C5 FRC Anyone ?

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Cannot understand why this has not sold yet, indeed very little interest, this has been and still is a really good C5,
Will be at Super Sunday at Goodwood on the 2nd June
I spoke with Adrian Dromey this week and he said nothing is selling. Fear of the election, economy and wars everywhere?

mickn

CCCUK Member
The paperboy in our road told me he loves C5 and C6s but I fear he has a lot of papers to deliver yet before he is in a position to buy one.

Roscobbc

I spoke with Adrian Dromey this week and he said nothing is selling. Fear of the election, economy and wars everywhere?
The term 'nothing is selling' is maybe a little ambiguous.......things certainly 'are' selling......not at the levels they once were perhaps......but didn't the classic car market become rather overheated?......some people would have bought into cars at prices that just can't be realised at the current time. No matter what the economic climate might be at any given time there will always be people who are unaffected, or in fact profiting from it.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Cannot understand why this has not sold yet, indeed very little interest, this has been and still is a really good C5,
Will be at Super Sunday at Goodwood on the 2nd June

How have you been marketing this?
Maybe need to gloss your ad up
GM code name "Billy Bob"

Only made for two years, so they are rare and were lighter than the coupe
The idea was to create a lighter weight and more performance-oriented model at a more attainable price.
Engineers achieved all of this by attaching a fixed fiberglass roof to a convertible body.
The resultant car shaved more than 90 pounds from the coupe while also improving rigidity by 12%.

The Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC) fell nicely into the slot for buyers who wanted a slight extra edge.

The FRC’s roofline wasn’t as slippery as the hatchback and thus limited the FRC’s top speed to just 170 mph, 5 less than the hatchback.
Zero-60 and quarter-mile times were 4.4 and 13.3 at 108 mph, respectively.

Buyers scooped up 4,031 Fixed Roof Coupes in 1999 (12 percent of 1999 sales) and 2,090 in 2000 (6.2 percent of 2000 sales).

The sales figures for the regular coupe and convertible alone were well above the 25,000 units-per-year management mandate:
33,270 for 1999 and 33,682 for 2000. So, the C5 was on solid ground as far as management was concerned.

The FRC was only available with a 6-speed manual transmission and the Z51 Performance Handling Package came standard, all for about $400 less than a base coupe and $6,800 less than the convertible on which it was based.

The model only accounted for 4,031 of the 33,270 Corvettes built for ’99 and each of them was missing several items that you could get on the other two C5 variants.
Base, non-power adjustable, black leather seats were the lone option and optional colors shrank to just five choices
Torch Red (1,245 produced), Arctic White (311 produced), Nassau Blue (the rarest at just 202 produced),
Black (1,227 produced), and Light Pewter (1,040 produced).

The hardtop was powered by the same 345 HP LS1 as the rest of the ‘Vette range, but its lighter weight allowed it to be slightly quicker. The sprint to 60 MPH took 4.7 seconds, and it could rip through a quarter mile in 13.3 seconds at around 108 MPH with a top end of 175 MPH.
These numbers were almost negligible compared to a base coupe, but the Corvette team’s insistence in building the FRC anyway was an important harbinger of their serious intentions towards world-class performance.

FRC.jpg

Last edited:

robbiew

CCCUK Member
thank you team ZR-1
So pretty much a Z06 for coupe money.
I did have an ad on pistonheads, for which there was no interest at all, I do have a club member who wants it, but he has to sell his 97 first !

I would be more than happy to keep this car, but getting in/out is becoming more painfull, on each outing.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
thank you team ZR-1
So pretty much a Z06 for coupe money.
I did have an ad on pistonheads, for which there was no interest at all, I do have a club member who wants it, but he has to sell his 97 first !

I would be more than happy to keep this car, but getting in/out is becoming more painfull
Haven't tried Ebay or UK Corvettes for sale on Facebook?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think the FRC is less popular than the standard coupe, so an even smaller market than for a “normal” corvette.
Just my opinion tho.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I suspect the comment above still applies?
"I spoke with Adrian Dromey this week and he said nothing is selling. Fear of the election, economy and wars everywhere?"
e.g There's a very low miles 2005 C6 on Autotrader now at <£20k thats been for sale for months.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The Billy Bob (FRC) was poorly GM marketed it
Was a fill in till the Z06 came out
Is a hard top roof, so the car has more rigid, so great for racing
add, it is lighter which makes it go faster

Waxers did not like it because did not have the hatch space like coupe did for their wazer junk in it for carshows

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think the opening rear glass rear hatch/window is a big plus. Most buyers loved it when introduced for the collector edition 1982 model corvette. Carried over to the all new C4 coupe for 1984. A big plus and probably a very good selling point when new.
The rear hatch opening up really transformed cars. My uncle got a new 1974 MK2 capri with the all new hatch. I thought it was a great invention. Made traditional boots seem “old hat”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
When I put my 1994 ZR-1 Corvette on a racing diet, I replaced the rear hatch glass with Lexan which weighted 19 pounds
Stock glass weighed 54 pounds
, so clear why the FRC did not have that hatch access

Look at the C5 Z06s, all they had was a rear trunk space to reduce weight and many Z06s were sold

Oh, want more weight loss ?,
I removed the passenger seat and that weighted 67 pounds

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
When I put my 1994 ZR-1 Corvette on a racing diet, I replaced the rear hatch glass with Lexan which weighted 19 pounds
Stock glass weighed 54 pounds
, so clear why the FRC did not have that hatch access

Look at the C5 Z06s, all they had was a rear trunk space to reduce weight and many Z06s were sold

Oh, want more weight loss ?,
I removed the passenger seat and that weighted 67 pounds
As one of our major supermarkets ( Tesco) said, “ every little helps” 😂😂

robbiew

CCCUK Member
Yes i think alot of people miss the point of the FRC, a racer for the road, like the Z06 which came along a year or so later, but at a premium price

Llewelyn

CCCUK Member
I'd recommend doing a YT video on it and then posting an ad which clearly states "video tour in description" or similar. Most buyers will be outside of your catchment area so if you can make a video which is a fair representation of the car they will really appreciate it. An added bonus is that any viewing simply becomes a "verification" that the video is factual which makes the buyer/seller dance much smoother!

Good luck with the sale - It looks a really nice car!

Side note, I've got a 99 automatic C5 convertible which I'll be selling soon - 70k miles ish - JDM car. Needs nothing. I'm hoping to get £10k for it.... 2-3 years ago it was probably a £14-15k car. It'll be interesting to see if it sells!