Winter draws on.....

antijam

CCCUK Member
Which platers did you use? My front end shiny bits could do with being re-done too.
I use S&T Electroplate in Yate, just north of Bristol. They've done several jobs for me before on different cars, always with excellent results and at a reasonable price. They've successfully rechromed pot metal (Mazak) parts too, which is why I've given them the outer grille lamp housings too. With the 'close season' on Classics coming up (everybody wants re-chroming done over winter ready for next summer) their lead times are now 6 to 8 weeks, but I'm sure I'll find plenty to occupy me before the parts come back!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I use S&T Electroplate in Yate, just north of Bristol. They've done several jobs for me before on different cars, always with excellent results and at a reasonable price. They've successfully rechromed pot metal (Mazak) parts too, which is why I've given them the outer grille lamp housings too. With the 'close season' on Classics coming up (everybody wants re-chroming done over winter ready for next summer) their lead times are now 6 to 8 weeks, but I'm sure I'll find plenty to occupy me before the parts come back!
Heard great reports if their work and met kim at the stafford bike show. Can i askhow much for that pile of precious parts ?🫣

antijam

CCCUK Member
Heard great reports if their work and met kim at the stafford bike show. Can i askhow much for that pile of precious parts ?🫣
Just over Β£1100 including VAT. I could probably buy new bumper and underiders for not much more than the cost of rechroming, although not the side lamp grilles. I'm wary of repro parts though since the quality of plating on many items these days is very poor.

Roscobbc

Seems that even the very best repro bumpers under close examination with good lighting will show 'dressing' marks to the steels pre-plated surface that are still visible.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Good job getting someone who can do the pot metal front grilles as few will tackle them. Before fitting them back on apply protection to the backsides of the bumper and bumperettes. When fitting the front grilles and bumperettes leave all the bolts loose to help get everything aligned and close-fitting before snugging up

antijam

CCCUK Member
Just thinking, how are your rear bumpers? The newly chromed front trim might show the rear chrome up.

They're lovely.....

P1320099.JPG

.....it was their condition that me me realise I had to do the front! A PO must have either had them redone or fitted new ones - the finish is still almost flawless.:)(y)

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s always been a problem with chrome, the newly chromed pieces show the old/original pieces up, and of course your eyes will pick it up every time you look at the car.
Been there done that many many times over the years.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Just over Β£1100 including VAT. I could probably buy new bumper and underiders for not much more than the cost of rechroming, although not the side lamp grilles. I'm wary of repro parts though since the quality of plating on many items these days is very poor.
Wow! I think thats a great price, would love to see pics of the egg crates when they come back, would have mine and the under riders done, will tidy the whole front end up. I fitted a repro front bumper which was better than I expected and a reasonable fit Too. You will enjoy bolting that all back on , just think if it arrived on 24th dec ! πŸ€£πŸ‘a great present to yourself and an enjoyable day after boxing day πŸ‘

antijam

CCCUK Member
....and time to start tackling those "when I get round to it" jobs......:unsure:

So, it's off with the front end shiny bits and off to the platers today for re-shinying!

View attachment 24376

Got my shiny bits back from the platers and S&T have done their usual excellent job. Before refitting I need to repaint the non-shiny parts of the grille sections......

P1390036.JPG

Not to sure of the best way to address this. The lower 'apron' area is relatively easy to mask off and spray paint but masking the lattice bars is going to be trickier - they're stepped to give a 3D effect. I could spray from behind but it would be tricky to get adequate coverage on the undersides and I'd still have to clean the overspray off the 'steps'. My feeling is that it may be easiest to spray the apron but brush paint the lattice. Anybody got a tried and tested technique?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
One trick I have used is putting a thin coat of grease, oil, wife's face cream, etc. to areas not want paint on
Do the painting and then wash coating off

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Got my shiny bits back from the platers and S&T have done their usual excellent job. Before refitting I need to repaint the non-shiny parts of the grille sections......

View attachment 24882

Not to sure of the best way to address this. The lower 'apron' area is relatively easy to mask off and spray paint but masking the lattice bars is going to be trickier - they're stepped to give a 3D effect. I could spray from behind but it would be tricky to get adequate coverage on the undersides and I'd still have to clean the overspray off the 'steps'. My feeling is that it may be easiest to spray the apron but brush paint the lattice. Anybody got a tried and tested technique?

Paint the lattice in full then clean the paint off the chrome with a q tip lightly dipped in thinners. Great job getting them done as most won't touch them