'Elevated' early C7 and C8 s/h prices

Pinhead

Regular user
Never saw that one advertised? Seen photos of it? The grey one?. Has the headlight washers on it, so UK or Euro mainland spec car, although UAE spec cars have them too I think. Wouldn't buy a US car without Z51, or probably a Dubai/UAE car. How do you check that a Dubai/UAE car has not been damaged/totalled there? Is there a UAE equivalent of a CARFAX report for a US car?
I think it was on Facebook yes it was grey looked really nice car and Tom should know how to price them surly
As far a dubai/uae cars go there are some online tools you can use to check history some free and some paid
But even if you know a dubai car is clean you still reduce your future market when it's time to move it on as at a guess 50% of corvette buyers wouldn't even look at a dubai car so value has to be less

The market for higher end cars has started to collapse as the interest rate and depressed economy starts to take effect this will have an effect on corvette pricing next year
Maybe not as much as other marques with values often determined more by the exchange rate and prices in the US

The other thing I can see as C8s prices begin to become more normal with new cars at list and used taking a hit for being driven off the forecourt rather than attracting a premium just because its available without a wait this used to be normal and it is again now
This will make some additional C7s available used as people move up previously holding off because of the above list premium

Pinhead

Regular user
Another factor for the 2014-16 euro spec cars is VED they are in one of the top bands and approaching £700 a year now for a car that will hardly be used its quite a significant cost imports cost about half so may end up being more desirable

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
The other thing I can see as C8s prices begin to become more normal with new cars at list and used taking a hit for being driven off the forecourt rather than attracting a premium just because its available without a wait this used to be normal and it is again now
This will make some additional C7s available used as people move up previously holding off because of the above list premium
Ian Allan always has sold new C8s "at list" as far as I know? Not allowed to sell them at above list price? No-one I know has bought them from IA at above list. As I said above, not sure if any of the 22 Used/nearly new C8s on Autotrader right now are above the list price new? Wouldn't hold your breath waiting for C7s traded in for C8s at Ian Allan? New ones are going to non Vette owners and C7 owners who wanted one probably already have them? Phone Craig at Ian Allan and ask him/express an interest?

Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
The market for higher end cars has started to collapse as the interest rate and depressed economy starts to take effect this will have an effect on corvette pricing next year
Agree wth the 1st bit on mainstream motors, but not the 2nd bit re a nice used C7. There's always people around with the money/cash for an extremely rare car, especially a UK spec one.

Last edited:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Few people in our region seem to regard them as a true Corvette and successor to previous marques of the car.......but more like something....., just different.....still GM, just not a hereditary Corvette as such.
Perhaps time will change views?
…..not sure about that Ross!

My observation in our region - C8’s are so much more numerous than C7 or C6 - which we rarely see. We had five C8's turn up to one Club meet earlier in the year and have brought quite a lot of new members into the Club. These owners are mostly new to Corvette ownership (but not sports car or yank car ownership) so might not be comparing to previous generations. All are unanimously blown away with their cars for sure.
At a car show we might have a dozen cars of most generations but I watch the C8/s getting far more interest from the public than any other Vette.
They’re of course a radically different design to previous generations but every time I look at a C8 I immediately see the pointed shape of the C3's nose cone.

Pinhead

Regular user
Ian Allan always has sold new C8s "at list" as far as I know? Not allowed to sell them at above list price? No-one I know has bought them from IA at above list. As I said above, not sure if any of the 22 Used/nearly new C8s on Autotrader right now are above the list price new? Wouldn't hold your breath waiting for C7s traded in for C8s at Ian Allan? New ones are going to non Vette owners and C7 owners who wanted one probably already have them? Phone Craig at Ian Allan and ask him/express an interest?
Sorry I probably wasn't clear
What I meant was unless you got on the waiting list early you would have to pay over list to one of the many cars that were bought just to flip but now Ian Allen have a better stream of vehicles coming in and initial demand is satisfied paying over list is no longer a thing

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I'd be interested to know how the UK population of C7s is made up because the number of "official UK" cars sold here can't be very big. In the early days Bauer Millett couldn't get cars, the 8-speed auto was delayed getting to Europe and I'm not sure they ever flooded out of Ian Allan's showroom in big numbers.
Then there's "other European" spec cars that have made their way to UK.
US imports will be significant proportion, and then there's
Rest of World imports, such as from Japan and Middle East.

Off the top of my head I'd be surprised if at least half the cars in UK aren't imports of one sort or another.

Pinhead

Regular user
It would be interesting
I'd be interested to know how the UK population of C7s is made up because the number of "official UK" cars sold here can't be very big. In the early days Bauer Millett couldn't get cars, the 8-speed auto was delayed getting to Europe and I'm not sure they ever flooded out of Ian Allan's showroom in big numbers.
Then there's "other European" spec cars that have made their way to UK.
US imports will be significant proportion, and then there's
Rest of World imports, such as from Japan and Middle East.

Off the top of my head I'd be surprised if at least half the cars in UK aren't imports of one sort or another.
To know how many they are
Could well be more C7s than C8s at the moment but it won't stay like that rhd will put them in to hands that would have never considered them before

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
IAM's 2015 spec' car I would have thought is right on the 'button' in terms of price for an early manual C7.......(IMHO where prices should at least be starting from) - a little bit of wheel re-furbishing is all this one seems to need.....OK so white body isn't everyones taste, I seems a basic spec' and I would have preferred tan interior with the 8 speed auto transmission but could have really been tempted.........
Passed by Ian Allan this morn and spoke to Craig. It's a base spec LT1 car (not LT2 or LT3). Looks to have the Z51 package tho.

Last edited:

Stingray

CCCUK Member
It's a base spec LT1 car (not LT2 or LT3). Looks to have the Z51 package tho.
The brakes and spoiler look right for that and a check for dry sump would put it beyond doubt. I reckon that car's a decent buy for anyone who doesn't want to splash more cash. There's a risk it might be slow to move at re-sale time but if you don't overpay in the first place that's probably not a big deal. A truly "base" C7 would likely be more heavily punished in the market than this early Z51 6-speed auto.

If anyone takes it out for a drive watch out for a potential rattle from the front of the removable roof which could affect early cars. Replacement (improved) roof latches don't cost much in the US but they'd be pricey in UK.

Pinhead

Regular user
The brakes and spoiler look right for that and a check for dry sump would put it beyond doubt. I reckon that car's a decent buy for anyone who doesn't want to splash more cash. There's a risk it might be slow to move at re-sale time but if you don't overpay in the first place that's probably not a big deal. A truly "base" C7 would likely be more heavily punished in the market than this early Z51 6-speed auto.

If anyone takes it out for a drive watch out for a potential rattle from the front of the removable roof which could affect early cars. Replacement (improved) roof latches don't cost much in the US but they'd be pricey in UK.
So an non Z51 truly base spec 6 speed auto with similar miles to this would be more heavily punished I agree where would you see the price point for such a car ?

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Back in the day Z51 added about $3,000 to the cost of a new C7. Most of that gap is IMO likely to carry through to the used market.
At launch in 2014 a base car listed at about $52k whereas a fully loaded spec could add another $20k.
For practical purposes all Euro cars are fully loaded. Paint and auto were among few options.
Used prices will inevitably tend to reflect the usual factors of specification, mileage, overall condition and service history.

Pinhead

Regular user
Certainly Z51 will carry its original cost well it adds so much more than you can add afterwards for $3000 and I think for many buyers will be a must have
2lt trim brings a lot to the party and 3lt may actually be less desirable with the dash separation issue that it brings in years to come
And many rate mag ride not sure how much value that adds

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
This issue is related to leather dashboard delamination since the C7 still exists and worse on the C8s to include all areas in the cabin, including the doors
Be wise and not buy C7 or C8 with leather interior

As seen with C8s

delam-door.jpgdashdelam.jpgdashcrap.jpg

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Being sunshine/heat related it's presumably less likely in UK than in Florida or California - even if this is said to be the warmest Christmas on record... :)

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Is that
Being sunshine/heat related it's presumably less likely in UK than in Florida or California - even if this is said to be the warmest Christmas on record... :)
Just what I was going to ask. i.e. Is that a prob in hot US states? Has anyone on here (UK) come on to say they have a delaminating leather interior problem? No!

Last edited:

Pinhead

Regular user
Most likely sun and heat related but will no doubt just take longer to become an issue in the UK climate rather than not be an issue at all

Pinhead

Regular user
Just thought I better update this thread
So a few months ago I got everything in order and bought the white C7 we have been discussing from craig at Ian allen
Just to clarify it's definatly an import
2LT Trim
Z51
Clean carfax
Clean hpi
Has kerbed alloys
Scuff as could be seen in pics to lower front bumper probably from a kerb as that's the corner with the worst kerbed wheel
Otherwise really nice just over 19k miles
Needed tyres not worn out but old
Came with fresh mot and an oil change and a decent discount
I am a happy C7 owner
The only thing I feel I may have liked would have been carbon dash I do like the look and mag ride

20240203_145910.jpg