72 Corvette - Restoration Updates

TimP

CCCUK Member
Always interesting and entertaining to read another episode of your journey Tim. The detail in your magazine articles also add flesh to the jobs that you share on this thread. To realise that you are self taught in all of this is nothing short of amazing,
Plenty more episodes to come .....:) Many thanks for your kind words - which reminds me I ought to write another one. I find it really enjoyable and highly therapeutic to spend an hour or so in the workshop every day just fixing stuff - and my '72 has given me many opportunities for that :). It's also good that I'm not really under time pressures (part from getting older!) to get finished. Happy days.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Great work as usual Tim and loving the new Doggy (coming from a house full of 5 doggies!) Parts are still in a box in the Corvette cave. PM me your address and I'll get one of our vans to drop them off.
Many thanks - much appreciated. PM sent.

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Many thanks - much appreciated. PM sent.
Would love a look in mr cricket’s Corvette cave, to see his seemingly endless hoard of corvette goodies 🀣quite a few of us have benefitted from his supply,
Myself , a pr of LT 1 valve covers and numerous other bits , all at great prices and even a free nos tyre donated to make a clock. Thank you stuartπŸ‘ ps , still hunting for an LT1 or big block short hood .🀣 πŸ‘. Glad IMG_8576.jpegyou are helping move Tim’s 72 along too πŸ‘ what a great forum this is ! πŸ˜ƒπŸ™

TimP

CCCUK Member
This week has been a bit busy on other things but I did manage to finish the upper patch....
Body Reinf 63.jpg Body Reinf 64.jpg

I removed the top of the birdcage bow to get access to the welds for the T-Top longitudinal frame piece thingy. The bow has been acting as a collector for an awful lot of rust flakes - not surprising that there were so many holes.....
Body Reinf 65.jpg

Next: to complete the lower patch which attaches to the underside of the birdcage bow...
Body Reinf 66.jpg Body Reinf 67.jpg

... and then try it out for a welding dummy run although I probably won't use these weld clamps as the join is curved and the clamp is straight so the clamp pushes the pieces of metal further apart than they should.

Body Reinf 68.jpg

It all seems to be going together ok at the moment (famous last words) so the next job is to unpick the spot welds on the birdcage bow and construct a new section to replace the rusty bit..... A 700mm square of 2mm steel arrived earlier this week so I think I have everything required to do this.

I also need to start thinking about how this all goes back together as the positioning and sequencing of the puddle welds is going to be important as I don't want to do any welding up side down....(is it even possible?)

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
This week has been a bit busy on other things but I did manage to finish the upper patch....
View attachment 27765 View attachment 27766

I removed the top of the birdcage bow to get access to the welds for the T-Top longitudinal frame piece thingy. The bow has been acting as a collector for an awful lot of rust flakes - not surprising that there were so many holes.....
View attachment 27767

Next: to complete the lower patch which attaches to the underside of the birdcage bow...
View attachment 27768 View attachment 27769

... and then try it out for a welding dummy run although I probably won't use these weld clamps as the join is curved and the clamp is straight so the clamp pushes the pieces of metal further apart than they should.

View attachment 27770

It all seems to be going together ok at the moment (famous last words) so the next job is to unpick the spot welds on the birdcage bow and construct a new section to replace the rusty bit..... A 700mm square of 2mm steel arrived earlier this week so I think I have everything required to do this.

I also need to start thinking about how this all goes back together as the positioning and sequencing of the puddle welds is going to be important as I don't want to do any welding up side down....(is it even possible?)