C8 Orange Engine Warning Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEscapist

Busy user
Hello everyone
I‘ma very happy owner of a 23 C8 convertible with very low miles.
l‘ve had a good selection of exotic sports cars but adore my C8 and think it’s amazing value and fin for the price.
My car only has around 2,500 mile and I just bought her from the previous owner a month ago and have just covered one long 600 mile journey and some short blasts.
I guess my only small disappointment is the high wind noise with roof off. I’d have thought with such a small opening they could have had the exoerienced more wind free.
Yesterday, after 15 mins of varied driving , when I put my foot down, I lost full power and the orange engine light right of the dials, came on. I drove back slowly and restarted a few times. Still on. An hour later, no. Ore orange light and full power again.
Has anyone else had the same / is this a known fault / any way of knowing what it is?
I’m showing down to 68% oil life remaining and all else quite normal. Engine temp around 85-95c.
Would be helpful if there was more info on the dash about the type of fault as orange engine/trans light doesn’t help much!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7544.jpeg
    IMG_7544.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7555.jpeg
    IMG_7555.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7556.jpeg
    IMG_7556.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 13

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I assume you're in the UK ?
Does Onstar function there ?
If it does, info on DTCs tripped should show up and give more info
if not, need either a DTC code reader or OBD-II scanner

Was the required service of the DCT done as per GM around 2,500 miles to replace DCT fluid and filter ?
Maybe reason for that service light ?

Or C8s know to get wacko DTCs that are false due to all the controllers on the on-board networks
or battery voltage down a bit

Do they allow in the UK for the OTA function to upload any new GM TSBs software that might need to be done
to maybe solve the issue you saw ?

Rich Steel

CCCUK Member
I assume you're in the UK ?
Does Onstar function there ?
If it does, info on DTCs tripped should show up and give more info
if not, need either a DTC code reader or OBD-II scanner

Was the required service of the DCT done as per GM around 2,500 miles to replace DCT fluid and filter ?
Maybe reason for that service light ?

Or C8s know to get wacko DTCs that are false due to all the controllers on the on-board networks
or battery voltage down a bit

Do they allow in the UK for the OTA function to upload any new GM TSBs software that might need to be done
to maybe solve the issue you saw ?
No Onstar or OTA updates in the UK. The required service is 7.5k miles...

Roscobbc

If a UK supplied vehicle......so supplied new (or used) by Ian Allen Motors shouldn't your first point of contact be them?

TheEscapist

Busy user
If a UK supplied vehicle......so supplied new (or used) by Ian Allen Motors shouldn't your first point of contact be them?
Yes, of course. I spoke to the service and sales depts but was jsut told to wait and see, with no comment on how common this might be, hence my question on here re low mileage warning lights from engine / transmission ;)

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Yes, of course. I spoke to the service and sales depts but was jsut told to wait and see, with no comment on how common this might be, hence my question on here re low mileage warning lights from engine / transmission ;)
"Wait and see" is a very strange response from a responsible dealer to a new owner with a check engine light on??

TheEscapist

Busy user
"Wait and see" is a very strange response from a responsible dealer to a new owner with a check engine light on??
Servive said, "wait and see. Drive agin a few times". That's what I'll do as engine light not on now. What would you do?

TheEscapist

Busy user
I did have a longish chat and adsked how common this was, but to be fair to them, the orange light copuld be any manner of minor issues too and could be a simple emission fault which will pass. So my ,ain concern was the fact I'm currently in France and so not close to IA but I have two dealers each around 2 hours away if need otherwsie I'll go to IA anyway in 10 days when I'm having a tracker fitted. Again, my post here was to see if anyone sle has had the same issue.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Hopefully its just a "rogue" software message thats come up that just needs clearing by IA when you get there, or at one of those French dealers? "Brink of Speed" had that on his in the US:
What does the handbook tell you? Dont drive the car or drive to dealer ASAP? Are you aware of the transmission recall on some C8s? Presumably if yours was included in that, Ian Allan woulld have been in touch already?

Last edited:

TheEscapist

Busy user
Hopefully its just a "rogue" software message thats come up that just needs clearing by IA when you get there, or at one of those French dealers? "Brink of Speed" had that on his in the US:
What does the handbook tell you? Dont drive the car or drive to dealer ASAP? Are you aware of the transmission recall on some C8s? Presumably if yours was included in that, Ian Allan woulld have been in touch already?
I'll ask Ian Allen tomorrow. They didn't mention it yesterday.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Need to look in the owner's manual
As difference if it is the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine" lights coming on as
if some problem or if needing some type of fluid or oil serviced

If no OnStar then really need to own a DTC code reader or a OBD-II scanner to see what the controllers
are saying is the issue

As mentioned weird DTCs trip on C8s and then go away so see if it happens again, or not

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I'll go to IA anyway in 10 days when I'm having a tracker fitted
Have you seen the C8 Corvette UK Facebook page that Craig at IA set up/administers? Owners have been talking about C8 insuance costs/best deals on there. Admiral "Gold" policies (multicar?) seem to offer the best rates for a C8 and do not require a Tracker to be fitted to the car from what I read? A friend of mine with two Camaros has just moved to them (no Trackers required).

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That Amazon website is in French, so I cannot read any of that

Looking at the Amazon US website

Look at this $50 US

This one has updated for 2024 and is a standalone, you simply plug into the diag port under the dash
It reads and allows clearing DTCs

Can scan and record engine data
Does different tests
Allows scanning, recording while driving and playback recordings
Unlimited free updates
Can connect to your printer to printout codes and data
Does on-board SMOG tests

Almost 11,000 buyers have left a review with a rating of 4.5 out of a 5.0

I have no idea how much depth this has for a C8, but it would support the DTCs
and being the software updates are free and unlimited it should add more functions in future

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I suggest first thing you do is hook it up to a P/C or cellphone to have it download and install the
newest software for it to better that it supports a C8

You can download the user's manual now and read up on how to use so ready to use it right off

Here is the page to get manual (select the model you have) MP69040

Roscobbc

I suggest first thing you do is hook it up to a P/C or cellphone to have it download and install the
newest software for it to better that it supports a C8

You can download the user's manual now and read up on how to use so ready to use it right off

Here is the page to get manual (select the model you have) MP69040

You're a really good bloke Jon!

Status
Not open for further replies.