Who is THAT driving a Corvette?

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
Looks like the famous Don Yenko (post #76) has escaped detection. Here he is limping his '63 back to the pits at Sebring in 1965....

1963ChevroletCorvette-DonYenko-1965Sebring12-Hour-Grand-Prix-limping-home.jpg

The following video is a brief history of Yenko Racing, Yenko Chevrolet and Yenko Specials. In the video, a reference is made to swapping in 427 blocks to Camaros, Chevelles, etc. General Motors had a 400 c.i. limit on everything other than Corvettes and full-sized-B-Body Chevrolets (Caprice, Impala, Belair, Biscayne). Given that the external block dimensions, and all of the bolt-up points on the 396 c.i. cars that he ordered in for his dealership were identical to the 427, he had his parts department order in a 427 and in a few hours, it was swapped in, leaving a 396 block to sell.

Due to adventurous dealerships like Yenko Chevrolet and Baldwin Chevrolet, enough public pressure was made to remove GM's 400 c.i. limit, and the game was 'officially' on! In my world, we call guys like Don Yenko and Joel Rosen (Baldwin Chevrolet/Motion Performance) hotrodders and visionaries.

1963ChevroletCorvette-Yenko-#6.jpg

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
Obviously, #84 is "I'll be back" Arnold Schwarzenegger. His '72, oddly, has a '73 front emblem.

Let's try this one...

1969ChevroletCorvette-.jpg

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
The Buzz Aldrin photo in post #92 above was taken in July 1969, one week before he left on Apollo 11 to step onto the SURFACE OF THE MOON, just after Neil Armstrong.

temp.jpg

1967ChevroletCorvette-NeilArmstrong.jpg

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
To wrap-up this thread, here's a couple that most everyone will know.

Steve McQueen (The Great Escape, Bullitt, The Thomas Crown Affair, etc.) in his 1966 427 Corvette coupe.

1966ChevroletCorvette-427-SteveMcQueen.jpg

THE MAN who single-handedly saved the Corvette from cancellation by General Motors in the mid-50s. NOTHING 'Corvette' since would have happened if Zora Arkus-Duntov hadn't worked his magic...not just on the development of the cars as the first Chief Engineer of Corvette, but on top corporate management who didn't understand the potential of what, to them, was just a nuisance cost item. What a guy!
1966ChevroletCorvette-427-coupe&Zora.jpg

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
Thanks for participating, everyone. It's interesting to note that, once their celebrity-status arrived, so many of them (many more than in this thread) couldn't wait to get their hands on a CHEVROLET CORVETTE.

If you have an interest in older Corvettes, their developers and their racers, stop by C1, C2 and C3 Technical for several threads that take a look back in time, way back. If a higher level of interest develops, we've only just scratched the surface so far. (y)

"Say goodnight, Gracie."

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Looks like the famous Don Yenko (post #76) has escaped detection. Here he is limping his '63 back to the pits at Sebring in 1965....

View attachment 2049

The following video is a brief history of Yenko Racing, Yenko Chevrolet and Yenko Specials. In the video, a reference is made to swapping in 427 blocks to Camaros, Chevelles, etc. General Motors had a 400 c.i. limit on everything other than Corvettes and full-sized-B-Body Chevrolets (Caprice, Impala, Belair, Biscayne). Given that the external block dimensions, and all of the bolt-up points on the 396 c.i. cars that he ordered in for his dealership were identical to the 427, he had his parts department order in a 427 and in a few hours, it was swapped in, leaving a 396 block to sell.

Due to adventurous dealerships like Yenko Chevrolet and Baldwin Chevrolet, enough public pressure was made to remove GM's 400 c.i. limit, and the game was 'officially' on! In my world, we call guys like Don Yenko and Joel Rosen (Baldwin Chevrolet/Motion Performance) hotrodders and visionaries.

View attachment 2050
On the Yenko 63 what are the two gold Pods / Vents one on the top of each back wing - for brake cooling ? they are already behind the brakes ??