"Barn Find" C2 big block vert auctioned last Saturday

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
So guy's 'n' 'gals does it look as though someone out there in Corvetteworld as gone and bought themselves a 'pup'? (not that any Vette could be described as a 'pup'..........lets just say they have unwittingly paid far too much for something that has been mis-represented?)
See that this is being discussed on the Facebook page, where someone who viewed it is saying its a 390bhp/L36. I saw the ad for this car several weeks ago. The ad details then were the same as above, saying its a "427ci L36 Big Block offering 425bhp". So from what you expert guys are saying, including that it has taco from a L36, sounds like a L36 to me with a 450bhp air cleaner on it (is that possible?) presuming it is matching numbers? Is it possible that a previous owner, upgraded the engine from L36 to L72 spec? Presumably not, looking at the engine differences between the two above? How does that sound?

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
See that this is being discussed on the Facebook page, where someone who viewed it is saying its a 390bhp/L36. I saw the ad for this car several weeks ago. The ad details then were the same as above, saying its a "427ci L36 Big Block offering 425bhp". So from what you expert guys are saying, including that it has taco from a L36, sounds like a L36 to me with a 450bhp air cleaner on it (is that possible?) presuming it is matching numbers? Is it possible that a previous owner, upgraded the engine from L36 to L72 spec? Presumably not, looking at the engine differences between the two above? How does that sound?
don't even have to change the air cleaner just the decal which are all freely available..

Roscobbc

L36 is oval port heads - 2 bolt mains. L72 is 4 bolt, rectangular port heads and plenty more?

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
Yes plenty more! The L72 has solid lifters, stronger crank and pistons, aluminium intake manifold, Transistor Ignition, etc. A different animal!

Cris Sale
'64 Coupe

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Yes plenty more! The L72 has solid lifters, stronger crank and pistons, aluminium intake manifold, Transistor Ignition, etc. A different animal!

Cris Sale
'64 Coupe
At the NEC last month I had an American chap approach me and said - nice to see a Widow maker here in Blighty o_O It is a beast...

Chris, if you're going to 'sign off' at least spell your name correct :LOL:

See you soon

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
On the subject of HiPo BBC powered Vettes.......anyone driven a 'real' C2 or C3 L88?
Yes, a friend had a C3 . Drove it a few times. Bloody horrible. All it wanted to do was go forward, and you found yourself pulling on the steering wheel trying to hold it back.
He sold it for $150k back in the day. Made a very nice profit at the time. Wishes he had kept it tho now. Hindsight is a marvellous thing.

Roscobbc

Yes, a friend had a C3 . Drove it a few times. Bloody horrible. All it wanted to do was go forward, and you found yourself pulling on the steering wheel trying to hold it back.
He sold it for $150k back in the day. Made a very nice profit at the time. Wishes he had kept it tho now. Hindsight is a marvellous thing.
Strange isn't Nassau - you've driven an L88 - I wonder who else in the club has also driven one?
L88 versions of the C2 and C3 are truly legendary and perhaps even more a significant car than most would realise when considering that, arguably their best racing results were in the hands of smaller teams in the early 70's when several cars from differing teams were clocking in excess of 200 mph at Le Mans (one at 212 mph). Makes you wonder how many people would still hanker after one if they had been given a chance (like yourself).
When you see any drive-outs on Youtube in a street going L88 it is always on open roads - never town driving/heavy traffic scenario.

Roscobbc

Strange isn't Nassau - you've driven an L88 - I wonder who else in the club has also driven one?
L88 versions of the C2 and C3 are truly legendary and perhaps even more a significant car than most would realise when considering that, arguably their best racing results were in the hands of smaller teams in the early 70's when several cars from differing teams were clocking in excess of 200 mph at Le Mans (one at 212 mph). Makes you wonder how many people would still hanker after one if they had been given a chance (like yourself).
When you see any drive-outs on Youtube in a street going L88 it is always on open roads - never town driving/heavy traffic scenario.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
And that's they wern't sold to the general public just connected racers. Undrivable on the street I believe. Paul did ask if I wanted to drive the ZR2 but I declined. Not an L88 but the next one down

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
They were totally impractical for everyday use. It was a total growler and horrible to drive. Didn’t like sitting in traffic and always wanted to go forward.
Circuit racers only for this one.

Roscobbc

They were totally impractical for everyday use. It was a total growler and horrible to drive. Didn’t like sitting in traffic and always wanted to go forward.
Circuit racers only for this one.
When originally deciding (some 10/12 years ago) the 'spec etc of the new engine I intended having built to replace my '68's L36 427 with.......and further reading 'in between the lines' regarding the questionable street driveabity of an 'old school' L88 type of spec' I initially worked on the basis that if the stock GM M21 gearbox, driveline and rear end was capable of handling the reputed 550 or so HP of an L88 engine I'd be quite safe with a similar output for my new engine.
Cylinder head tech' for BBC Chevys has moved on so much from the 60's. The rectangular port heads of the L88 and HiPo engines were always the way to go for performance. More recent developments have seen aftermarket oval port heads giving equal power both in racing and for street use (and with improved low rpm port flow rates good street manners and relative economy are additional benefits)
So with the benefit of some increased engine capacity from a 'stroker' kit, a pair of Brodix oval port heads and a relatively mild hydraulic cam I believe that I have at least equalled the L88's power output but perhaps more importantly achieved it at much lower rpm.
In terms of street driveabilty, yes it can occasionally 'buck' a little when lightly transitioning on/off the gas pedal during street use (as will many 'cammed' engines) but 'pulls' very clean from 1150/1200 rpm with a torque 'envelope' from 1500 rpm thru' to 6000 rpm - and a very strong mid-range at 3500 rpm.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Bit like the old Chrysler 426ci Hemi motors. Pretty horrible for everyday town/city driving. The 440ci was much more manageable but the Hemi had the top dog position .