'Elevated' early C7 and C8 s/h prices

Roscobbc

Any noticed the increasing numbers of 'early' (so 2014 on.......) at perhaps silly prices considering they are getting on for 10 years old now. And the ultra low mileage RHD C8 also being sold at 'hiked prices?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Any noticed the increasing numbers of 'early' (so 2014 on.......) at perhaps silly prices considering they are getting on for 10 years old now. And the ultra low mileage RHD C8 also being sold at 'hiked prices?
As an "avid" Corvette ads reader Ross (Ebay/Pistonheads/Autotrader) no I haven't noticed an "increasing" number of "early" C7s for sale either privately or at dealers. As you know, you do see them occasionally at dealers who have never had/sold a C7 before at "chancer/daft" prices. Whats a silly price for an early C7? Very low miles/mint UK spec cars (only manuals for 2014/2015) have been "early" £40k for years. Ian Allan have a 2015 US spec manual car (19k miles) right now for £38k.

As to the UK/spec RHD C8s, yes there about 20 of them on Autotrader right now. Not sure if any of them are above their original list price from Ian Allan? Suspect some of them are cars bought by speculators who now want to get rid of them without making a "killing" and people who cant afford them with the increased interest rates? See on the Ian Allan website they have new cars in stock right now, including some described as "cancelled orders." They also have a list on there of cars coming in (cancelled orders?) that are available, so looks like the long waiting list for a new car has gone? Maybe not if you want to order one to your own detailed spec?

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Would not want to have like 2014-15 C7 M.Y
As they had LS2 engine, odd ball engine controller, older auto tranny and not many made with the new LS3 and newer designed auto tranny and eLSD transaxle

As to like 2020 C8, was countless screwups so many TSBs, first gen DCT also lots of problems
So if buying one, make sure all TSBs were done

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
As they had LS2 engine, odd ball engine controller, older auto tranny and not many made with the new LS3
You're talking C6 there zr1,'not C7? C7s had the LT1 engine from the start. Never had a prob with my 2007 LS2 C6 auto. Loved the car. That had the 6 speed paddle shift auto, not the old auto tranny (carried over from the C5?) that was only on 1st year 2005 C6s.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Sorry my screwup
Yes the LT1 for early C7s, which also had an oddball PCM and not many made worth in the beginning for anyone
to backward engineer the PCM to allow tuning it

But we see this every new Corvette gen like C4s 84-85 with crossfire and its odd ECM
C5s 97-98, less performance and it also had an oddball PCM, etc
C8 countless TSBs for 2020 MY

So to me would not touch early years of new Corvette gens

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
But we see this every new Corvette gen like C4s 84-85 with crossfire and its odd ECM
C5s 97-98, less performance and it also had an oddball PCM, etc
C8 countless TSBs for 2020 MY

So to me would not touch early years of new Corvette gens
Crossfire engine carried over from the C3 was only on/in the '1st production year' 84 C4, Tuned Port Injection from 1985. The 1985 TPI C4 being the first Vette that could "crack" 150 mph "out of the factory" for many years. Had my '85 C4 for 29 years and loved it/wish I still had it! Never let me down. And in all that time, apart from service items, only needed a replacement starter motor and heater matrix.

Roscobbc

Whats a silly price for an early C7? Very low miles/mint UK spec cars (only manuals for 2014/2015) have been "early" £40k for years. Ian Allan have a 2015 US spec manual car (19k miles) right now for £38k.
IAM's 2015 spec' car I would have thought is right on the 'button' in terms of price for an early manual C7.......(IMHO where prices should at least be starting from) - a little bit of wheel re-furbishing is all this one seems to need.....OK so white body isn't everyones taste, I seems a basic spec' and I would have preferred tan interior with the 8 speed auto transmission but could have really been tempted.........

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Yes, it seems weird marketing in some ways that early years of a new model have tended to have carry-over parts from the previous generation. I've no idea whether this is deliberate or whether the contracts with suppliers mean they need to sell through the committed numbers of engines or transmissions before moving on. I remember early C6 autos had a strengthened C5 transmission and early C7 autos had the 6-speed carried over from C6. I guess GM use versions of these engines and transmissions in a wide range of different vehicles so evolution of the driveline may inevitably be on a different time schedule from the vehicles they get put in.

Back in the day Lotus were infamous for using up old parts through model changes which led to cars being built with "in-between" specifications. Mind you, they seem to be still at it today trying to sell Evoras with the old Toyota engine/transmission while keeping customers waiting for the 4-pot Merc DCT set-up that was supposed to be the new way forward. I waited many years in hope of a "new Esprit" before changing direction and buying a Vette back in 1999. And I've still got the second one. I like that Corvettes are "different" in UK yet come with the benefits of thorough engineering (hopefully!) and mass production. I've had little trouble with Corvettes to date and long may that continue! On the other hand there are curiosities that leave you wondering "how did they let that happen?"

As for prices, I'm not surprised C7s are sought after. Last of the the front engine Vettes and a well resolved package. Seems to me the nearest competitor would be an F-type but their prices are generally falling out of bed at the moment. Two hundred V8s for sale on Autotrader at prices from £30k whereas I doubt you can get into a serious C7 for much under £45k. (That cheap Ian Allan car that's advertised as a manual .... isn't. If you look at the pictures closely you can see it's an early auto which must have the carried over 6-speed transmission and those red seats are a bit intense. Well, either that or it's a sequential manual with gears marked PRNDM.... )

Roscobbc

Yes, it seems weird marketing in some ways that early years of a new model have tended to have carry-over parts from the previous generation. I've no idea whether this is deliberate or whether the contracts with suppliers mean they need to sell through the committed numbers of engines or transmissions before moving on. I remember early C6 autos had a strengthened C5 transmission and early C7 autos had the 6-speed carried over from C6. I guess GM use versions of these engines and transmissions in a wide range of different vehicles so evolution of the driveline may inevitably be on a different time schedule from the vehicles they get put in.
As for prices, I'm not surprised C7s are sought after. Last of the the front engine Vettes and a well resolved package. Seems to me the nearest competitor would be an F-type but their prices are generally falling out of bed at the moment. Two hundred V8s for sale on Autotrader at prices from £30k whereas I doubt you can get into a serious C7 for much under £45k. (That cheap Ian Allan car that's advertised as a manual .... isn't. If you look at the pictures closely you can see it's an early auto which must have the carried over 6-speed transmission and those red seats are a bit intense. Well, either that or it's a sequential manual with gears marked PRNDM.... )
Its always been the same with Vettes - 'new' marques or the car in initial production stages seem to either 'use-up' existing stocks of components that are either 'on the shelf' or (as you 'intimate') commited from sub-contractors for contractural reasons.
As a 'new' buyer, arguably there is a perhaps degree of comfort for buyers weary of being the first users (and test guinea-pigs) for newly introduced tech.
My '68 despite a totally different body and interior to the vastly different looking C2 forerunner has much of it mechanical side carried-over from the '67 big block.......hence effectively being a one year only variant. So engine, transmission and ancillary engine components are as per '67 - even the radiator and its hoses are '67 carry over, despite the radial change in front-end proifile. Other items (like front grille mounting brackets) seemed to be almost hand fabricated.
I think that due to the significant differences in body structure and related components like side windows and removeable rear windows and other seemingly one year only parts a lot of the differences were due to GM effectively learning 'on the job' and really it shows they were way behind in offering a finalised product ready for series production for 1968. Fortunately the 'hands-on' type of production required on the Corvette production line would have (and presumably still is) ideal for making running changes quicker......unlike perhaps regular 'shoe-box' type of vehicles.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
IAM's 2015 spec' car I would have thought is right on the 'button' in terms of price for an early manual C7.......(IMHO where prices should at least be starting from) - a little bit of wheel re-furbishing is all this one seems to need.....OK so white body isn't everyones taste, I seems a basic spec' and I would have preferred tan interior with the 8 speed auto transmission but could have really been tempted.........
Not too bad a price considering its Ian Allan !!! "The ad doesn't tell you what spec it is 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT. Stingray above is right, looks to have the 2014/2015 6 speed auto (8 speed from 2016) I wouldn't buy it. You should be able to get a better/later/lower miles/8 speed auto car for a few grand more. Pleased to say that I sold my mint/low miles C6 and C7 in 2019 and 2022 to club members, at prices that were fair to both buyer and seller, avoiding a dealers "mark up" for flipping it! Get one Ross, they are fantastic cars, you wont regret it.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
As for prices, I'm not surprised C7s are sought after. Last of the the front engine Vettes and a well resolved package.
Shouldn't say it, but C8 is the first generation of Vettes where I just don't fancy one, for a variety of reasons. Much prefer the looks, including interior, of the C7. A couple of the club members I know feel the same way. Another of them is on his 2nd C8 after two C7s. He says C7 just as good a car and just as fast.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Few people in our region seem to regard them as a true Corvette and successor to previous marques of the car.......but more like something....., just different.....still GM, just not a hereditary Corvette as such.
Perhaps time will change views?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Its always been the same with Vettes - 'new' marques or the car in initial production stages seem to either 'use-up' existing stocks of components that are either 'on the shelf' or (as you 'intimate') commited from sub-contractors for contractural reasons.
As a 'new' buyer, arguably there is a perhaps degree of comfort for buyers weary of being the first users (and test guinea-pigs) for newly introduced tech.
My '68 despite a totally different body and interior to the vastly different looking C2 forerunner has much of it mechanical side carried-over from the '67 big block.......hence effectively being a one year only variant. So engine, transmission and ancillary engine components are as per '67 - even the radiator and its hoses are '67 carry over, despite the radial change in front-end proifile. Other items (like front grille mounting brackets) seemed to be almost hand fabricated.
I think that due to the significant differences in body structure and related components like side windows and removeable rear windows and other seemingly one year only parts a lot of the differences were due to GM effectively learning 'on the job' and really it shows they were way behind in offering a finalised product ready for series production for 1968. Fortunately the 'hands-on' type of production required on the Corvette production line would have (and presumably still is) ideal for making running changes quicker......unlike perhaps regular 'shoe-box' type of vehicles.

Pre C8 GM would do contracts with tier 2 suppliers for cheapest costs for GM
Thus meant more out-of-pocket money for GM plus all the costs for inventory, bookkeeping of it, etc
So reason lots of older gen went into next gen

With the new parts' policy, no inventory meant the C8 has very few parts of a C7

Now so bad is GM requires suppliers to daily supply parts to BGP for the amount of C8s built for that day
This is a big negative as now not having pats inventory you see with the C8 many times C8s cannot be completed
as lacking of parts not on hand.

Roscobbc

The process here in UK is (or was once) known as 'Just in time' - and used seeming by many manufacturers - idea being is that responsibity for getting all sub-contracted components and assemblies from 'outside' GM (or other 'house' brand OEM assembling end-product) rests on that particular supplier - with financial penalies if the sub-contractor fails to deliver within the allotted delivery 'window'.
So the subcontractor in turn has to make sure all raw materials and components sourced in turn by them need to be 100% on the ball. The vaguaries of carrier road or rail deliveries can have a disasterous effect on the sub-contractor is they, in-turn do not have some form of late delivery contract with the carrier company.
The old days of a OEM company 'hoarding' vital assemblies and components perhaps taking advantage of market price/supply fluctuation seem to be a thing of the past?

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Now so bad GM requires suppliers to daily supply parts to BGP for the amount of C8s built for that day
This is a big negative as now not having parts inventory you see with the C8 many times C8s cannot be completed as lacking of parts not on hand.
This might make you laugh but "back in the day" I had some involvement with Soviet/Russian car manufacture. They did everything on one site. Raw materials in at the front door and finished cars out of the back. But if ANYTHING was missing due to raw materials supply the whole thing ground to a halt. A classic example was rubber. How do I know this? Well, two things,
1) When visiting the Soviet Union it was a good idea to take your own bath plug. Hotels tended not to have them.
2) When Muscovites parked on the street they would remove their windscreen wipers so they didn't get nicked.

Just In Time? The joke was, and probably remains, Just Too Late. Nonetheless that's the reality of modern manufacturing. The thing that goes on at Bowling green might be more accurately described as "assembly"than "manufacturing" - but welcome to the modern world.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Jesus! Its frightening what people know about you these days, presumably through "cookies" on your computer and/or what you have searched on (CCCUK today)? Maybe I need to delete some cookies? Just looked at my Microsoft Bing Search page and this was displayed:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Jesus! Its frightening what people know about you these days, presumably through "cookies" on your computer and/or what you have searched on (CCCUK today)? Maybe I need to delete some cookies? Just looked at my Microsoft Bing Search page and this was displayed:

There are browser APPs that would prevent spy artists and their cookie crap

What am I missing in that Ad ?

Says new car, but that could be a new 2020 Stingray
If converting to dollars, that is almost $119,000 !

convert.jpg

lease.jpg

Pinhead

Regular user
I am watching the early C7 market with interest as I hope to buy one February/march time
The Ian Allen car looks very interesting and is probably the best deal out there at the moment
Some cars have been for sale a long time and thanks to posts on here I am aware of 2 with flood titles one car has been for sale about a year now its like the Ian Allen car white with red but with many more miles and a dubai import at £45k its overpriced for sure
I think this car came from scotland from a member that emigrated originally wrapped blue and for sale at £37k and probably bought by the current dealer for much less
Also a blue car in Doncaster been for sale since August at least maybe longer
Base car no z51 and grey interior it looks on the face of it a good car but most will be put off by the lack of certain options and at more money and miles than the 1 at Ian Allen you would have to really hate white to pick that up first
now some seem to sell quite quickly Like Tom falconers car
It had all the right options 7 speed and sub 10k milage advertised for £39995 I think Rob ert the club chair bought it

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
now some seem to sell quite quickly Like Tom falconers car
It had all the right options 7 speed and sub 10k milage advertised for £39995 I think Rob ert the club chair bought it
Never saw that one advertised? Seen photos of it? The grey one?. Has the headlight washers on it, so UK or Euro mainland spec car, although UAE spec cars have them too I think. Wouldn't buy a US car without Z51, or probably a Dubai/UAE car. How do you check that a Dubai/UAE car has not been damaged/totalled there? Is there a UAE equivalent of a CARFAX report for a US car?