Bushing ?

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Ok easy one i hope over the engine lark.

On my shopping list is suspension bushes. Now i see its a 50/50 on to go for poly or rubber. I will be getting Energy Hyperlfex bushes. Not s full kit though as its seems an idea and a good one to get certain joints Poly bushed and some in standard rubber.

Which bushes will they in the poly and rubber ?

As always all help and info much appreciated.

Waynio

Vetman

CCCUK Member

On my shopping list is suspension bushes. Now i see its a 50/50 on to go for poly or rubber. I will be getting Energy Hyperlfex bushes. Not s full kit though as its seems an idea and a good one to get certain joints Poly bushed and some in standard rubber.

Waynio
I have just watched a ‘CorvetteBen’ YouTube in which he advises very strongly to not use poly bushings. He had to re-rubber all the poly bushings on a 73 because they had disintegrated to nothing.

Reactions: Emc

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Thought polly bushes were prone to squeaking ?
I have just watched a ‘CorvetteBen’ YouTube in which he advises very strongly to not use poly bushings. He had to re-rubber all the poly bushings on a 73 because they had disintegrated to nothing.

I have never had the squeaking in the past from other cars. That was a god time ago though and in off road cars so maybe never heard it haha.

Yes i have seen the Corvette Ben videos. He didnt use Energy though...did he.

Biff.bailey

CCCUK Member
I did the trailing arms on my old sn95 mustang, and whilst it did improve the handling, it ruined the driving experience to all the squeaking......on my corvette, I changed to a set of tubular control arms, and there is no squeaking with the urethane bushes in them?.....I would honestly say though, unless you drive in a "spirited" fashion on a regular basis......GO FOR RUBBER Bushes.

Roscobbc

Talking to the MOT gut about the squeaking from the rear suspension of my 7000 mile (but 8 year old VW) and he said "have you noticed it get really bad after wet weather"? - and it does - he squirted some WD40 equivalent on the bushes - it shut it up for a few weeks..........

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Talking to the MOT gut about the squeaking from the rear suspension of my 7000 mile (but 8 year old VW) and he said "have you noticed it get really bad after wet weather"? - and it does - he squirted some WD40 equivalent on the bushes - it shut it up for a few weeks..........
I know poly bushes need to be lubricated so that answers that.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
How about these is a complete set ?

Or

Last edited:

Waynio

CCCUK Member
How about these is a complete set ?

Or

I found them a while ago but it seems poly is no good at all.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I found them a while ago but it seems poly is no good at all.

I see nothing in that ad that they are poly
specs do not say poly

Features​

• Hyper-Flex System Complete Bushing Kit
  • Black
  • Improves Handling And Control
  • Maintains Proper Caster And Camber Alignment
  • Greatly Reduces Wheel Hop On Quick Acceleration
  • Even Braking Control Is Improved
  • Better Suspension Stability
  • Made Of Superior Hyper-Flex Material
  • Dramatic Increase In Performance/Durability
  • Helps Vehicle Be In Control
  • Allows The Suspension To Function Properly
  • Hard Installation
  • Lifetime Warranty
  • Fits 1963-1982 Corvette C2 & C3

Description​

Performance-Enhancing Bushing Kit. The Hyper-Flex System Complete Bushing Kit is designed to dramatically improve the handling and control of your Corvette.
This kit maintains proper caster and camber alignment, reduces wheel hop during quick acceleration, and enhances braking control, providing better suspension stability and overall performance.

Construction and Appearance. Made from superior Hyper-Flex material, this bushing kit offers a significant increase in durability and performance compared to standard rubber bushings.
The black finish ensures a clean and professional look while allowing the suspension to function optimally.

Contact and ask if poly or not

Or click on CHAT on their website during the week and ask them live

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Personally I think there were some poor / cheap bushes that flooded the market in the past and probably still is, but if you purchase good quality components from a reputable supplier you should be ok.
I fitted a complete set of new bushes to my C4 over the last winter and have no squeaking.
I did a lot of research on brands and found Energy Suspension and Super Pro had the best reviews, I opted for Energy Suspension as it has a 7 year / 750k mile warranty.
The only "issue" I had was that I thought they didn't supply enough installation grease, so an additional 4 Oz pot was purchased so the bushes were well lubricated on installation.
It has certainly tightened up the handling and I have no squeaking.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Energy on my car in every suspension joint location and engine mounts, fitted over twelve years ago, some even longer. All bushes are still in excellent condition, no signs of wear, distortion or cracking. I’ve had some of the suspension apart in the last couple of years and the bushes still felt good.
Whilst ageing doesn’t appear to be a problem, I would add that my car is only doing hundreds of miles per year, not thousands so I couldn't comment on mileage longevity which is obviously an important factor (but won’t be for me).
Agree with Steve, important to buy branded parts and only from a reputable supplier to be sure you’re not buying inferior quality copies.

Last edited:

Waynio

CCCUK Member
I see nothing in that ad that they are poly
specs do not say poly

Features​

• Hyper-Flex System Complete Bushing Kit
  • Black
  • Improves Handling And Control
  • Maintains Proper Caster And Camber Alignment
  • Greatly Reduces Wheel Hop On Quick Acceleration
  • Even Braking Control Is Improved
  • Better Suspension Stability
  • Made Of Superior Hyper-Flex Material
  • Dramatic Increase In Performance/Durability
  • Helps Vehicle Be In Control
  • Allows The Suspension To Function Properly
  • Hard Installation
  • Lifetime Warranty
  • Fits 1963-1982 Corvette C2 & C3

Description​

Performance-Enhancing Bushing Kit. The Hyper-Flex System Complete Bushing Kit is designed to dramatically improve the handling and control of your Corvette.
This kit maintains proper caster and camber alignment, reduces wheel hop during quick acceleration, and enhances braking control, providing better suspension stability and overall performance.

Construction and Appearance. Made from superior Hyper-Flex material, this bushing kit offers a significant increase in durability and performance compared to standard rubber bushings.
The black finish ensures a clean and professional look while allowing the suspension to function optimally.

Contact and ask if poly or not

Or click on CHAT on their website during the week and ask them live
Hyper Flex is Polyurethane. Just there name for it.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Personally I think there were some poor / cheap bushes that flooded the market in the past and probably still is, but if you purchase good quality components from a reputable supplier you should be ok.
I fitted a complete set of new bushes to my C4 over the last winter and have no squeaking.
I did a lot of research on brands and found Energy Suspension and Super Pro had the best reviews, I opted for Energy Suspension as it has a 7 year / 750k mile warranty.
The only "issue" I had was that I thought they didn't supply enough installation grease, so an additional 4 Oz pot was purchased so the bushes were well lubricated on installation.
It has certainly tightened up the handling and I have no squeaking.
I remember you mentioning that before, well i think it was yourself as you mentioned the grease then.

I have not yet seen a review on problems with Energy Poly kits. I am thinking it could be the time when a lot of dodgy poly bushes were going about and has put a lot of folk off them.

Roscobbc

Before I upgraded from the stock 427 engine to the current 489 I frequently had what I thought were clutch judder issues. Gear selection was very clunky (a new Hurst shifter assembly seeming helped that problem) The gearbox had been supposedly overhauled by the previous owner. After purchase I investigate the underside of the car and wondered what the strange grey paste was surrounding the bolts holding the gearbox to the bellhousing. They were badly loose. Someone didn't tighten them when re-installing the gearbox......perhaps even why the previous owner sold the car (paid for a gearbox refurb and had the clutch judder issue). I obviously tightened the bolts and the judder issues went away.....(.almost!)..........
Move forward a few years and when 'pulling' the engine out (to install the replacement) I found the drivers side engine mount had 'separated', the rubber 'cushion' had split. OEM engine mounts (certainly on Vettes) have an interlock device so if the mount fails it will stop it opening-up with torque reaction and the engine riding-up and hitting the underside of the hood.
Foolishly perhaps I bought a new pair of 'ordinary' generic Chevy type engine mounts. On the very first test drive the driver side engine mount seperated 100 yards up the road.........I guess 600 or so ft/lbs torque didn't help.............cut forward to the subject in hand now........
I bought a pair of Energy engine mounts, so driver and passenger side. They don't have interlocks......not needed. Despite being far stiffer than the stock mounts there are zero adverse effects from using them........even 10 years on. No additional vibration, no judder. shifter precision and quality improved.......really very good products.

Mad4slalom

Well-known user

Waynio
Gavin Roe advised strongly against poly, this from a c3 expert with years of hands on experience with no axe to grind, just free , helpful advice. Good enough for me 👍👍

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Gavin Roe advised strongly against poly, this from a c3 expert with years of hands on experience with no axe to grind, just free , helpful advice. Good enough for me 👍👍
Yes it was Gavin and a couple advising against Poly bushes. Which makes it strange how many others have no problem with Energy bushes. I wonder if Energy Poly bushes had a bad spout of inferior quality.