What have you done today

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s why factory fitted A/C dashes are so expensive today. They have the centre vent above the clock, with the two extra A/C control pulls to match the standard 4.
Aftermarket and Dealer fitted versions even when new don’t have this.
IMG_2340.jpeg

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Always liked the look of the factory Ford A/C as fitted to the first Generation mustangs. Fitted under the dash centre and the half centre console set it off nicely. Even looked good without the console.
This unit was fitted to my 57 Thunderbird when it was being restored. Looked real nice.
IMG_2343.jpegIMG_2342.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Corvettes really do get cool inside with a fully functioning A/C system, as it’s a small area inside to cool down. Especially on 68-77 coupes without the large rear window.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Before I used this air over hydraulic lift which is also great and very sturdy if you have limited headroom as I did in my previous garage.
What brand of hydraulic lift did you have? I'm still contemplating one of them, but I don't work under my cars that often, so justification of the cost etc. Headroom in the garage, I think I should be able to fit the 4 poster like you have...... except for the normal up and over garage door I have means I'll have to remember not to open the garage door when the Corvette is in the air :ROFLMAO: (its a double garage, so can open the other side's door if coming from the front, or the back door if coming from garden).

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Corvettes really do get cool inside with a fully functioning A/C system, as it’s a small area inside to cool down. Especially on 68-77 coupes without the large rear window.
Never have got round to getting my AC up and running as not a priority job as the UK rarely gets hot enough . Usually have the window down or the T Tops out . :cool:

Roscobbc

Never have got round to getting my AC up and running as not a priority job as the UK rarely gets hot enough . Usually have the window down or the T Tops out . :cool:
TBH I haven't used my Vette too much this year.......but generally once the weather is hot enough to remove the T roofs an rear window they'll usually remain off for the rest of the season. But I havn't removed them this year.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
TBH I haven't used my Vette too much this year.......but generally once the weather is hot enough to remove the T roofs an rear window they'll usually remain off for the rest of the season. But I havn't removed them this year.
You have been denying the `great unwashed ` the pleasure of seeing your superb beast out on the road Ross . Must try harder next year ! :LOL:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
What brand of hydraulic lift did you have? I'm still contemplating one of them, but I don't work under my cars that often, so justification of the cost etc. Headroom in the garage, I think I should be able to fit the 4 poster like you have...... except for the normal up and over garage door I have means I'll have to remember not to open the garage door when the Corvette is in the air :ROFLMAO: (its a double garage, so can open the other side's door if coming from the front, or the back door if coming from garden).
Can't recall the manufacturer Captain but I still have it so will check soon. I think it was £1,100.00. To get maximum use out of a lift 12' minimum but ideally 14'

Dave who's C3 we were working on has been looking around for one that would work in his 2 car 'typical' modern garage and has found a company in the midlands that builds a 4 post to fit in this type of small'ish garage with the ramps at 3200mm in length and just about 2.5k.Pretty sure my ramps are 4,000mm or so

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
My 396 has that type fitted and still blows very cold. I was told by the PO it was fitted by the dealer before the first owner collected their brand new Corvette
Don't like to jump on a post like this but be very cautious of the above vehicle lift.
As it is sold as a "parking lift" it most likely doesn't meet the build standard (BS EN 1493) of a vehicle lift.
They are being imported from China and are usually cheap, compared to a vehicle lift.
One of the main points that "parking lifts" do not always have is a method or device to prevent uncontrolled movement, in layman's terms if something goes wrong the load bed drops to the floor with nothing to stop it.
Under no circumstances should you ever walk under a car lifted by one, let alone work on a car on one.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Don't like to jump on a post like this but be very cautious of the above vehicle lift.
As it is sold as a "parking lift" it most likely doesn't meet the build standard (BS EN 1493) of a vehicle lift.
They are being imported from China and are usually cheap, compared to a vehicle lift.
One of the main points that "parking lifts" do not always have is a method or device to prevent uncontrolled movement, in layman's terms if something goes wrong the load bed drops to the floor with nothing to stop it.
Under no circumstances should you ever walk under a car lifted by one, let alone work on a car on one.

Like This

Liftcrash.jpg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Noted Steven and having some experience, I've given Dave a list of questions to ask the supplier. When we worked on mine last weekend, I showed them the cam locks and impressed on them not to go under the lift until all 4 were checked and engaged

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
This lift has the same safety measures mine has. The upper lever on the data sheet disengages the cam locks to lower the lift ramps and without holding that down the lift will engage and lock into the next set of 4 cam receivers in the 4 posts and stay at that height. Each of the 4 posts has a steel plate with punched out square 'holes' that allow you you to set the ramp at the desired working height and once you have confirmed all 4 cams are engaged the ramps cannot just drop to the floor!

1728422176109.png

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Getting under a car whether it’s on a ramp or axle stand has always worried me to a degree.….If a pin, a bolt, or a weld fail or something slips.
I know of two ramp failures in Essex, one incident involved a C3 in which the mechanic was seriously
injured (and the C3 written of as a result).
If I’m under my car on axle stands I’ll tend to put railway sleeper blocks under the car too as a fail-safe - there’s not much that can fail with a big block of wood.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Working under a car on axel stands was what made me get the lift as, as the older I got the less confident I became. Following the basic checks on my lift gives me 100% confidence to get under a car and wrangle it with no signs of any chance of failure. If a 4 post falls over, it would normally be down to user error, taking shorts cuts or rushing. There was three of us working on the Corvette, not counting dogs and each time it went up or down, we all checked everything was clear, dogs were safe, no one was leaning on one of the posts chatting etc..

That being said, the installers or as I like to call them - lazy bastards convinced me it didn't need bolting to the floor and I said, ok fine.. The first time I used it the posts all moved however slightly but it threw the whole thing outta whack. I then bolted it down myself and squared it up as it should be.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
That being said, the installers or as I like to call them - lazy bastards convinced me it didn't need bolting to the floor and I said, ok fine.. The first time I used it the posts all moved however slightly but it threw the whole thing outta whack. I then bolted it down myself and squared it up as it should be.
Don’t you just love paying someone to do a job then end up putting it right yourself😭

I would love to have a four post lift of course.

Garages used to have a “pit” which you don’t see anymore. They’ve got their risks too of course, like falling in to it. I think they've been known to collapse too.