What have you done today

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Reminiscent of many years ago when I was running a 205 GTI as a reps car. Car went in for service and when I collected it later the same day the service manager was keen to show me the roasted dead Hedgehog obviously run over and wedged behind the exhaust manifold and engine block......I wondered what the lovely smell had been the previous day.......
Probably quite a delicacy in some countries ! :p

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Don`t worry , Odney Manor will be well looked after . My mate Bill Gwilt was the only driver renowned for ripping the chimney off with the blast from having the regulator in the roof !!
:ROFLMAO: And he retired from the footplate at the grand age of 85 earlier this year .

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
This ones for you CaptainK 😀 `Your `Odney Manor ` looked magnificent in the early morning sun at Loughborough Loco Depot today on the first day of the Great Central Railways 4 day Autumn Gala . Lots of smokey atmosphere in the depot yard as locos were raising steam for the days work . One of my mates was driver on the Manor and pronounced it a great machine and all round good `un at the end of his shift . (y)
Started the day of setting up our Locomotive Association Sales stand to raise much needed funds for our ongoing overhaul projects then I DSCF3599.JPGDSCF3594.JPGDSCF3606.JPGDSCF3605.JPGDSCF3600.JPGDSCF3604.JPGDSCF3603.JPG went back to the long running saga of working on Sir Lamiels boiler . From my lofty perch on top of the boiler I had a good view of all the comings and goings of the locos whilst breathing in all that lovely smoky `atmosphere !!(y)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Good photos thanks Chuffs. I'd forgotten that Witherslack had departed WSR as well. I saw and went onboard that one during my steam course on Odney.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Good photos thanks Chuffs. I'd forgotten that Witherslack had departed WSR as well. I saw and went onboard that one during my steam course on Odney.
I think it was probably a reciprocal arrangement between the GCR and the WSR . We loaned them Witherslack Hall and they loaned us Odney . I have my own Odney on my layout , no wonder the floor boards are sagging !!! :ROFLMAO:
DSCF3483.JPGDSCF3478.JPG

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Me, two mates and four dogs had a great afternoon messing with Corvettes in my garage.

Recent body off restoration and you wouldn't believe how many loose nuts, bolts and screws we found...

Rear is jacked up hence the massive gap above the tyres

Need to restock the beer fridge 🍻

1728153655410.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Me, two mates and four dogs had a great afternoon messing with Corvettes in my garage.

Recent body off restoration and you wouldn't believe how many loose nuts, bolts and screws we found...

Rear is jacked up hence the massive gap above the tyres

Need to restock the beer fridge 🍻

View attachment 28156
Sounds like the perfect `guys out day ` to me .(y) Was the body off restoration done in the States ? I remember Mike Brewer saying on one of his Live Stage gigs that American resto`s were only done up finger tight but I took that with a pinch of salt at the time like everything he says . :rolleyes:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Sounds like the perfect `guys out day ` to me .(y) Was the body off restoration done in the States ? I remember Mike Brewer saying on one of his Live Stage gigs that American resto`s were only done up finger tight but I took that with a pinch of salt at the time like everything he says . :rolleyes:
No over here but a mate bought a '72 C3 LT-1 restored in the states by an NCRS judge and not a bolt was tight so maybe Mike is onto something?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Probably depends on the shop that does the restoration. Can’t believe ALL shops don’t tighten things up. I’ve know a few guys who have had resto’s done and they have been OK

Roscobbc

Bought my '68 in 2000. Was never too happy about gearbox and clutch operation. Clutch had a significant judder issue if pulling away briskly. Previous owner had the gearbox rebuilt. Later I was doing a routine inspection for oil levels etc under the car I was initially mystified why there was a sticky grey coloured 'paste' all around the 'ears' of the gearbox to bell housing mounting points........further inspection revealed that all four mounting bolts where not just hand tight, but were actually undone a couple of turns or so. The 'grey paste' was a mix of surface engine oil and aluminium 'dust' from where the gearbox and bell housing had been 'rubbing' against each other. The gearbox had effectively been 'floating' and was responsible for the severe judder when pulling away and really poor gearshift operation . Tightening the mounting bolts largely corrected the juddering issue. Much later inspection of the clutch revealed an extremely irregular wear pattern on the friction disc and flywheel surface.

Roscobbc

One of the issues when parking-up close to a wall in a relatively narrow garage, leaving access to walk past is then getting access to one side of the car - I have a 'slow' puncture in a rear tyre on the 'wrong' side......it was a pain getting access to re-inflate it. Had to push the thing out ultimately. Thought I'd post this for those who like 'Cammy' sounds. https://youtu.be/uWEebDPO6KQ

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I'd like a 4 post lift in my garage too. Nice. :cool:
Dave in the blue jeans who's Corvette we were working on is now converted and he too is now getting one. A game changer for sure and I don't have the two Pugs sat on my head while lay on the floor under the car anymore.

Before I used this air over hydraulic lift which is also great and very sturdy if you have limited headroom as I did in my previous garage.

1728298243714.jpeg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
A lot of “new cars” were ordered without A/C probably because of the cost. Once delivered to the new proud owner they were quickly returned to have A/C fitted especially in the southern states.
Seen plenty of mid year Sting Rays especially coupes with the under dash A/C unit on the passenger side.

My 396 has that type fitted and still blows very cold. I was told by the PO it was fitted by the dealer before the first owner collected their brand new Corvette