What have you been up to today

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Got the D type flatted and polished today, can be re united with it’s chassis tomorrow. Nice to do a bit of paintwork . A lot easier than body off on a vette , being only 6ft long helped πŸ€£πŸ‘5D1814DE-E02B-4E59-9757-551DBD4BB95C.jpeg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Got the D type flatted and polished today, can be re united with it’s chassis tomorrow. Nice to do a bit of paintwork . A lot easier than body off on a vette , being only 6ft long helped πŸ€£πŸ‘View attachment 23372
She is all back up and running, the villiers engine is sweet after a de coke and carb clean. There was no drive from the centrifugal clutch, turns out it is a powder clutch which we had never heard of, re filled with the correct iron powder that seems to charge the particles when it spins up and works like new now. Body back on and seat sympathetically re stuffed and re stitched., very pleased with the end result. 288D3506-8DA0-4A3E-AC2C-10F799F36E4E.jpeg288D3506-8DA0-4A3E-AC2C-10F799F36E4E.jpeg7E641BD3-16E0-4E67-9B09-C59078F32281.jpeg

Attachments

• 404759E5-7621-499A-99B7-B57F620A18C0.jpeg
    404759E5-7621-499A-99B7-B57F620A18C0.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 8

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
The other day I got the Corvette out of the garage to give it a wash for the upcoming show tomorrow. Nothing new there. BUT, I had an 11 year old boy come up and admire the car and started talking to me about classic cars. He was really into his cars, knew a lot about cars, older ones specifically, and was really polite too. Spent quite a while chatting whilst I washed the car. Only lives the other side of the estate from me too (I think, based upon loose things he said).

Quite nice to talk to a young petrolhead who is already planning the cars he wants, and was telling me about his older friends that can do welding and bodywork etc that he's enlisted to help him when he is older. It was also so nice to hear a young on NOT just raving about how "sick" the car is, how fast it is and how they'd drive the heck of out it etc. Really nice kid.

Later on, one of his friends came by too, again a polite kid, but not as chatty or into cars, but just thought the car looked nice and wanted to take photos of it etc.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
The other day I got the Corvette out of the garage to give it a wash for the upcoming show tomorrow. Nothing new there. BUT, I had an 11 year old boy come up and admire the car and started talking to me about classic cars. He was really into his cars, knew a lot about cars, older ones specifically, and was really polite too. Spent quite a while chatting whilst I washed the car. Only lives the other side of the estate from me too (I think, based upon loose things he said).

Quite nice to talk to a young petrolhead who is already planning the cars he wants, and was telling me about his older friends that can do welding and bodywork etc that he's enlisted to help him when he is older. It was also so nice to hear a young on NOT just raving about how "sick" the car is, how fast it is and how they'd drive the heck of out it etc. Really nice kid.

Later on, one of his friends came by too, again a polite kid, but not as chatty or into cars, but just thought the car looked nice and wanted to take photos of it etc.
That’s nice.
A similar thing happened to me, young lad ten or eleven perhaps came up to my car looking timid but interested . I was just about to tell him it was an old American car with a big engine, but straight off he asked if it was a small block or a big block!!!😳😳

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Been working on injuns today . Not car injuns or even red injuns , just railway injuns . :LOL: I will put an update on `Another Train of Thought` for all you steam buffs later .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
She is all back up and running, the villiers engine is sweet after a de coke and carb clean. There was no drive from the centrifugal clutch, turns out it is a powder clutch which we had never heard of, re filled with the correct iron powder that seems to charge the particles when it spins up and works like new now. Body back on and seat sympathetically re stuffed and re stitched., very pleased with the end result. View attachment 23425View attachment 23425View attachment 23426
D type out , van in for discs and pads all round.81B80542-8616-4538-87A3-590189840854.jpegB3899645-6B5E-4698-A56A-E153C64924A7.jpeg2AD8A35F-504C-40F7-B239-FE15AB045B85.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Love the Man Cave now it`s finished Mad4 . Is the D Type really for the grandchildren or for you to play with ? :unsure:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Love the Man Cave now it`s finished Mad4 . Is the D Type really for the grandchildren or for you to play with ? :unsure:
Nowherenear finished but getting better with each stage. Lovely to be able to do jobs with all my gear and tools accessible. The D type was a co project with a friend who got the motor running and tidied the chassis while I was doing the bodywork and painting it. It will be going into the next bonhams sale at Goodwood. πŸ‘BB21CCAF-6DA4-47F5-9620-E2E600DE34F8.jpeg

antijam

CCCUK Member
Nice to see you've got the Corvette banner on the wall to remind you what that strange car you've got is.;)

At my age I not only have trouble remembering what they are, but where to park them too......

P1030288-001.JPG

The baby 'D' type looks great - be interesting to know how well it does at Bonhams. My cousin had a real one back in the '60's. I don't know what he finally sold it for, but he's regretted it ever since! :(

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Mega bucks for a genuine D Type now . Even the rivet perfect repro`s are eye water prices !!

antijam

CCCUK Member
Being an old fart of not inconsiderable avoirdupois these days, my 52 year old driver's seat has thrown in the towel after 4 years of supporting my bum and split along one of the stitching lines. Obviously a re-upholstering is required, but until I can get round to that ( seems like a good task for those dark winter days ) a temporary solution is to swap the driver's seat with the passenger,s. This has had very little use (my wife need drugging to get in the passenger seat) and is in much better condition.

The changeover was simple. Remove four screws holding each seat to the floor, move the complete seats from one side to the other and refit screws. The split is barely visible when the seat is not occupied (and completely invisible when it is)....

View attachment 22980
.... so hopefully the ex-passenger seat will support me for a few months more! :)(y)
The seat swap is fine except that now I'm not sitting on it, the split in the old driver's seat keeps catching my eye. Mainly as a cosmetic improvement but also as a small comfort boost I've found a cushion that matches the seat profile almost exactly. In addition it complements the upholstery lines of the original pretty well too.

P1030301.JPG

As a stopgap until I reupholster the seats, it's an improvement. :)(y)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Wow,
I had forgotten back in those days how thin the seats were
compared to like electronic controlled seats of my C5 and no side bolsters

C5SportsSeatrepair8.jpg

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Sheesh. Just washed, polished and waxed the Vette. Of course, I picked the warmest day in weeks to do it, even in the shade. Dripping and knackered... πŸ˜“IMG_20230810_145818_054.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
With heat index here in Texas 120 F degrees daily, Sun UV rating very high
70 % plus humidity and zero wind, so feel lucky you can even be outside that long to do all that :-(