What have you done today

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Back in my happy place again for the week courtesy of Hemi V8 power ie , North Wales - the land blessed by the Gods and the Bards . This is the 7th time we have returned to this isolated early 19th century farm house surrounded by mountains and woodland with only a few cattle and sheep for neighbors . Total peace and quiet with only bird song and the babble of a mountain stream to break the silence . With the summit of Cadair Idris to the rear and the Rhinog mountains to the front , whats not to like ??
Spent the day on the beach at Shell Island which our special place having proposed to my better half there 30 years ago . She was daft enough to say " yes" :LOL:
Clear blue skies all day and the perfect clear vista of all the main peaks of Eryri ( Snowdonia) and the summit of Yr Wyddfa ( Snowdon ) not capped by clouds all day which is a rarity .

That does look like an amazing hideaway from modern life you’ve found there👍👍.
Have you done the”Torrent Walk” which can’t be far away from where you are?

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
That does look like an amazing hideaway from modern life you’ve found there👍👍.
Have you done the”Torrent Walk” which can’t be far away from where you are?
We are doing the Torrent Walk today as we are only couple miles from Dolgellau . The missis should cope with that without whinging !! I plan to go off on a solo yomp tomorrow up Waen Oer and along the ridge to Maes Glas . Weather forecast is fab all week so will probably climb up to Llyn Gadair half way up Cader Idris via Llyn Gwernan and the footpath trails from our cottage . (y)

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Back in my happy place again for the week courtesy of Hemi V8 power ie , North Wales - the land blessed by the Gods and the Bards . This is the 7th time we have returned to this isolated early 19th century farm house surrounded by mountains and woodland with only a few cattle and sheep for neighbors . Total peace and quiet with only bird song and the babble of a mountain stream to break the silence . With the summit of Cadair Idris to the rear and the Rhinog mountains to the front , whats not to like ??
Spent the day on the beach at Shell Island which our special place having proposed to my better half there 30 years ago . She was daft enough to say " yes" :LOL:
Clear blue skies all day and the perfect clear vista of all the main peaks of Eryri ( Snowdonia) and the summit of Yr Wyddfa ( Snowdon ) not capped by clouds all day which is a rarity .View attachment 27944View attachment 27945View attachment 27946View attachment 27947View attachment 27948View attachment 27949View attachment 27950View attachment 27952
Tranquil ,……. Until you turned up with a V8 ! 🤣🤣👍

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Here`s one for you today Forrest . Did the Torrent Walk near Brithdir today . Absolutely stunning and proper Celtic temperate rain forest in the permanently damp ravine of the Afon Clywedog . Ash , Elder , Birch , Beech and Oak trees plus rocks and boulders covered in ferns , moss and lichens and vines dangling from trees . It was as magical place . Wall to wall sunshine and barely a breath of wind all day . Who said it always rains in Wales ??? The Super Moon over the mountains is stunning tonight too . Like a huge search light illuminating an otherwise totally dark landscape as no light pollution up here . DSCF3545.JPGDSCF3544.JPGDSCF3543.JPGDSCF3542.JPGDSCF3535.JPGDSCF3533.JPG

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Here`s one for you today Forrest . Did the Torrent Walk near Brithdir today . Absolutely stunning and proper Celtic temperate rain forest in the permanently damp ravine of the Afon Clywedog . Ash , Elder , Birch , Beech and Oak trees plus rocks and boulders covered in ferns , moss and lichens and vines dangling from trees . It was as magical place . Wall to wall sunshine and barely a breath of wind all day . Who said it always rains in Wales ??? The Super Moon over the mountains is stunning tonight too . Like a huge search light illuminating an otherwise totally dark landscape as no light pollution up here .
Thanks Chuffer, you’ve reminded me what a fabulous walk that is with something different to see around every turn. We stayed nearby there in a farmhouse B&B a few years ago, and remember enjoying the Torrent Walk.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Did my very own `The Lakes ` tour today . Not the Cumbrian Lakes though , the Welsh Lakes . :LOL: An energetic 6 hour yomp from our holiday cottage through a woodland trail to the shores of Llyn Gwernan then across open countryside to the Pony Path route up to Cadair Idris . I diverted off this well worn trail to avoid the usual trek of walkers heading for the summit as I have traversed the ridge and climbed the summit Pen y Gadair ( 2928 feet ) three times in past years . A challenging scramble ensued across huge boulder fields formed by years of rock falls from the shear cliffs of Cyfrwy which is a sub peak of the Cadair Idris range . Breaching the crest a ridge to my second lake , Llyn y Gadair there was the magnificent view of the crystal clear waters that sit right up against the foot of the rock face up to Pen Y Gadair . Total silence and not living soul to be seen anywhere . The lake is natures own infinity pool as the end of the lake appears to stop at the brink of the mountainside with distant views across the valley to the Rhinog mountain range . A long and steady trek down the mountain brought me to the small lake of Llyn Cafr nesting nestled below the precipices of the Cadair range . Then a long trudge down steep hillsides back to Llyn Gwernan and the last couple of miles to our cottage . The amazing cloud inversion pouring over the summit of Pen y Gadiar in the mourning gave way to clear blue skies and very warm sunshine right up to sunset time . Got back totally knackered but well chuffed having experienced southern Eryri at its very best . Four lakes ( 0ne twice ) , sun tan and aching legs . Perfect !! :LOL:
DSCF3557.JPGDSCF3563.JPGDSCF3562.JPGDSCF3561.JPGDSCF3560.JPGDSCF3571.JPGDSCF3568.JPGDSCF3575.JPG

Roscobbc

dscf3575-jpg.27974
- remember some time back Mike we 'shared' notes about this magic area, Dyffryn and Barmouth where I holidayed a couple of times as a child and young teenager. I seem to remember this very view (certainly seens the same) after my uncle and I treked up with fishing gear and a .22 rimfire rifle, practice shooting at rocks across the lake. We caught a couple of Trout and had them grilled later that evening for dinner.......never, ever tasted fish so good since then. It might have been earlier in the season as I also remember drinking the really cold crystal clear running water feeding the lake over the surface shallow brooks running through granite rocks, fed from the mountains into the lake. This was in the very late 50's/early 60's and I remember we'd often hear (but rarely see) the RAF/RAE flying small red coloured high speed remote controlled jet powered drones from RAF Llanbedr presumably for target practise over the bay.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
dscf3575-jpg.27974
- remember some time back Mike we 'shared' notes about this magic area, Dyffryn and Barmouth where I holidayed a couple of times as a child and young teenager. I seem to remember this very view (certainly seens the same) after my uncle and I treked up with fishing gear and a .22 rimfire rifle, practice shooting at rocks across the lake. We caught a couple of Trout and had them grilled later that evening for dinner.......never, ever tasted fish so good since then. It might have been earlier in the season as I also remember drinking the really cold crystal clear running water feeding the lake over the surface shallow brooks running through granite rocks, fed from the mountains into the lake. This was in the very late 50's/early 60's and I remember we'd often hear (but rarely see) the RAF/RAE flying small red coloured high speed remote controlled jet powered drones from RAF Llanbedr presumably for target practise over the bay.
Great memories Ross . The Fly Boys were out most of the day yesterday doing low level passes round the Machynlleth Loop . They were the other side of Cadair Idris so couldn`t see them but could certainly hear them !!!

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
The last day in `The Land of Myths & Legends ` today . Not such clear skies today but making the mountains look even more moody . Did the Precipice Walk high above the Afon Mawddach valley where a pair of BAC Hawk RAF Advanced Trainers screamed up the valley about a 100 feet below our vantage point which was pretty impressive . Far too quick to catch on camera !! Bagged another lake though , Llyn Cynwch though . Back home to the boring East Midlands tomorrow . 😢DSCF3585.JPGDSCF3584.JPGDSCF3581.JPGDSCF3580.JPGDSCF3579.JPGDSCF3578.JPG

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Is that the original unit? Only asking as I thought it would have been a Ford branded unit.
Certainly looks good tho
I think it was an aftermarket or dealer fit one as the AC unit in the handbook, although under-dash is a push button one. So kinda original. I’m pretty sure the big York compressor has a ‘62 date tag on it when I looked.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Aftermarket A/C - love the look of them - so purposeful. Presumably a little less complex that combined OEM heating/ac units?
Weirdly the 1961 cars have a combined ac/heating unit but in my ‘62 handbook it shows an under dash a/c unit and separate heater.

Roscobbc

Weirdly the 1961 cars have a combined ac/heating unit but in my ‘62 handbook it shows an under dash a/c unit and separate heater.
I recall my late father in laws RR Shadow 1 with its air conditioning........huge compressor.....if I remember driven off the same pulley as the power steering, so if either threw the dual belts you'd loose both!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I recall my late father in laws RR Shadow 1 with its air conditioning........huge compressor.....if I remember driven off the same pulley as the power steering, so if either threw the dual belts you'd loose both!
Probably a single piston York jobbie like mine
IMG_1290.jpeg