an MGB ( front end ) . As you said , the SP250 was definitely Marmite but I think like many things it mellowed with age .
ha ha chuffs , I hadnt seen yr reference to the alpine and mgb before I posted the same 🤣not just me then 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Three V8 powered fibre glass fantasies in a row . :D Photo was taken in April 2017 on DSCF0178.JPGa fun rally I organised through the Cotswolds . My C3 , my sadly now departed friend Tony`s immaculate SP250 and another mates stunning and lairy big block Cobra posing by Englands tallest May Pole at Welford on Avon in Warwickshire.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Three V8 powered fibre glass fantasies in a row . :D Photo was taken in April 2017 on View attachment 20753a fun rally I organised through the Cotswolds . My C3 , my sadly now departed friend Tony`s immaculate SP250 and another mates stunning and lairy big block Cobra posing by Englands tallest May Pole at Welford on Avon in Warwickshire.
a thorn between two roses !👍🤣

antijam

CCCUK Member
a thorn between two roses !👍🤣
Here's a picture of my 'thorn' between my two 'roses' (although one is american heavy metal, not fibreglass.)

P1000321-001.JPG

They're all convertibles and all have their pluses and minuses, but here's an interesting thing. In the Daimler I used to take long continental holidays with my wife, our two young daughters and a large boot full of luggage. In the UK we'd do the same but now with two large dogs on board as well (one in the passenger footwell - which is huge - and the other sitting on the transmission tunnel with his ears flapping in the wind. This was of course in pre health and safety conscious days). These trips would have been totally impossible in the C3 - a car practically twice the size. Makes me realise that while the C3 is great to look at and a pleasure to drive it must be one of the most space inefficient cars ever made. :)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Can`t argue with that statement . :LOL: As for the SP250 , beauty is always in the eye of the beholder even if the front end looks like a catfishes nose !!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Can`t argue with that statement . :LOL: As for the SP250 , beauty is always in the eye of the beholder even if the front end looks like a catfishes nose !!
ha ha , I was going to say an anglia ran into the back of a monkfish. .
Here's a picture of my 'thorn' between my two 'roses' (although one is american heavy metal, not fibreglass.)

View attachment 20756

They're all convertibles and all have their pluses and minuses, but here's an interesting thing. In the Daimler I used to take long continental holidays with my wife, our two young daughters and a large boot full of luggage. In the UK we'd do the same but now with two large dogs on board as well (one in the passenger footwell - which is huge - and the other sitting on the transmission tunnel with his ears flapping in the wind. This was of course in pre health and safety conscious days). These trips would have been totally impossible in the C3 - a car practically twice the size. Makes me realise that while the C3 is great to look at and a pleasure to drive it must be one of the most space inefficient cars ever made. :)
you are right, and I bet the dart was pretty good on fuel as well . I remember in1983 taking my chevy C10 ex us army pick up from cornwall to herts for a wedding £96 quid in fuel , cant remember how much per gal it was back then but it was a dear trip . 😫💲👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I tried out the wooden cribbs under the beetle , I think I will add another layer just to give me plenty of room to work on cutting out the gbox crossmember and to manoeuvre box out.
The portable ramp is great as you can pick a vehicle up evenly supported and gently lower onto the cribs. . Workshop far from finished but at least useable, just doing discs and pads and tidying up underneath for mot on the beetle. Loving having my gear accessible so doing jobs are enjoyable. Boiler in situ in mrs mad4’s potting shed, just got to fit and plumb the rads into the vette and mez rooms before the autumn. 👍

Attachments

• A85DEBC4-986B-4DC3-93C1-90A192ABEFDB.jpeg
    A85DEBC4-986B-4DC3-93C1-90A192ABEFDB.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 92A35F95-1212-4B9A-A864-5DD4776E2551.jpeg
    92A35F95-1212-4B9A-A864-5DD4776E2551.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 16