What have you done today

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Don’t you just love paying someone to do a job then end up putting it right yourself😭

I would love to have a four post lift of course.

Garages used to have a “pit” which you don’t see anymore. They’ve got their risks too of course, like falling in to it. I think they've been known to collapse too.
I once put the front drivers side of a Lincoln Town car down a pit. Wasn’t paying attention reversing out and bang, down it went. Scared the sh@@ out of me.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Working under a car on axel stands was what made me get the lift as, as the older I got the less confident I became. Following the basic checks on my lift gives me 100% confidence to get under a car and wrangle it with no signs of any chance of failure. If a 4 post falls over, it would normally be down to user error, taking shorts cuts or rushing. There was three of us working on the Corvette, not counting dogs and each time it went up or down, we all checked everything was clear, dogs were safe, no one was leaning on one of the posts chatting etc..

That being said, the installers or as I like to call them - lazy bastards convinced me it didn't need bolting to the floor and I said, ok fine.. The first time I used it the posts all moved however slightly but it threw the whole thing outta whack. I then bolted it down myself and squared it up as it should be.
No need to bolt down !!! Feck ! that`s crazy . This is why most accidents happen at home . In the workplace LOLE Regs ( Lifting Equipment & Lifting Operations ) apply under H&S legislation and are very stringent . I had to deal with all that on construction site management and it still haunts me to this day as you don`t take chances under 81 tons of locomotive tender !! Even with industrial sized jackets we always lower onto big baulks of timber sleepers and not leave it on jacks when underneath .DSCF3018.JPG

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Don’t you just love paying someone to do a job then end up putting it right yourself😭

I would love to have a four post lift of course.

Garages used to have a “pit” which you don’t see anymore. They’ve got their risks too of course, like falling in to it. I think they've been known to collapse too.
Years ago at a previous house I had a garage built with a pit , it was brilliant and much safer than jacks or axle stands . The problem now is in the professional workplace , being near the edge of a pit is classed as `Working at Height ` under H&S regs and therefore comes with it`s own set of issues . Another point of concern that knocked pits on the head was the possibility of heavier than air fumes and gases filling the pit . We live in a totally risk averse society these days !

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
81 tons will leave a mark so wear that bump cap!

When I was shopping for a lift it seemed to be that 2 post lifts have to be securely bolted down into a minimum of 150mm of concrete. The 4 posts however, are portable and like mine have lugs at the base of all 4 posts that with a supplied tool can raise the lift post-by-post to insert a dolly and wheel the entire thing into a new location. Could be handy I suppose but in my garage I only have the one section that is full height with the rest having an upper floor meaning my lift is moving nowhere else. When it was installed I drew around the baseplates with a sharpie then after a couple of uses I could see how far it had 'walked' and it had, only a few mm's but enough that I decided to bolt it down with 16 x 12mm Rawl bolt type shield anchors which Strongman supplied FOC after I complained.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
We live in a totally risk averse society these days !

It's not such a bad thing but sometimes it can get crazy stupid..

The company I worked as an air conditioning engineer for 17 years resisted all requests for lifting equipment as a single example and now 27 years later I still suffer from erosion of the lower 3 vertebrae as a result of lifting and carrying items way too heavy. When I started our Co a priority was put on our employees health, safety and welfare and we never say no to anything that makes the job safer despite the cost.

On a related note, I always enjoyed playing cricket and found that bowling helped my back / spine despite objections from the surgeon.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member

The company I worked as an air conditioning engineer for 17 years resisted all requests for lifting equipment as a single example and now 27 years later I still suffer from erosion of the lower 3 vertebrae as a result of lifting and carrying items way too heavy. When I started our Co a priority was put on our employees health, safety and welfare and we never say no to anything that makes the job safer despite the cost.

On a related note, I always enjoyed playing cricket and found that bowling helped my back / spine despite objections from the surgeon.
Agree that H&S is not a bad thing but everyone is jumping at shadows these days . Having started in engineering in 1968 when H&S at Work was an alien concept it`s a wonder I have lived so long !! Good to hear your approach to H&S though as far to many employers `wing it ` and hope they get away with it . My old vertebrae and disc issues are starting to raise their ugly head again after being ok since surgery in 2007 having had back trouble on and off for years . I am waiting to hear from a consultant after having an MRI scan . It was 17 years as Hooker in the front row of the scrum that did for me in the end but I still carried on doing weights at the gym and playing squash though despite my doctor telling me to exercise but take it easy . Don`t do taking it easy . :LOL: It was strange that like you with cricket , the 10 years I spent shoveling coal before promotion to loco driver never was a problem as the action is so different .

Roscobbc

So many years of spending days driving hundreds of thousands of miles and so many hours in 70's and 80's company vehicles......all with poorly supported seating eventually requiring removal of a lower disc in my back leaving nerve damage to my left leg. Oddly now the most comfortable place for me to sit for hours is in a modern car.......even odder is that a C3 seat and its low position is the most comfortable of all places to sit!

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
81 tons will leave a mark so wear that bump cap!

When I was shopping for a lift it seemed to be that 2 post lifts have to be securely bolted down into a minimum of 150mm of concrete. The 4 posts however, are portable and like mine have lugs at the base of all 4 posts that with a supplied tool can raise the lift post-by-post to insert a dolly and wheel the entire thing into a new location. Could be handy I suppose but in my garage I only have the one section that is full height with the rest having an upper floor meaning my lift is moving nowhere else. When it was installed I drew around the baseplates with a sharpie then after a couple of uses I could see how far it had 'walked' and it had, only a few mm's but enough that I decided to bolt it down with 16 x 12mm Rawl bolt type shield anchors which Strongman supplied FOC after I complained.
4 post lifts are not portable as per the build standard, only "parking lifts" can get away with this as they don't have to meet BS EN 1493.
Also be aware that some CE markings stand for Chinese Export !!

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Years ago at a previous house I had a garage built with a pit , it was brilliant and much safer than jacks or axle stands . The problem now is in the professional workplace , being near the edge of a pit is classed as `Working at Height ` under H&S regs and therefore comes with it`s own set of issues . Another point of concern that knocked pits on the head was the possibility of heavier than air fumes and gases filling the pit . We live in a totally risk averse society these days !
Vehicle pits are still around in commercial applications, I deal with several business local to me that still have them, signage, ventilation and barriers are all that's required.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
So many years of spending days driving hundreds of thousands of miles and so many hours in 70's and 80's company vehicles......all with poorly supported seating eventually requiring removal of a lower disc in my back leaving nerve damage to my left leg. Oddly now the most comfortable place for me to sit for hours is in a modern car.......even odder is that a C3 seat and its low position is the most comfortable of all places to sit!
C3 therapy ! It should be available on the NHS . 🤣

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Comfort has certainly improved in cars and commercial vehicle over the years. Can’t imagine doing 60k miles a year repping in an old cortina.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
4 post lifts are not portable as per the build standard, only "parking lifts" can get away with this as they don't have to meet BS EN 1493.
Also be aware that some CE markings stand for Chinese Export !!

1728506547034.png

This is the one I have which is portable, a parking lift and a home maintenance lift as per above. When considering this lift I did think to myself; will I be taking any engines out anytime soon? Nope and if I did the car would be on the ground not in the air on a lift! Am I likely to be removing a gearbox anytime soon? Nope although I would if I had too while having full confidence in the lift.

Roscobbc

Looked at the possibility of this type of 4 poster in my double length single width garage - rear third is a flat, boarded and felted roof. Front sectiom adjoins the bungalow and shares an extention of the pitched, tiled roof. Currently the upper part of this has mezzanine storage floor. A 4 poster could be sited part way in to the garage and the pitched section of the garage roof could probably accomodate a 'raised' car..........but only being a 8 to 9 foot wide 'single' width.......once 4 poster is installed I doubt if there would be enough room to get past a car if parked inside it at ground level.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Been back in the BIG BOYS TOYS box today and considering the discussions this thread had generated on the pros and cons of safety with post lifts, pits and working at height , I thought I would throw this into the mix . One of the locos we are currently giving a major overhaul / rebuild sits over 5ft 6 inch foot deep pit and having 6 ft 7 inch diameter driving wheels means the that the `running plate ` ( the walkway bit along each side of the boiler will sit is about 7ft 6 ins above rail level and therefore about 13 feet above the floor of the pit if you take a nosedive down through the frames and axles and hit the deck !!! So we have ladders to access the pit , ladders to access work platforms spanning the pit at rail level , and ladders ( all tied on of course ) from the platforms up to what part part of the innards we are working on . You have done half a days work before you even pick up a spanner or a paintbrush ! :rolleyes:
For more details on current progress with the rebuild , I will update the " Different Train of Thought " thread .DSCF3612.JPG

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Motor Sports day at Brooklands today. Club member Barry from Kent there with his C8, doing some laps on the track for the audience. Barry's first Vette after all those Porsches and BMWs and he's "luuvvinn it". Getting a lot of attention from people in the parking too, ignoring the white McLaren 570GT parked next to it. ;) Well done Barry!

Attachments

• Bklnds MS Day 131024 1.jpg
    Bklnds MS Day 131024 1.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Bklnds MS Day 131024 2.jpg
    Bklnds MS Day 131024 2.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Bklnds MS Day 131024 3.jpg
    Bklnds MS Day 131024 3.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Been at Silverstone today for the HSCC Championship Finals with ` Car Natter ` group . Reserved parking in the paddock area , a reserved room with viewing balcony in the Brooklands Hospitality Suite to watch the track action at the end of Wellington Straight / Brooklands Corner . Garage and paddock access too to get up close and personal with cars , drivers and crews . Some great race action with Historic Road Sports , Guards Trophy , Historic Formula Junior , Formula Ford 2000 , Derek Bell Trophy and 1970`s Road Sports . This was a two day event but I was only there today . My buddies from the race workshop where the C3 lives were competing in the Derek Bell Trophy in the Ralt RT1 ( red car number 14 ) which Mark Mercer was driving and Pete Gretton spannering . Mark is very quick and talented guy and came in second place yesterday on slicks despite challenging wet the dry then wet conditions . In today`s race he led from lap one onwards with despite fierce competition in a field that included Formula 5000 and Chevron B10`s . He posted three fastest lap times before the circuit was yellow flagged and then suffered a rear wheel bearing failure and had to retire . That was a potential top podium place down the tubes . 😭
The safety was a Ferrari 250 GT SWB wold you believe ???DSC_5085.JPGDSC_5089.JPGDSC_5088.JPGDSC_5087.JPGDSC_5086.JPGDSC_5090.JPGDSC_5082.JPGDSC_5081.JPGDSC_5080.JPG
Some great cars in the Car Natter paddock too although LDV 515V was the only Corvette in the whole the circuit . There was a fabulous `67 Plymouth Road Runner and a Ford Granada Coupe Ghia running a Corvette LS1 engine and 6 speed box . Got chatting to the owner who had plans for further performance mod`s to give it even more pep !!