First C3 Vette and luvin it :)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
What prevents the wind from blowing in and causing this to lift upwards and move ?
Enough free space on sides to use floor jacks ?

Waynio

CCCUK Member
What prevents the wind from blowing in and causing this to lift upwards and move ?
Enough free space on sides to use floor jacks ?
The front door stops wind getting in and lifting it, here it also very sheltered, here its up against two walls and one side is another fence six feet away. And sswell as it being anchored down well. The last one i had i left one end open and had it anchored down with more than just the feet supplied. i added ratchet straps and eye bolts resined in to he ground to make sure. .
There is 3 foot at the sides for room and i use pneumatic jacks mainly. dont use trolly jacks much now if at all.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
At long last its near done. I say near done as i still need to concnrete do.nnw the rest of the feet of the garage. Ill do it before winter ;)

For now .i have \wired it up and got full power going. Al i need is the tunes and tools and the Vette, happy man:) This is my destress area now :)

20240817-185846.jpg

Compressor is now outside the garage now not in the workshop and waiting for its cupboard. just need to set the tool cbainet on its cabinet once the castors have arrived for it to move about easier.

20240817-185813.jpg

I though to have a faff the other day and see what the brakes looked like, and good but discs need a fettle. Wheels i will [polish up witht he mop kit i have from doing boats. its somewhere int shed...i hope.

I jacked it up in one go on the front for now with a beam across joining the wishbones. i still need to finish the pneumatic lift i am making, unless i buy a lift.

20240809-183445.jpg

20240809-183456.jpg

20240809-183501.jpg

I cleaned the head and manifold bolts up ready the other day aswell.

20240813-182953.jpg

Looks like liquid thread seal was used. Ill be using it again for the heads as it was used before.

20240813-182956.jpg

20240813-183757.jpg

Manifold is in the cleaner as it was manky. Ill stick it in the sand blaster aswell to get it better.

I was sck of using buckets of degreaser so thought to just buy a parts cleaner. So thats soaking now until tomorrow.

20240817-190528.jpg

I know not a great deal but small steps n all :) will no be going now for end of this month but soon enough.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Dang, you need to head right over to Harbor Freight and buy lots of man cave tools

You're missing their parking lot sale this weekend !

Guy cannot have enough tools :)
Where is the beer cooler ? :)

I have a 2-car garage and there is not one blank space on all 3 walls, a must for wrenchers to have more tools than stores do :)

When you sell the car might be easier to package the whole tent and all in it :)

20240817-185813.jpg

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Dang, you need to head right over to Harbor Freight and buy lots of man cave tools

You're missing their parking lot sale this weekend !

Guy cannot have enough tools :)
Where is the beer cooler ? :)

I have a 2-car garage and there is not one blank space on all 3 walls, a must for wrenchers to have more tools than stores do :)

When you sell the car might be easier to package the whole tent and all in it :)

View attachment 27605

Love my tools kida. As I am.in the UK I don't think we get Harbour Feieght.
Out of room.anyway
Was going to get a shaper and surface grinder but no room now.
The garage will stay clear of crap though. Like my space to work on cars.
Got enough gear for now int shed.

This is when I tidied it though last year haha

1723972108099.png

1723972216842.png

D in there now.
Got my sand blaster squeezed in there now. I really need to tidy it again. But then it's not busy if it's tidy.

Attachments

• 1723972291785.png
    1723972291785.png
    2 MB · Views: 3

Roscobbc

So many tools, so much precision machinery.........such little time left.........reminds me of when I did my engineering apprenticeship so many years ago.......everything one could need for making and repairing car and bike stuff, small lathes, big lathes, vertical, horizontal mills, surface grinders, shapers, vertical drills, polishing wheels, spark eroders, plating shop, all kinds of ferrous and non ferrous metals and composite materials stores........the crackle of two stroke scooter and 'music' of car exhausts made from brass tubing........

Waynio

CCCUK Member
As always with my plans and luck. Its a change of plan.

I should of had it running this weekend. The plan was to get it going over winter to see whats needed and see what spec the engine is.
Couple days back i started to refit the heads with new lifters. And reuse whats already here. It was just lifters i needed as the originals were a bit dodgy with surface rust

Anyway. as i said. First head on and being torqued up. got 65lbs and bolt, No 12 striped the block. I think twelve as i forgot now but passenger side, second in bottom row has stripped. .
I didnt even chuck a spanner, but walked away a few times and came back thinking `did that happen`

So bonnet off 20240820-191944.jpg

20240820-192236.jpg

In mean time as i had thrown out my DIY engine stands i had for boat engine rebuilds, i bought one for sake of £60

For the money these SGS products are not bad for the money to say its Chinese. its a 680KG cap so plenty for the engine and box to be dragged out.

20240821-194714.jpg20240821-194729.jpg

In a way i am glad in a few ways this happend a snow i can remove the Lamber sensor thing and refit it around the back.
The previous owner said its a god send fur tuning it. Not a clue yet how i do it using that.

20240822-195728.jpg

A bit of a faff to get the manifolds out as i needed more height for the drivers side but it came out.

20240822-195714.jpg

Also splashed out on a leveller, easier than faffing with chains etc. makes me wonder why i didnt get these things sooner over the years.

20240822-211933.jpg20240823-165459.jpg

So today i was all set to remove the block. detached the gear linkages. G box bolts, engine mounts.

AND my engine crane dont reach. Should of thought of that sooner

20240823-165519.jpg

Attachments

• 20240823-165958.jpg
    20240823-165958.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 4

Waynio

CCCUK Member
20240823-171015 (1).jpg

Also the stands are in the way so i had to drip it on the ramps.

20240823-165958.jpg

New plan is. drop it on the floor, push it out so i can get the engine out from the side. As you can see i am in the middle of repalcing the flags on the drive 6so that will need to be done asap so i can crack on more. also concrete more so i can get rid of the bulk bags.

20240823-172013.jpg

Well getting there bit at a time. I am now going to get a new Mild Cam, i think a 252 is good to go for. and a better carb. As i unsure of the spec that the engine is ill do what i can now. Along with rebuild the front suspension as all the rubber have cracked.

Attachments

• 20240823-171049.jpg
    20240823-171049.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 0

Waynio

CCCUK Member
I do like seeing other people's projects, keep posting.
I used to do a lot of build threads on my boats but it gets hard work and got fed up of doing them towards the end. .can be very time consuming so i do it when i can now as doing it right takes time.
Once was asked to do magazine articles. My god tech got the better of me there haha

Waynio

CCCUK Member
todays job was to spend four hours collecting this compressor to join up with my other.
just to pipe it up now . bit more CFM for the blaster and to spray it

love a bargain. even if it took so long. One on the right is the new to me one.

20240825-122630.jpg

Just need to get better castors as these are rubbish. have a couple of wheelie bin wheels and need to bet some braked pivot casters now.
should run the blast cabinet better swell as tools.

will just fit nice in the space i have onmc ei build a cabinet for them.

20240825-122732.jpg

And do the rets of the work like flagging more and concreting.

will be well worth it :)

TimP

CCCUK Member
Keep up the great work - I really like these types of threads too. Terrific workshop, by the way, looks like you've got a machine tool for just about everything! Really like the comfy chair in the corner too. Keep on posting - really interested to see how it all turns out.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Ok get i think i have chosen the new cam set for it. i decided to look for a full kit so then atleast spring and push rods are all for the cam shaft.

As said before it is a standard block and heads with inlet manifold from what i have made out. So unless anyone disagrees and it is a bad idea ill just stick what i have back in. From the Cam specs its god after what i have researched into for the engine. And later i can maybe get better heads and inlet.

This is the one i found

I mite aswell tell you, what a pillock i am. Had a VERY close call tonight with these dam compressors. I am fitting new castors to it, bigger one so i used my enigne crane to lift one side up................BUT a bit to much. How dam lose was that.

My heart drop out my backside.
Missed DILLIGAF by mm, literally. the went arse over tit and lucky one of the motors stopped it going further.

It tool me 2 hrs to try and right them back up and so top heavy.

20240828-181624.jpg

20240828-181710.jpg

I think i need a break from stuff. Got an holiday coming up in six weeks and need it.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Have you considered ?

1981 engine was an L81
Compression Ratio: only 8.2:1
Flywheel HP 190 & torque 280 ft/lbs

CAM you're choosing LSA is only
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

What tranny, auto or manual ?

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
View attachment 27683

Also the stands are in the way so i had to drip it on the ramps.

View attachment 27680

New plan is. drop it on the floor, push it out so i can get the engine out from the side. As you can see i am in the middle of repalcing the flags on the drive 6so that will need to be done asap so i can crack on more. also concrete more so i can get rid of the bulk bags.

View attachment 27685

Well getting there bit at a time. I am now going to get a new Mild Cam, i think a 252 is good to go for. and a better carb. As i unsure of the spec that the engine is ill do what i can now. Along with rebuild the front suspension as all the rubber have cracked.
Ok get i think i have chosen the new cam set for it. i decided to look for a full kit so then atleast spring and push rods are all for the cam shaft.

As said before it is a standard block and heads with inlet manifold from what i have made out. So unless anyone disagrees and it is a bad idea ill just stick what i have back in. From the Cam specs its god after what i have researched into for the engine. And later i can maybe get better heads and inlet.

This is the one i found

I mite aswell tell you, what a pillock i am. Had a VERY close call tonight with these dam compressors. I am fitting new castors to it, bigger one so i used my enigne crane to lift one side up................BUT a bit to much. How dam lose was that.

My heart drop out my backside.
Missed DILLIGAF by mm, literally. the went arse over tit and lucky one of the motors stopped it going further.

It tool me 2 hrs to try and right them back up and so top heavy.

20240828-181624.jpg

20240828-181710.jpg

I think i need a break from stuff. Got an holiday coming up in six weeks and need it.
Close shave wanio 😱 I think I saw a pic of my engine and box coming out in the usa with the crane at the side. Serious equip in your shed.what is the big furnace looking thing ? Couldnt decide if it was a waste oil burner or no 3 boiler from the Lucitania ! 🤣👍

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Have you considered ?

1981 engine was an L81
Compression Ratio: only 8.2:1
Flywheel HP 190 & torque 280 ft/lbs

CAM you're choosing LSA is only
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

What tranny, auto or manual ?
It is a Manual Manual
I am just looking for specs in cams that i got from You tube videos etc. Folk say this then other say that. Doesnt make it easy when folk say so many different things. a H252 was first said to be a the bets then next somebody says its to big and drop down to 200IN -230EX

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Close shave wanio 😱 I think I saw a pic of my engine and box coming out in the usa with the crane at the side. Serious equip in your shed.what is the big furnace looking thing ? Couldnt decide if it was a waste oil burner or no 3 boiler from the Lucitania ! 🤣👍
Love my tools and junk haha. It all keeps me busy. The stove is like a Mass air heater. I buitl it as had a diesle heater and was rubbish and i can get wood free from work.

Some pics of it when i built it.
20221126-153109.jpg

20221127-132139.jpg

20221127-155630.jpg

20221128-200522.jpg

20221202-183006.jpg

20221202-183014.jpg

Mina fire box

20221202-182906.jpg

20221203-164315.jpg

Then to the riser, when made correct you get a vortex and with a second burn it burns the gasses and give even more heat off.. And smoke free :)

Need to be carfefull as temps in there can get to 1200 deg C. this doesnt as not mad eit to do that, to warm as it is at times. Vest and boxers in midwinter at times haha

20221203-151943.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
It is a Manual Manual
I am just looking for specs in cams that i got from You tube videos etc. Folk say this then other say that. Doesnt make it easy when folk say so many different things. a H252 was first said to be a the bets then next somebody says its to big and drop down to 200IN -230EX

It is a Manual Manual

You have to remember the L81 engine for 1981 was designed to be a real smog pig and why it only has 190 flywheel HP
take off 20 HP and that is only about 170 HP at the rear wheels

add the Compression Ratio: only 8.2:1 is low, compare to my C5 as engine changes I have is 11:3.1

That is also a reason 1.94" intake/1.5" exhaust sized valves for those heads
You need to search and find out what the LSA of the stock L81 CAM was, I suspect maybe an LSA of 115 and the cam you point to
is 110 so the more narrow the LSA is the less vacuum there is from startup to mid RPMs
Lucky having a manual tranny as if auto that lower vacuum would affect it and require at least a different torque converter

I suggest you read this on the CAM your point to as what stated on Summit Racing website as it might require head work with the kit your cam comes with for the springs ?

Not knowing what type of final engine output but might require different heads or your ported for larger valves and shaving head face to raise compression or at least use thinner head gaskets to raise compression a bit or changing those smog pistons for ones that would raise compression

In searching, I see guys tend to go with the Comp Cams 260H or Comp Cams XE262 or L81 engine

If I recall correctly, 1981 C3s had an early version of a engine control module and not sure how it would function with a narrow LSA
I have heard like Crane or Comp CAMS made CAM grinds that worked with that ECU

Waynio

CCCUK Member
You have to remember the L81 engine for 1981 was designed to be a real smog pig and why it only has 190 flywheel HP
take off 20 HP and that is only about 170 HP at the rear wheels

add the Compression Ratio: only 8.2:1 is low, compare to my C5 as engine changes I have is 11:3.1

That is also a reason 1.94" intake/1.5" exhaust sized valves for those heads
You need to search and find out what the LSA of the stock L81 CAM was, I suspect maybe an LSA of 115 and the cam you point to
is 110 so the more narrow the LSA is the less vacuum there is from startup to mid RPMs
Lucky having a manual tranny as if auto that lower vacuum would affect it and require at least a different torque converter

I suggest you read this on the CAM your point to as what stated on Summit Racing website as it might require head work with the kit your cam comes with for the springs ?

Not knowing what type of final engine output but might require different heads or your ported for larger valves and shaving head face to raise compression or at least use thinner head gaskets to raise compression a bit or changing those smog pistons for ones that would raise compression

In searching, I see guys tend to go with the Comp Cams 260H or Comp Cams XE262 or L81 engine

If I recall correctly, 1981 C3s had an early version of a engine control module and not sure how it would function with a narrow LSA
I have heard like Crane or Comp CAMS made CAM grinds that worked with that ECU

All the electrics etc have been removed, all on just carb. So its a basic engine. which i like. Its a Goodwrench crate engine aswell. of unkown spec. .Previous owner thought it could be a 290 crate engine but after looking at the inlet and heads etc now i have looked closer at the parts I cant see it.

By doing this work on the engine all i want is 300bhp, maybe a bit more. If its going to run like a pig with no head work and just fitting the/a cam kit then ill put it back together as is. Could roll/road it to see what it actually is. then rebuild the engine at a later date once i have driven for a year.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
@teamzr1

Yes that cam needs haed wokr before fitting. Dam i added the wrong cam kit i had in my Summit Racing basket and i see i deleted the wrong cam kit. ill have to find it again and add the link.