"Barn Find" C2 big block vert auctioned last Saturday

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think that the pre auction was way way off at £25-30K, just a bit of auction hype.
There’s no substitute for cubic inches and a big block corvette will always be “top Dog”

SESH

CCCUK Member
I've got a 66 Big Block Convertible so this got my interest. Wonder where BB prices are going? Anyone got an idea of true values at the moment?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I've got a 66 Big Block Convertible so this got my interest. Wonder where BB prices are going? Anyone got an idea of true values at the moment?
Nice! Iconic car! Would love a C2 Big Block! a As you can see from their website, it was one of 20 abandoned/barn find (?) cars called the "Stoneacre Collection". When I see something like that, I always wonder how did that happen/someone died? No history file, but might look quite "presentable" after a clean up? Wonder how much work/expense needed on it? Depends on where you want to take it obviously?
Classic Car Auctions | The Christmas Sale 2023

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Why do auctioneers get things all wrong - L36? - if the car is what it's supposed to be - surely its an L72? and 425 hp.....the 450 hp sticker on the air filter would have just made it an early '66 car (with exactly the same internal spec' as the 425 hp mid/late engine ?)

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Why do auctioneers get things all wrong - L36? - if the car is what it's supposed to be - surely its an L72? and 425 hp.....the 450 hp sticker on the air filter would have just made it an early '66 car (with exactly the same internal spec' as the 425 hp mid/late engine ?)
Too "technical" for me, but was wondering why if it's a 1966 car, it has a "C" (1965) number plate?

SESH

CCCUK Member
My "66" Big Block is a 66 year model but according to VIN identification built in October 1965. Mine is an L72 450BHP.. Although mine is a D registration

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Cars built September onwards ( sometimes earlier in the 1960’s ) were classed as next years models and titled as such. So you would have say a 1966 model in October 1965. However it would be titled as a 1966 car so when imported to the UK , it documents would be for a 1966 car and registered as such on a D registration plate correct for 1966.

UK67

CCCUK Member
Only live 30 mins away so went to see it and maybe get a bargain:oops: The frame appeared solid and even the paint and chrome beneath all the bird poop looked good.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Only live 30 mins away so went to see it and maybe get a bargain:oops: The frame appeared solid and even the paint and chrome beneath all the bird poop looked good.
Seats/leather don't look bad either. How many miles on odometer? Just noticed the "Condition Report" "tab" last night in the details above (47/120) overall.

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Appears to be a 427/425 L72 but the VIN is too late to be one of the few that left the factory with 450 decals on the air cleaner. Limited pics but I would be looking into the tac as that is a low HP small block:

Black L72.PNG

My genuine L72

20230909_173001.jpg

Would like to see the engine pad stamp which should start with TO

Great buy if it is legit?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
1966 Corvette could be had with 4 engines, 2 were 327 CI and 2 were 427 CI
I attached below the 1966
GM engineering design specs in a 110-page PDF

66engines.jpg

Attachments

• 1966-Chevrolet-Corvette.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 2

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
The L36 390 HP 427 had the same 5500 RPM redline tach as the base 300 HP 327. I hadn't noticed until looking up the info just now that the L72 425 HP 427 has a higher redline tach, 6500 RPM, than the L79 327. Awesome!
Chris Sale
'64 Coupe

Roscobbc

So guy's 'n' 'gals does it look as though someone out there in Corvetteworld as gone and bought themselves a 'pup'? (not that any Vette could be described as a 'pup'..........lets just say they have unwittingly paid far too much for something that has been mis-represented?)

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
So guy's 'n' 'gals does it look as though someone out there in Corvetteworld as gone and bought themselves a 'pup'? (not that any Vette could be described as a 'pup'..........lets just say they have unwittingly paid far too much for something that has been mis-represented?)
Possibly Ross but if it is numbers matching it's still a good price clearly depending on what needs to be done to get it show ready if that is the new owners intention. There's a 1966 427/425 convertible, also black with side pipes for sale in Europe that I can't just locate again with a list price of £150k Sterling which I don't think is as nice as mine or Sesh's20230921_171444.jpg

Last edited: