First C3 Vette and luvin it :)

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Be bets maybe if i get the engine out and size it all up for what specs it has then maybe easier to find the better cam kit ? yes.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
It was near out when i when i thought. Do i just Helicoil the head and stick the engine and box back in........nope i carried on. Why after such a faff to get it out to just do that.

I have to admit, thsi engine has been one pian to get out of all engines. Or was it just me worried not to damage Mainly o think access to get it out.
2 ton crane was not enough reach from the front. So i pushed it out enough to get it side on.

Still not easy as the wheel is in the way..

Anyway its out. With a few ` hang my head in shame` beginner mistakes. OIL seepage lol

So as the flagging is still not done and i was wangting the engine out i used the couple i have so i can just to push DILLIGAF out enough.

20240830-134513.jpg

20240830-134912.jpg

20240830-134924.jpg

Just enough room with the none running motor home there. That has taken a step back now this beaut is here.

20240830-140751.jpg

As with most of these classis it was easy enough to disconnect for removal. Couple of gear box links. engine mounts and earth/starter motor cables and away we go. .

20240830-142212.jpg

20240830-144527.jpg

I just wish i didnt strip down my big gantry and build a smaller one as my plan was. would of been easier. Hey i did it. Got to the point when it was half way out to detach the G box from the engine and do in two parts as it was not going well for a bit. .Then it just popped out...so to speak.

20240830-144534.jpg

20240830-151500.jpg

For about £30 i would highly suggest the SGS engine leveller. Having removed many engines and never had one i wish i had got one it sooner.

20240830-151837.jpg

Now as you can see i messed up. besides loosing te Gbox oil on removal i sat the engine doen once G box was detached and all i can think is that i was/am that tired i just didnt think and over spilled engine oil.

Ah well sand to hand :)
I knew i should of got some soak mats from work. Infatc i am sure i have some in shed somewhere.

20240830-152400.jpg

20240830-152727.jpg

20240830-153247.jpg

Another pain was fitting it to the engine stand. I had to route around the bolts i have to find some long enough to mount t he engine

20240830-165309.jpg

20240830-173349.jpg

I need now to decide on what to do with it. I dont have unlimited .funds as saving to petrol to run it haha.. I will be checking the spec of the heads, do my maths...god help it , and see what a good cam is to go for. As i have been doing but its all battered my head a bit at the minute.

I would like to get a new cam kit and use the heads i have with inlet manifold with the headers ( is the what we call them in the UK, or manifolds ? ) and then later mod the engine more. As in new heads and manifold. I don know yet.

Atleast its out ;)

Last edited:

johng

CCCUK Member
I would take a photo before I start and maybe remember to take one when I'd finished, but you have the presence of mind to take photos all the way through, even when things aren't going right. How do you do that? Or have you got your own photographer snapping away whilst you work?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Another pain was fitting it to the engine stand. I had to route around the bolts i have to fin
I need now to decide on what to do with it. I dont have unlimited .funds as saving to petrol to run it haha.. I will be checking the spec of the heads, do my maths...god help it , and see what a good cam is to go for. As i have been doing but its all battered my head a bit at the minute.

I would like to get a new cam kit and use the heads i have with inlet manifold with the headers ( is the what we call them in the UK, or manifolds ? ) and then later mod the engine more. As in new heads and manifold. I don know yet.

Atleast its out ;)
That’s what I would do - just put a new cam in spec’d for the heads and compression you have at the moment. Something like the L82 motor cam perhaps. The hydraulic roller cam kits you were looking at are really nice but very expensive and probably not really necessary for a smallish cam. Three times the price of a flat tappet cam kit.
You could spend on a decent intake manifold and Holley double pumper and that would make it quite a lively motor, and those items you can use if and when you go the whole hog with aftermarket heads.

At least with the engine out you can get all the engine bay cleaned up and clean up the gearbox. Changing the cam and getting the timing cover and sump back on etc are also massively easier with the motor on a stand.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
That looks like a real struggle taking the engine out from the side. I had the use of a long arm crane and even that only just reaches with mm away from the nose. Block and tackle from an RSJ or gantry is probably the way.

B15CFCCB-8622-4FE0-AA33-23EE1B6D124D.jpeg

Roscobbc

I did once remove my big block engine with a short reach crane from the side......but only with drivers side front wheel removed to get crane feet in the right position.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
I would take a photo before I start and maybe remember to take one when I'd finished, but you have the presence of mind to take photos all the way through, even when things aren't going right. How do you do that? Or have you got your own photographer snapping away whilst you work?
I just take them as i go. Much for myself aswel as other if there interested. I used to work on and restore boats and before that build on/off road cars. Boats were harder as there is so much to do and when working with GRP its messy. I have a good phone case though. i drop it often haha.

Good to see what your doing and keep you motivated on bad times.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
That’s what I would do - just put a new cam in spec’d for the heads and compression you have at the moment. Something like the L82 motor cam perhaps. The hydraulic roller cam kits you were looking at are really nice but very expensive and probably not really necessary for a smallish cam. Three times the price of a flat tappet cam kit.
You could spend on a decent intake manifold and Holley double pumper and that would make it quite a lively motor, and those items you can use if and when you go the whole hog with aftermarket heads.

At least with the engine out you can get all the engine bay cleaned up and clean up the gearbox. Changing the cam and getting the timing cover and sump back on etc are also massively easier with the motor on a stand.

Reckon thats my best bet and the plan to get specs as it is and go from there, My mate gave me a white board, yesterday just fitted it. The DILLIGAF`s Spec/ To do board.

20240831-175312 (1).jpg

I have a new set of new Hyd flat lifters and maybe just get a cam to suit. the timing gears can wait. So you think a new manifold would be good. What about with the Quadrajet carb i have ?

I have just got 15l of sdegreaser and cleaned up the drive and the parts cleaner is full. So still got plenty for the degrease of the engine bay and engine/ g box.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
That looks like a real struggle taking the engine out from the side. I had the use of a long arm crane and even that only just reaches with mm away from the nose. Block and tackle from an RSJ or gantry is probably the way.

View attachment 27752

It was vert tight. I wanted to extend the Jib but was a bit cautious there. Now i have done it i will sort an extension out for the engine crane for refitting. Its only about 450mm needed. A bit of weight on the back of the lift and it will be good,. Just dont want a disaster with this project so was being over cautious.

. And i have built so many gantries i cant be bothered to build another. But then who knows what i do, even i dont keep to plans as plans dont go to plans here. Still have the block n tackle with trolley and an electric one. so who knows haha

Nice looking Vette BTW :)

Waynio

CCCUK Member
I did once remove my big block engine with a short reach crane from the side......but only with drivers side front wheel removed to get crane feet in the right position.

I was about to set up to remove the wheel when i lowered the engine / box down onto sand bags to reset it all in place to remove the wheel, I came back to do the lfit and it came out real easy for some crazy reason. that was afetr faffing to work out what to do next.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Looking on Summit.
So just a basic cam kit easier then Hyd lfters. complete .then atleast new timing gears are in then

or maybe

Much the same to me.....?

Waynio

CCCUK Member
And i asked other places and like to check here before i buy this poly kit this weekend.

Good ??

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Looking on Summit.
So just a basic cam kit easier then Hyd lfters. complete .then atleast new timing gears are in then

or maybe

Much the same to me.....?
The first one is for a big block, second one is for sbc but looks too tame to me. I would get advice from a supplier or direct from Comp Cams.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
The first one is for a big block, second one is for sbc but looks too tame to me. I would get advice from a supplier or direct from Comp Cams.
Well spotted there. Summit webiste is apin and it seems sometimes mix up other cars / engine s with spec chosen. Hope Comp cams are good to reply then, ill email them. Wanted to buy the lot tonight, i have my shopping list on Summit to buy.

Roscobbc

There is plenty of logic in having conversation with a cam manufacturer/supplier and giving them details of the car and internded usage.......so car, year, auto/manual, rear end ratio. You'll need to satisfy yourself that the person 'advising' you actually know WTF they are talking about and not someone with a check sheet in a call centre. There are other smaller companies than Comp Cams.
There is the presumption that the engine is stock (so low compression) with perhaps a restrictive exhaust system, Quadrajet is a OK carb if in working order, which can mean the use of stock inlet manifold......otherwise if changing carb/inlet combo you'll need to choose whether to use a 'square' port inlet (which also means a different carb to your Quadrajet)........or retain Quadrajet (or replace with Holley spreadbore carb or similar)...........so many variables for you to choose. Hopefully if 'pulling' the heads you can CC the combustion chambers/perhaps measure piston height to determine compression ratio.........take a look at wear ridge on top of bores....?

Waynio

CCCUK Member
There is plenty of logic in having conversation with a cam manufacturer/supplier and giving them details of the car and internded usage.......so car, year, auto/manual, rear end ratio. You'll need to satisfy yourself that the person 'advising' you actually know WTF they are talking about and not someone with a check sheet in a call centre. There are other smaller companies than Comp Cams.
There is the presumption that the engine is stock (so low compression) with perhaps a restrictive exhaust system, Quadrajet is a OK carb if in working order, which can mean the use of stock inlet manifold......otherwise if changing carb/inlet combo you'll need to choose whether to use a 'square' port inlet (which also means a different carb to your

I hope today i can get the specs i have of the engine ( again once i have done some Home DIY ) . Head CC and cam specs. Its running Hooker headers

20240822-195746.jpg

Quadrajet)........or retain Quadrajet (or replace with Holley spreadbore carb or similar)...........so many variables for you to choose. Hopefully if 'pulling' the heads you can CC the combustion chambers/perhaps measure piston height to determine compression ratio.........take a look at wear ridge on top of bores....?
Ooh, make it easy,
Just pick one of these

small blocks

OR
Better one of these :)

full crate engines
Ha Ha that would be nice.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Was a busy weekend for me. House DIY and Garden then this.

Tried or organise the garage a bit.

Got the tool box on wheels. Need to when you dont a great deal of room.

20240901-120441.jpg

Besides the cam set etc i need to decide on the carb and if to keep the Quadrajet.If i am ill stick it int he cleaner this week and get a rebuild kit on the shopping list.

All i did today besides try to get organised i Helicoiled the block. It could be fate th6is. I didnt need to remove the engine 6to do this as it didnt need drilling out. Just run a tap through and hey ho there we go. I could of tapped it in situ easy enough, It was the drilling that would of been a struggle.

Still as said it could be ate now the engine is out. Better things may turn up :)

The kit i had only had Metric left in it so i got this kit for about £28. I do like a good Heli though as there so much more reliable than a threaded hole. Mor ein this old cast stuff. And well i cant see modern stuff being good. Usual Chinese crap castings.

20240901-143304.jpg

Tap

20240901-151735.jpg

20240901-151817.jpg

Scerw in Helicoil, easy :) And dont forget to snap off the twisty bit the insert tool holds onto with the other tool,in the kit. Just put doen the Helicoil ad hit with a hammer to snap it off.

20240901-151906 (1).jpg

20240901-152321.jpg

Oh how can i forget. Cam specs

this is what i found from the cam.

And yes i dont have a white board marker lol. YET

20240901-143322.jpg

So make of it what you will. Next i am checking the CC`s of the heads.

just waiting for a syring to arrive o fill the chamber.

All i had to hand as 10mm Plexi, and i wanted to make a drill bit organiser from it. Priorities here :)

20240901-143311.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The tops of the pistons does not look stock, do they ?
The size difference of intake to exhaust valves do not look stock ?
You are saying the rockers are only a 1.5:1 ratio ?

Waynio

CCCUK Member
The tops of the pistons does not look stock, do they ?
The size difference of intake to exhaust valves do not look stock ?
You are saying the rockers are only a 1.5:1 ratio ?
I dont know what a stock piston looks like
Same on IN and Ex valves.
I am going of what i found that the stock rocker ratio is 1.5/1.

So are you saying its not stock ?