What have you been up to today

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Took the 72 for an evening blast to test the hi beams after fitting the relay. All working properly thanks johng. 👍B25E6DCF-90F3-4BDE-B0B7-644B763FED46.jpeg93F60A4F-3745-4827-879B-274AC69BBF39.jpeg93F60A4F-3745-4827-879B-274AC69BBF39.jpeg

Roscobbc

UK spec' 5 3/4" headlamps do tend to have an seemingly abrupt 'dip' to the left hand side - my Xenon ones are much the same (being just one pair illuminated)

Andrew Gorrod

CCCUK Member
I have just upgraded my 68 to 4 H4 Units with relays and 200% brighter bulbs and they are fantastic. The only downside is the fibre optics isn't easy to pickup a light source.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
UK spec' 5 3/4" headlamps do tend to have an seemingly abrupt 'dip' to the left hand side - my Xenon ones are much the same (being just one pair illuminated)

That's nutty, light up the weeds but little of the road

There is a purpose of low and high beams, so cannot understand what they're thinking is

HL.jpg

Roscobbc

TBH if I was doing more cross country driving I might consider using dual filament Xenon bulbs in all 4 headlamps to put more light on the road......the sharp 'dip' pattern to the left probably looks more extreme than it actually is........it just means a greater use of main beam in urban environments. Not sure now owners with stock 37 watt tungsten bulbs/sealed beams cope with night driving.......perhaps leave the car at home?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Looking at the curb and the white lines, the road is slanted to the right
Maybe the right headlight was not working ?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Does that look like the lights are pointing too much to the left ?
I hadnt noticed that in the pic until you mentioned it, I hadnt noticed it whilst driving either but that is maybe because I was so pleased that the main beams were not flicking off / on . 🤣I will do another night drive and check again 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've fitted H4 LED bulbs in my Vette, but still haven't had chance to drive it in the dark yet.

In other news, been fitting a retro-fit 3-point seatbelt kit into my original lapbelt only Vette. So far driver's side all completely done, and passenger side "reel" fitted. PITA getting the old bolts out connecting to the mount plates for the reels. Had to give up and get local mechanic to do it for me. I'll fit the rest of the passenger side soon, but at the moment the original lapbelt is still active, so can go to car shows etc with the wife. Everything, even simple stuff, takes me ages and it'd be a PITA if the seatbelts weren't available for the upcoming show season.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Being an old fart of not inconsiderable avoirdupois these days, my 52 year old driver's seat has thrown in the towel after 4 years of supporting my bum and split along one of the stitching lines. Obviously a re-upholstering is required, but until I can get round to that ( seems like a good task for those dark winter days ) a temporary solution is to swap the driver's seat with the passenger,s. This has had very little use (my wife need drugging to get in the passenger seat) and is in much better condition.

The changeover was simple. Remove four screws holding each seat to the floor, move the complete seats from one side to the other and refit screws. The split is barely visible when the seat is not occupied (and completely invisible when it is)....

seat.JPG
.... so hopefully the ex-passenger seat will support me for a few months more! :)(y)

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I've fitted H4 LED bulbs in my Vette, but still haven't had chance to drive it in the dark yet.

In other news, been fitting a retro-fit 3-point seatbelt kit into my original lapbelt only Vette. So far driver's side all completely done, and passenger side "reel" fitted. PITA getting the old bolts out connecting to the mount plates for the reels. Had to give up and get local mechanic to do it for me. I'll fit the rest of the passenger side soon, but at the moment the original lapbelt is still active, so can go to car shows etc with the wife. Everything, even simple stuff, takes me ages and it'd be a PITA if the seatbelts weren't available for the upcoming show season.
Any flickering with the led’s? Did you have just lap belts and remove the under seat retractors and replace with one 3 point belt and one retractor on the rear inner arch?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Any flickering with the led’s? Did you have just lap belts and remove the under seat retractors and replace with one 3 point belt and one retractor on the rear inner arch?
Driver side LED flickered at the start, but that was down to a dodgy connection on the plug (bit rusty etc) when I moved the car a bit / made the popups move / jiggled the connector a bit. Static it was fine. Still not driven it at night to fully experience them.

As for my lap belts - the originals didn't have any retractors at all. We're talking a belt bolted to the car under the seat, that comes up between the seat and the door and then loop over the person to the belt buckle connector in between the seat and centre console. Said belt has a sliding adjuster on it to adjust to your size - much like the adjusters on a backpack, or some actual trouser belts.
But yes, the new 3 point belts have the retractor on original plates on the rear inner arches (which obviously were un-used previously). Driver side one was rusted out and just fell apart when trying to get the blanking bolt out, so replaced with the new one in the kit. Passenger side was all fine, so re-used it.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Driver side LED flickered at the start, but that was down to a dodgy connection on the plug (bit rusty etc) when I moved the car a bit / made the popups move / jiggled the connector a bit. Static it was fine. Still not driven it at night to fully experience them.

As for my lap belts - the originals didn't have any retractors at all. We're talking a belt bolted to the car under the seat, that comes up between the seat and the door and then loop over the person to the belt buckle connector in between the seat and centre console. Said belt has a sliding adjuster on it to adjust to your size - much like the adjusters on a backpack, or some actual trouser belts.
But yes, the new 3 point belts have the retractor on original plates on the rear inner arches (which obviously were un-used previously). Driver side one was rusted out and just fell apart when trying to get the blanking bolt out, so replaced with the new one in the kit. Passenger side was all fine, so re-used it.
Bet you cant wait to test the lights properly. I removed a 3 point belt that had been fitted and replaced with the period style four retractor system of separate lap and shoulder belts . Fiddly but I still love that “classic “ feel they give. .👍good work.